HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   leg cramps on 3 week dosing (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28963)

LAURIE 07-02-2007 08:31 AM

leg cramps on 3 week dosing

Last Tuesday was my first 3 week herceptin dosing. My leg cramps are much worse than my 1 week dosing. Do they get better as the weeks go on? Are they just bad the first week and get better as the three weeks go on? Is there something I can do to help the cramps. I don't feel them to bad if I am moving, but I need to sit sometimes and sleeping is crazy. I stretch my legs in the morning and get charlie horses. ouch, very painful. Any advice?

I really want to continue with the 3 week dosing, it will be so much easier for work/life/treatment balance.

suzan w 07-02-2007 08:39 AM

I, too, had terrible leg cramps while on herceptin...and still get them, but not very often. They would happen at night for the most part. Sometimes standing on a cold floor barefoot would help. Also heat applied to the affected leg. I would heat up a wet towel in the microwave (be careful, just a few seconds works...don't want to cook your legs!!!)and wrap my leg in that. I try to eat lots of potassium rich foods...Good luck...cramps are SO painful!

Lisa1962 07-02-2007 09:14 AM

I had really bad cramps in the beginning - I'm over the 2 year mark - and they are still happening, but not as bad. I'm not sure if it is because my body has gotten used to the Herceptin - or if I don't stretch my legs in my sleep like I used to (that always set off a cramp). I used to love to point my toes and get a good stretch in when I woke up in the morning - and that just spells disaster for me (leg and foot crams) now.

Gerri 07-02-2007 01:07 PM

I had Herceptin every three weeks from the beginning. I experienced leg, foot AND toe cramps! I finished Herceptin in March and still get them occaisonally. Sometimes my toes go into a cramp and they almost bend upward. OUCH!

IRENE FROM TAMPA 07-02-2007 03:55 PM

leg cramps

Hi Laurie -

I cant really tell you what to do, but I do know what you are going through

I was on Herceptin for about 5 years when I started getting severe leg cramps. I kept telling my docs who kept telling me they had not heard this from Hercepting before. Well they stopped me for a while and the cramps stopped. Went back on it, and they restarted. With me though, I did go quite some time before they began.

I am now on Tykerb/Xeloda and the same thing is happening. This time I get them in my calves, my hands and toes, and the sides just above my hips. All of my blood work is fine, so I guess its just something else to deal with as a side effect. I dont dare stretch my legs at night or I have to quickly jump out of bed step hard to pull those muscles back.

Just keep well hydrated and watch your potass. levels and good luck to you Laurie and everyone else who is suffering from this also.

Carol H. 07-02-2007 04:17 PM

This is an old "wives tale" that has been used for many years to ward off leg cramps. Put a bar of ivory soap under your sheet. We don't know why it works, but who cares as long as you can get some relief. Carol B.

hutchibk 07-02-2007 06:51 PM

I had them on herceptin and I also have them on Tykerb/Xeloda. But, I have ways of keeping them to a minimum... My nutritionist tells me that as much as potassium, it is also a sign of magnesium deficiency. So, I take ultra mineral supplements everyday and there is magnesium with my calcium as well. Another key is staying ultra-hydrated. So I drink lots of water, including some electrolyte water (Smart water) several times a week. Also, when they make me miserable while sleeping, I get up and eat a banana in the moment. It takes about 5 minutes, but it works about 98% of the time!

Lolly 07-02-2007 07:34 PM

I had cramps in my toes, calves and diaphram muscles while on all my various chemos + Herceptin. It was pretty bad so my onc suggested daily magnesium supplements which really has helped. I take two 250mg tabs daily. I'm now on Tykerb/Abraxane and still get cramps if I forget to take my magnesium daily.

Jean 07-02-2007 10:35 PM

Lauire,
I have had calf, toe, finger cramps while on herceptin. Finished my 1 yr.
in May - still have cramping now and then...I have been taking magnesium
and potassium along with foods that are rich in potassium. They are reeally very painful, I even had the cramping come on when I was driving
in my toes. Had to pull the car over and get out to stand on my feet.
I have had many a night of jumping out of bed in pain to walk the cramps out.

It does improve...hang in there.

Hugs
Jean

debski 07-03-2007 05:14 AM

I have leg cramps at the moment and seem to sweat all night too. Perhaps that's why you lose minerals? Why do I only get the cramps at night?

Lisa1962 07-03-2007 06:40 AM

I wondered why I only got cramps at night - until I realized that I was getting them during the daytime also - but usually recognized the signs and did things to stop them before they got too bad. I'd feel a twinge in my calf and start to stretch that muscle without even realizing it - or if the muscle on the bottom of my foot started to cramp - I'd kick my shoe off and work my foot around.

I guess when I'm sleeping it just happens - by the time I'm awake it's bad enough that I'm muttering "ouch ouch shxt ouch cramp ouch ooo ooo cramp damxxit"

mke 07-03-2007 09:24 AM

I get them too, hands and feet. As others have said, potassium and magnesium supplements seem to help. I finished my year of herceptin and hope that it will end the cramps.

harrie 07-03-2007 01:00 PM

Bananas worked well for me. Also, keeping well hydrated helps.

LAURIE 07-06-2007 08:58 PM

I have noticed a reduction in the cramps in the second week. It was weird not going for my Tuesday treatment every week. I have increased my potassium and magesium intake and cut back on my water pill. This is still so much better than every week. December (end of herceptin) seems so much closer now. thank you all for the suggestions and incouraging words.

"sometimes you can't make it on your own" U2

harrie 07-06-2007 10:29 PM

Laurie, I agree with you 100%...it is SOOOOOOO nice being off chemo now and just on a 3 wk herceptin schedule!!! Funny though...when I went in for my herceptin, it was so nice to see the staff again. I kinda missed them! I told them they must be a great staff for a chemo pt to say she missed them!!
Maryanne