HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   DIEP Flap problems one year later--scared (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65051)

kvogler 06-25-2016 06:54 AM

DIEP Flap problems one year later--scared

Brief history--2b HER2 positive back in 2011, did 6 rounds of chemo of taxotere, carboplatin, and Herceptin. Mastectomy of affected breast, 30 rounds of radiation, Herceptin continued for a year. Last year, I finally did reconstruction of breast using DIEP flap from my stomach. For the past year I was very happy with the result despite the numbness.

Now, the reconstructed breast is sore, tender, and some hard places. I have an appointment in a few days to see the plastic surgeon for a ultrasound. I'm scared of a recurrence. A few months ago in the end of March my 6 month follow up bloodwork looked good to my oncologist and we were even discussing switching over to a yearly follow up starting.

At this point even if I get told it's an infection, or fat necrosis and even if I have to lose the reconstructed breast, I'll be happy as long as it's not a recurrence.

But at least in my mind I can feel confident that I did all I could the first time. My appointment is Monday. This is one time I wish the weekend would hurry up and be over with!!! Prayers for strength needed. Since I've been through this once already, I no longer have blissful ignorance this time around. :(

caya 06-25-2016 02:45 PM

Re: DIEP Flap problems one year later--scared

Good luck on Monday, kvogler. We tend to imagine the worst, but try not to go there. Luckily your appointment is on Monday, hopefully you'll get some answers.
Keep us posted.

all the best
caya

Crn 06-26-2016 05:29 AM

Kvogler,
Hoping for the best for you. Monday is just around the corner. If you can, keep yourself busy doing something you enjoy.
Cindy

thinkpositive 06-26-2016 06:46 AM

I can understand your concern. We have all been there and for me, the worry has always been the worst part. Not to downplay the treatments we have been through which certainly are no walk in the park. However, the treatments are not constant like the worry is.

Try to stay busy and keep your mind occupied on other things. Monday will be here soon. Yoga, meditation, and being outdoors are effective for me.

I'll be sending positive, healing thoughts your way.

Take Care,
Brenda

SoCalGal 06-27-2016 05:30 PM

My money's on "scar tissue" - even after 14 years my reconstruction has a life and mind of it's own, and nothing's been cancer related w/reconstructed breasts since reconstruction in 2002/02.
so-------Really Try :) not to worry, enjoy your weekend, do something fun and stay present!!

kvogler 06-27-2016 07:37 PM

Re: DIEP Flap problems one year later--scared--update!

Major update!!! Thanks ladies with the suport! Great news! My sonogram did not indicate a need for a biopsy! What I have been feeling is 3 lumps from oil filled cysts as a result of some fat grafting a year ago!! My plastic surgeon says usually this sort of thing happens in the first few months after a reconstruction! But I'll take it!! So SoCalGal, I might have one with a mind of its own too! Lol! Still as a precaution the fluid drawn out will be sent off for testing just to make sure! Whew!!! Now to research what might have triggered these cysts. Maybe I should lay off the caffeinated coffee!