HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Any Suggestions? This is getting Old! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37312)

Sheila 12-22-2008 02:20 PM

Any Suggestions? This is getting Old!

Just hoping someone out there can give me some suggestions or hope...I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Today completes my 4th round of Antibiotics, 5th bottle of cough medicine with codiene. I have been sick since the day after Thanksgiving, I missed going to San Antonio as I was diagnosed with viral pneumonia the day before. Almost 1 month later, i am no better, have been to the emergency room for more bloodwork, blood cultures, and xrays, missed my last chemo and will be unable to get the one tomorrow (no Taxol, just Herceptin) as i am still so sick. I have lost 10# (I needed that) and have no appetite. Today I felt like the movie Rudolph when i called my children and parents and "cancelled" Christmas (Dinner) which was to be at my house. I havcen't been out of the house except for Dr's visits for a month ( so that tells you how much Christmas shopping I've done!). The other good side (besides losing weight, is that my blood pressure has gotten so low, I have been able to go off the Avastin induced high Blood Pressure Meds! )

I am really getting down about this, tired of coughing, tired of fatigue....just wondering when it will end...I was so upset about missing San Antonio, but now Christmas....ughhhhhhhhhhh....and not to mention missing my chemo for over a month.... I need to recover and soon! This is getting the best of me.

StephN 12-22-2008 02:46 PM

Dear Sheila -
I KNEW something was amiss as your usual "post pattern" was not here lately.

Think you need to take that "scream ride" with Marie and then have a good long chat with your body about accepting the meds and getting on with things.

Viral pneumonia is a tough cookie to deal with. You need to give yourself some time even though this is not your usual modus operandi. YOU need to put YOU first while you take on this evil germ. Your body as at WAR with more than one bad foe, so please let yourself regroup and rest. Roll with it, even though it comes with the "winter blahs," which make that harder.

And then try some Laugh Therapy. Get some funny movies and hilarious books. NO politics or news channels for a while, OK? You need those endorphins at work.

That inner Warrior Woman is just taking a little break.

Mary Jo 12-22-2008 02:50 PM

No suggestions Sheila....other than to ditto what Steph said BUT I did want to offer you a big warm cyber hug and my love. I KNOW .... that isn't much and surely doesn't "fix" the problem BUT I'm hoping that knowing I care, at least brings a smile to your heart.

Mary Jo

caya 12-22-2008 02:54 PM

Sheila,

Sorry to hear you are under the weather - I don't have much to offer in the way of suggestions, but some chicken soup couldn't hurt. When I am sick I also make a concoction of apple cider vinegar, honey, lemon juice and boiled water - can't hurt either.

I hope you feel better soon...

all the best
caya

Believe51 12-22-2008 02:59 PM

Sheila

How I wish I could give you a gynormous hug right now. I was suprised how long you have been sick and wish you could just cop a break for once. As for Rudolph, this is my favorite Christmas cartoon and many great things happen for him. Christmas lives in your heart babe and although you may not have the company you are used to your family will be pleased and blessed to have you by their side. Their holiday will include you as they have for every year, their gift is for you to stay home and beat this! No sense in pushing yourself since this will hinder your recovery. You are here and of course you are tired. Besides being sick you need a chemo break in general. Your plate is full and this is all so much to digest. Is there any way after the holidays to make a special dinner date with the family??

You are the best gift they have under the tree. Please get well and concentrate on healing. When you are better you shall find that they are still there loving you more than yesterday! I cannot imagine being in your shoes, the holidays are a terrible time to be this sick. I have been keeping you in my prayers, gotta say them again since they have seemed to have gotten misplaced. I love you. And remember, when Mighty Oak (no company either) is sitting with me over the holidays, you ALL will be right besides us!>>Believe51

Believe51 12-22-2008 03:00 PM

Hahaha....I am starting the car now!!>>Believe51

PS: Cover your ears!

rinaina 12-22-2008 04:29 PM

Sheila, so sorry you have been ill for so long. I do have a suggestion. When I feel illness coming on I take oil of oregano immediately and in 99% of the time it works like a charm. I have several different forms of it. Capsules, oil of oregano drops and a flask of oregano juice. If getting sick or already sick I take 6 capsules 3x a day and or 15 drops of oil of oregano in a small amount of juice, very small amount of juice as it tastes terrible. If I am still feeling sick I drink the oil of oregano juice which also tastes terrible. Even if you are already sick, it will minimize your discomfort and make it so you are able to function. North American makes good oregano products. You can also find oregano oil and capsules at health stores or at Whole Foods. North American makes super oregano oil which is stronger then those sold at stores and works better. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. It certainly doesn't hurt to try this, but check with dr to make sure it's okay while on chemo. Also, have you taken Neulasta or Procrit to help with blood counts? Just a thought.

