HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Physical Therapy for Port (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57557)

conomyself 03-13-2013 05:00 PM

Physical Therapy for Port

I've had some muscular pain in my neck and shoulder since I had my port placed. I find myself favoring it when I move around, so I think that's why.

I asked my primary care doc for physical therapy and started 6 days ago. I think it's really helping!

Rachael

tricia keegan 03-15-2013 07:33 PM

Re: Physical Therapy for Port

Rachael the discomfort only lasts 7-10 days, at least it did with me!

conomyself 03-15-2013 07:57 PM

I've had the port since August 2012 and while the discomfort isn't that bad it's increased over the months.

I had some muscle pain and restriction of movement of my head in that direction compared to the other side.

My mother-in-law suggested asking for physical therapy and it ended up being a really good idea, so I thought I would share it.

I'll probably have the port for a very long time, so I might as well address this now...

I'm glad yours resolved itself quickly :)

JennyB 03-15-2013 10:19 PM

Rachael,

Good on you for the go-getting. I think too many of us don't advocate enough for ourselves outside of the cancer arena so if its a QOL issue get it sorted and you did!

SusanN 03-16-2013 07:54 AM

Thank you sharing this info as I'm getting my port placed this Fri, March 22. I was getting blood drawn recently, the nurse told me her mother had a port and said it hurt everytime she had an infusion, that really put some fear in me as I thought the "port" was to "replace" the needles...as my last surgery, 5 veins were blown! :(
I have very thin skin, prayerfully, I won't experience alot of discomfort. I have heard that "lidocaine cream" put over the skin at least an before an infusion helps take away the sting/burning...anyone heard of this??

Jasmine 03-16-2013 08:38 AM

I just completed occupational therapy for complications from my mediport. My port had clotted frequently despite being on Coumadin and I had it replaced twice. We ended up pulling it with about 3 months of herceptin remaining. I had chronic pain in my neck, shoulder, arm and hand. The OT led to a nearly complete resolution of symptoms, I only wish I would'nt have waited so long for the treatment.

Ellie F 03-16-2013 11:05 AM

Hi Susan
I was really worried about having a port bur it's been the best thing I could have done. I don't have any numbing cream or spray before its accessed and apart from a small prick I don't have any problem. The infusion itself is completely pain free! I'm sure it will work out well for you.
Ellie

adelay 03-16-2013 01:01 PM

My port has been a blessing. I was always a hard stick and I can't even imagine how hard it would have been to administer chemo without it! A little spray right before they access it, never feel a thing, good luck.

jaykay 03-16-2013 01:16 PM

I have the lidocaine cream and never used it. I also just feel a prick and that's it. Have had the port in since October 2012 and haven't had any problems yet.

Janis

conomyself 03-16-2013 04:17 PM

I love having the port too, as opposed to getting and IV. I got lidocaine cream, and it does work. I used it a couple times but I don't anymore as it's not worth the bother to me. But if anyone has trouble with pain I think it's a good idea!

SusanN 03-16-2013 07:06 PM

Thank you so much for all your encouragement! I'll stay positive!!