HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Herceptin ends in 2 months/ recurrence??? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62534)

Lnmum 01-20-2015 07:40 PM

Herceptin ends in 2 months/ recurrence???

I will finish Herceptin in March. When I had bilateral prophylactic mastectomies on 10/3/14, I had moderate ductual dysplasias bilaterally. How can that be? Is the herceptin not working? Does it have to do with having a BRCA2 mutation? Thanks for any ideas.

Lnmum 01-22-2015 12:26 PM

Re: Herceptin ends in 2 months/ recurrence???

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm very discouraged by lack of response on this post and my last one.

Lucy 01-22-2015 01:11 PM

Hi Loren, I'm sorry you feel discouraged by no responses to the posts. I had read this one but I didn't have anything to contribute so I didn't respond. I tested negative on the BRCA tests and I don't know what ductal dysplasis is so I have no idea what that means in terms of whether the herceptin is working. All I can say is that you're doing everything you can to fight the disease. Beyond that, I hope someone else will offer insight on what this could mean. Have you discussed with your oncologist? If so, what have they offered in the way of information.

Hang in there and know you're not alone in this. (sending good vibes and cyber hugs your way)

Lnmum 01-22-2015 03:29 PM

Thanks, Lucy. I am very thankful for your response. I haven't had an appointment with my oncologist since I received results from the mastectomies. I have an appointment next week with her. My PS said I made an excellent call by having the prophylactic bilateral mastectomies.

Pat94 01-24-2015 11:09 AM

Sorry for the lack of replies. I haven't experienced what you are going threw. I had the tumor, Padgett's, and multiple sites of DCIS but had surgery before chemo or radiation. I live in W-S but grew up in Souhside VA. My family always went to Duke until I moved here.

rhondalea 01-24-2015 01:50 PM

Herceptin treats HER2+ cancer only. Atypical ductal hyperplasia isn't cancer; it's an abnormal cell growth pattern that may become cancer. Herceptin has no effect on ADH, so the presence of ADH is not an indication of Herceptin's efficacy or lack thereof.

Good call on the bilateral. I did the same, and indeed, they found ADH in my "healthy" breast.

Lnmum 01-27-2015 03:36 PM

Thanks, Pat and Rhondalea.
Rhondalea, how is the cognitive therapy? My brain is so slow and forgetful now. Thanks to taxol (and herceptin??)