HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hepatitis e (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61003)

Redwolf8812 05-16-2014 02:53 PM

Hepatitis e

I have hepatitis e. The oncologist just called me - all the cultures and blood they took in the hospital finally came back. Health Department is involved (I guess 'cause it's rare in non-third-world countries?). I may have to have more testing done before being able to start chemo. Please pray that chemo is not delayed too long. Thanks.

Redwolf8812 05-16-2014 03:17 PM

Re: Hepatitis e

I have to see a gastroenterologist at UPenn who specializes in liver diseases. She wants to get me on an anti-viral med so this doesn't flare up again when I'm back on chemo and my white blood cells go down.

:-) Penny

Carol Ann 05-16-2014 05:38 PM

Oh my gosh Penny, I'm so sorry. :( I'm praying the gastroenterologist at UPenn can get you started on an anti viral ASAP that will allow you to start your chemo again. Thanks for posting and letting us know how you are ... I was thinking about you today and wondering how you were doing.

Hang in there! We are all rooting for you!

Carol Ann

Pamelamary 05-16-2014 08:43 PM

Oh Penny, at least you now have a diagnosis for the liver problems. I hope all goes well with the anti-virals.
Best wishes.... Pam

Adriana Mangus 05-17-2014 02:28 PM

Hi Penny,

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Do the doctors have an idea as to why or how you end up with hepatitis?
Have you been hospitalized lately? I don't even know how is it spread? fluids contact? food?

It is rare in the U.S., but I understand it's highly treatable.

Thank you for letting us know, and at least now you know it's not your liver.

Take care,

Adriana

Redwolf8812 05-20-2014 06:41 AM

No idea how I got the hepatitis e. They assume it was through a food source. The health department is all involved since it's so rare in this country. Plus, my oncologist says it'll be written up in some journal. My appointment is today with the GI doctor.

Thanks, everyone.

Redwolf8812 05-20-2014 02:27 PM

Saw the GI doc (she's great, thanks be to God). Now waiting to get bloodwork done. The anti-viral med may take a couple days to get, due to insurance issues/approvals. Once I'm on the med, they'll monitor liver function numbers. Once it's evident that the anti-viral med is killing the hepatitis e, I can go back on chemo. Praying none of this takes too long, but it's in His Hands. I'm at His Mercy. Praise God for His Will!

KsGal 05-20-2014 09:49 PM

I didn't even know there was such a thing as hepatitis e. I got hepatitis when I was in the third grade from a water fountain, and I missed school for four months. Everyone hated me because they had to get shots, so I wasn't much looking forward to going back anyway. Ugh! I'm so glad that at least they have a concrete diagnosis and you will be able to be treated correctly. Sending lots of prayers and positive energy your way.

Redwolf8812 05-22-2014 08:12 AM

My husband called UPenn's Pharmacy. The hepatitis med is only $60! Had we known that 2 days ago, we would have just paid for it then. So we're going to take a ride there this afternoon to go get it. Thanks for all the prayers - it made us think to call and ask about paying for it ourselves. We've become creatures of habit - so used to having insurance take care of everything. Thank the Lord for such good insurance.

Carol Ann 05-22-2014 02:29 PM

Hi Penny, so glad you're able to get the right meds for the He ... and I know that its quite a hike over to UPenn from where you live, hope the drive goes/went well and you're not too worn out afterwards.

Rooting for you!!

CA

Jackie07 05-23-2014 01:25 AM

Looked it up on the PubMed database as I'd never heard of Hepatitis e before...

Hepatology. 2014 May 13. doi: 10.1002/hep.27219. [Epub ahead of print]
Current epidemiology of hepatitis E virus infection in the United States: Low seroprevalence in the National Health and Nutrition Evaluation Survey.
Ditah I1, Ditah F, Devaki P, Ditah C, Kamath PS, Charlton M.
Author information
Abstract
Analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Evaluation Survey (NHANES) 1988-1994 dataset found a relatively high seroprevalence (21%) of hepatitis E virus (HEV) infection in the US general population. Using data obtained within the NHANES 2009-2010 survey where a high performance assay for HEV was utilized, we have estimated the weighted sero-prevalence of HEV infection among US individuals 6 years and older. We also evaluated factors associated with HEV sero-positivity. A total of 8,814 individuals were included in the analysis. The median age of study participants was 37 years (IQR 17-58 years), with 51.2% being female. The weighted national seroprevalence of HEV was 6% (95% CI 5.1%-6.9%). About 0.5% of those with HEV had evidence of recent exposure (IgM positive). In the univariate analyses, factors associated with HEV seropositivity were increasing age (P-trend <0.001), birth outside of the US, Hispanic race, and "meat" consumption (>10times/month). No significant association was observed with low socio-economic status, water source or level of education. In the multivariate analysis, only older age remained predictive of HEV seropositivity. Conclusions: The weighted national seroprevalence of HEV in the US is much less than previously reported. Using data obtained with a high performance assay, the sero-prevalence of HEV was estimated at 6.0% in the US. Based on these results, the sero-prevalence of HEV is only one-third as high as previously reported. (Hepatology 2014).

Redwolf8812 05-26-2014 09:25 AM

No more hepatitis e - Happy Birthday to Me! Just got a call from the gastroenterologist - there's no more hepatitis e in my system - praise God! This is all from the bloodwork that I had done when I was in her office - before I fought to get the anti-viral med, so the fight was for nothing, but who cares - I can get back in the game and back on chemo. God has worked another miracle in my life! For someone with a suppressed immune system, the hep was fought off with barely a fight, so it must be the work of God. All Glory and Honor to Our Lord! Thank you all for your prayers - can you see the results? I can!

Carol Ann 05-26-2014 09:40 AM

Wonderful news, Penny! :) What a relief!! Have a good Memorial Day!

CA