Mary Anne in TX 12-22-2008 05:14 PM

Hi Sheila!
When I was a little girl (5 I think) I was being treated for Rheumatic Fever and had been in bed & not allowed to walk for 5 months. I just couldn't get well and regain any energy. Eventually, I was taken to another city and re-diagnosed, but the inbetween time is what made it all work for me.
My grandmother came and stayed for a couple of weeks and she fed my mind. She told me Bible stories and put my mind and heart in peace. I know I was young, but I still today find that my mind leads the way to everywhere good that I go. I don't know who does that for you, but maybe it's time to call in some chips!
As my mind found comfort, my body followed and healing began.
Lots of good thoughts and love, ma

SoCalGal 12-22-2008 05:48 PM

Hi Sheila - I am so sorry for your weary-ness. I really get it and it's just tough. Our bodies are constantly working so it takes us longer to bounce - can we even call it bouncing back?

BUT - I just had one idea...what about scheduling a Christmas do-over? A re-Christmas? You can then still look forward to celebrating - and hosting and it will take some pressure off you and maybe lift some depression? I bet your little grandkids would like to have Santa twice and I'm sure your family would support anything that brought more joy to you. That way you can also take advantage of the after X-mas sales:). Since we make up all our own rules to survive - why not add this one? It's not like Jan 25 will "look" that much less snowy than Dec 25th? I don't think that any religious leaders would frown upon a tradition celebrated at a slightly different date. The time spent together will be the memory - not the date change.

I also feel that the break from chemo will be okay. Dr Conklin just talked to me about being sick and that spontaneous healing ofter occurs following a virus when your immune system gets optimized. So - Hold that thought and don't let your mind worry. Try to focus on the healing - resting - and let go of the regret for time lost. For me - that's always the worse and hardest part.

Wishing that you start to feel better right away. Stay strong. You are such an inspiration to me and others.
xo Flori

StephN 12-22-2008 06:35 PM

Just found this on AOL Health.

And I KNOW you LOVE chocolate!

"To Curb a Cough
Indulge in a square or two of dark chocolate. Researchers found that chocolate's theobromine compound is more effective than codeine at suppressing persistent coughs without the side effects of drowsiness and constipation.
To calm a nagging cough that keeps you awake at night, take 2 teaspoons of honey (1 to 2 teaspoons for kids; don't give to children younger than 1), along with 500 mg of Ester C 30 minutes before bed. The vitamin C (nonacidic Ester type won't upset stomachs) boosts the immune system in the early stages of your cough. Recent research shows that honey works better than either a cough suppressant or no treatment at all for relieving children's nocturnal cough and promoting sleep.
Experts: Jacob Teitelbaum, MD; Mark Moyad, MD, MPH"

Now I know what to do when my allergies are making me cough!

tricia keegan 12-22-2008 07:56 PM

Sheila I'm sorry things have been rough and hope they get better soon for you. I kow this is a trial but the reward is worth it, stick with it girl!

Catherine 12-22-2008 10:33 PM

Shelia,

No fun to be sick. No fun to have it drag on so long. We are stuck in the snow for Christmas. All of our plans with family are on hold, because the snow is so deep and the roads are so bad. If you have to postpone Christmas while you get well...so be it...As Believe said you are the most important present. Put all your energy into getting well. The wise women before me, have given you the secrets for recovery, I hope and pray they work.

