HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   After 11+ Years My Port is Pooped Out & Update (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57290)

Kim in CA 02-07-2013 04:41 PM

After 11+ Years My Port is Pooped Out & Update

Hello Everyone,

Went in for my Taxotere yesterday, and they were not able to get a blood return from my port. I knew this day was coming, because my port has been difficult to get a blood return for the last few years. Yesterday was different though, in that the nurse said it felt very mushy when the needle went in, and when she de-accessed it, saline was leaking from my chest.

So, after numerous attempts, they were able to get an IV started so I could still get my treatment. Boy, but you should see my poor arm today!

Anyway, I'm hoping to get a new port placed before my treatment next week, but am a little bit nervous about the new "power port" that the doctor wants me to have. Was doing a little reading up on them, and it seems some have had problems with them. My old one has served me well, despite being a bit finicky the last few years, and well......I was rather attached to the darned thing!

Also have good news to report.....

My tumor markers have continued to come down on the Taxotere and Herceptin.

The Her2 Serum is now in the normal range @ 9.2, and my CA15-3 is almost back in the normal range @ 35.6.

I have an MRI scheduled for next week to take a look at my liver. Hoping to see much improvement over the extensive mets they saw in November.

Blue Shield has denied coverage for the Perjeta, so looks like I may get it through Genentech which would be great, cause I'd really like to be done with the Tax-O Tears! I miss my hair, eyelashes, and energy!

At least we've got this cancer on the run, or so it seems, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Kim

jaykay 02-07-2013 04:56 PM

Re: After 11+ Years My Port is Pooped Out & Update

Great news, love the tax-o tears!

LeahM 02-07-2013 06:55 PM

First, great news about your tumor markers and prayers you get the Big P soon...hair and eyelashes are wonderful to have, even if they are very short...

Second, I had a power port and had no problems with it. It was removed after chemo and I get Vit H IV now. I have always had good veins so I wasn't concerned about having my port removed but....my veins are no longer as strong as they once were and part of me wishes I still had my power port. I also know a few other folks who have the power port and none of them had trouble either.

Best Wishes
Leah

StephN 02-07-2013 07:21 PM

Dear Kim -
SO happy to hear you have some good improvement for all your trouble with the big gun tax-o-tears. I had that too, and more from that drug!

I think they have improved upon the power ports. I was not advised to have one since I am a fairly thin person and the power port was bigger than the regular Bard port. You might ask to see one compared to the regular one before they are put in. Or at least get the dimensions.

Hope all will go well with whatever you choose and with the scans upcoming.

Bunty 02-07-2013 07:29 PM

Great news that your markers are coming down Kim. I'm sure you'll be fine with the new port - your old friend certainly served you well all these years. I've had mine now for over 5 years (not a power port) and it's been in continual use, and still going strong, but I do sometimes wonder when it will say enough! I would love to have my port in not such an obvious position on my chest though... Minor problem in the scheme of things really.

Best wishes for the MRI this week.

Cheers Marie

Mandamoo 02-07-2013 08:02 PM

Kim I am so pleased to hear that your markers are coming down. I hope that you have good MRI results to match.

I have had a power port for nearly 2 years and have had no troubles with it at all. Sometimes we have a little trouble getting blood but it usually just needs a good flush first - I have found that dancing around usually helps too.

I have Perjeta coming via Roche here in Australia though I was due to start this week and it has been held up in customs. I am hoping to start next week.

Wishing you well.
Amanda xx

Joanne S 02-07-2013 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Kim, Good luck with your new port. I hope and pray your MRI reveals great improvement. Hugs, Jo

Jackie07 02-08-2013 03:53 AM

Kim,

Those numbers sound great!

Hope you get your new port soon and hope it works well for you.

You are such an inspiration to all of us. Here's to another 11 years and more!

caya 02-08-2013 11:16 AM

Hi Kim,

Glad the numbers are coming down, and looking forward to more good news from you after you get your scan results back.

all the best
caya

Kim in CA 02-08-2013 11:34 AM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and positive input about power ports. The one I currently have has really become prominent with just the thinnest layer of skin over it.

My oncologist said I could choose which side to put the new port on, and am thinking I will stick with the same side (mastectomy side, never had reconstruction) since I've already got scars on that side.

Also was looking at Bard's website, and it says they have a slimline power port, that might be a good option for me since I have so little fatty tissue up top.

Will let you know what I end up with!

Kim

Deb33 02-08-2013 08:02 PM

I had the power port and loved it - don't be concerned - it is great at accomplishing what it needs to.

jml 02-09-2013 08:43 AM

WooHoo! Sounds like you've got this ship turned around & are heading in the right direction;)
Taxotere is a tough drug, but it's doing it's job for you and I just hope the SE's have become more tolerable. I'm hoping for the same for me.
I had trouble with my 10yr old port for the first time while I was in the hospital the other week & it really scared me. It was the first time that anyone has had any trouble at all with it & I feared that maybe it was the source of my staph infection & would have to have it removed & replaced. It turns out that all is well and won't have to cross that bridge and am so relieved.
I know so little about changing ports and have become quite comfortable with mine, because it's pretty well hidden as it's placed closer to my shoulder/armpit rather than my chest. Do they have to relocate the port, or can they just replace the old one with a new one in the same spot? Regardless, I hope the procedure goes easily and enjoy that nice, restful sleep during the swap out!
Hope that Pertuzumab is en route to you as we speak. I've had one cycle of the combo and was scheduled for my 2nd last Thursday, but have been granted an extra week off for my body to really recover since that first cycle really knocked me flat on my butt!
My hair started falling out much sooner on Taxotere than on any other of the many treatments I've been on. I guess I can let go of that pipe dream that maybe it won't fall out. Now that it's started and my scalp stings so much I just want it to be over.

So happy for your good news my friend. Keep it coming!

Keep the Faith~

Jessica

NEDenise 02-09-2013 10:24 AM

Kim,
Thanks for sharing your happy news!
I'm sure whatever you decide to do about your port will work out fine.

I'm sorry about your hair and eyelashes. I HATED that part of this nightmare.
Hoping and praying that the Big P is running into that new port very, very soon.
Denise