Hugs, Catherine

sassy 12-22-2008 11:41 PM

Sheila,

So sorry that you are still having to deal with this. Just put everything else on hold and concentrate on SHEILA. Let others pick up the slack so you can rest and healing will come.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

naturaleigh 12-23-2008 06:29 AM

Suggestion

Hey Brenda,

Several years back, 10 or more years back, my Father, three friends and I had a cough that doctors could not diagnose. For all of us except one person, it lasted for several months. We were all given cough medicine with codiene and styroids and nothing helped. The one friend that did get through this thing ALOT quicker had a trip planned to Arizona and was determined not to miss it. Soon after she left our state which is South Carolina, the change of atmospher cured her!! Maybe everyone is right about going on a trip, that might be the ticket!! Try coming down south for awhile, the weather on Christmas day is going to be in the high 60's. URGGGH!!! I'll tell you what, we can change places for Christmas, this is way to warm for me for Christmas!!

Becky 12-23-2008 07:13 AM

Dear Sheila

It is so aggravating to not be able to live your life like you want too because of illness. I had a viral pneumonia prior to bc and I swear I had one during chemo too - I had a cold with a sinus infection and a cough that lasted 7 weeks.

I think the only thing you can really do is the old age remedy of plenty of hot toddies:) No, really - this is the time for the family to do Christmas and for you to write a check as a Christmas gift or tell them they will all get "Valentine's Day or Easter Presents" instead. Let someone else make the meal and let go of the guilt about it. You're sick. You need to rest (really rest) and get plenty of fluids. If you do anything at all, make yourself a big pot of soup and hunker down with it. If you feel like the antibiotics or other drugs your doctor has given you are not working, today is the day to have them change your prescriptions (due to the holiday).

Give yourself this month long break. You deserve to rest up from the nasty bugs that got you down.

Also, viral pneumonia takes awhile to get over. At first it seems like a bad cold but it goes on forever and zaps your strength, even if you don't have chemo but with chemo, it has to be worse.

Don't fret about SABCS either. I couldn't go this year too. We'll go together next year and be roommates again if you want!

Rest, rest, rest is the best advice I have. Let everyone else do the work this year. I know your family adores you and they won't mind.

Merry Christmas Sheila.

Jean 12-23-2008 09:11 AM

Sheila,
First of all I know your love of shoes! You must have a pair of soft super slippers, nothing ordinary now something super special...send me your foot size and address....

Next...while you are keeping those pretty toes warm and comfy you need the latest hot book on the market.
Something you enjoy...no serious reading material, simple fun.

I am a firm believer in the old remedy of chicken soup.
It just does the job.

At last: It is your time to lay back rest and allow others to do Christmas for you....that is the real spirit of the holiday.

I am now waiting for your address...
With Love,
jean

WomanofSteel 12-23-2008 11:34 AM

Sheila honey, so sorry to hear you have been ill. I know it takes a long time to get over pneumonia. If you have done all the tried and true, maybe a second opinion wouldn't hurt. I am also a firm believer that there is nothing a good bottle of polish blackberry brandy won't fix LOL. Hang in there honey and I know it's a bummer, but as someone said, maybe you can reschedule your dinner for when you are feeling better. Meanwhile rest, and don't be afraid to let someone else carry the load. Praying you recover soon!

Patb 12-23-2008 02:56 PM

All of the above advise is wonderful and I only know
from my father that this can take a long time to get over.

The Dr. told him to take deep breaths and cough often
during the day and lots of fluids. Please take care. The
weather isn't helping. Wish you were down here in sunny Florida. I will send sunshine and healing thoughts
your way today and always.
patb

harrie 12-24-2008 12:25 AM

Hi Sheila,
Be patient and meanwhile pamper yourself. Get your rest, drink a lot, go for short rides or short walks when you feel like it. Be patient, you will get better. A good book I really enjoyed was Eat,Read, Pray by Eliz Gilbert. It is a great book to take you mind off and away.
Make some good hot choc, set some snacks and watch a good dvd movie would be a great way to rest also.
take care. Rest, drink up, and be patient.
When you feel like a good grumble, we will all be hear for you to get it off your chest.
Aloha,
Maryanne

ElaineM 12-24-2008 11:56 AM

Any Suggestions?

As a bronchitis and bronchial pnemonia veteran I would like to share some ideas with you.
Lots of warm beverages and more water.
Hot citrus juices with honey.
No cold drinks.
Chicken and other healthy soups.
Tea, especially green or mint.
Ricola natural cough or throat drops.
Rest. Rest. Rest. Stay warm !!
Christmas dinner on New Years or whenever you feel like it. Celebrations can happen anytime. The Christmas spirit lives in our hearts forever.
Christmas movies or programs on T. V. instead of going out.