HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Frightening development with my daughter (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61864)

KirisMum 09-22-2014 06:13 AM

Frightening development with my daughter

She was doing so well up until just a day or two ago. Her MRI ten days ago showed her brain mets had “mildly progressed,” so they took her off the arry-380 trial and started a 2 week washout so she could start the xeloda/neratinib trial a few days before her big wedding is scheduled on Oct 3. Yesterday she had a headache in the morning, then started seeing flashing lights, but even when I talked to her in the early afternoon, she seemed fine. By 6:00 she was feeling nauseated and worse, so the oncologist on call had her come in for another MRI, which showed a 50% increase in her tumors in just 10 days! She is triple positive, and strongly HER2+, with about a dozen mets she had WBR for last November and that regrew as of May. She is home on dex now and we are waiting to hear from her regular oncologist today to see if she can begin the new trial early, though I know that the protocols for washout are typically very strict. Please keep her in your prayers. She has been looking forward so much to this wedding, and as recently as last week she told me she felt great and I was actually happy she was on a chemo break. :( We are all very scared, but holding onto hope.

Mtngrl 09-22-2014 07:09 AM

Re: Frightening development with my daughter

Oh, my. That's very scary. I'm so sorry.

Thank you for letting us know what to pray about.

Carol Ann 09-22-2014 08:35 AM

Oh I am so sorry. I am praying for you both too.

Carol Ann

Nurse4u2day 09-22-2014 09:20 AM

Keeping holding onto that hope. I hope they can fast track her new treatment . Prayers for your family

thinkpositive 09-22-2014 12:46 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I will keep you all in my thought and prayers.

Jean 09-22-2014 01:14 PM

Of course will keep her in my prayers.....and positive energy being sent to you also.

jean

Lisalou 09-22-2014 03:13 PM

So sorry to hear this. Hoping for restart for her soon and OK for her wedding day. Thinking of you both

tricia keegan 09-22-2014 04:00 PM

So sad to read this and sending good wishes to you all. xx

KirisMum 09-22-2014 05:33 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your kindness and support. Kiri spoke with her oncologist this morning, who feels it would be too risky at this point to wait another week to join the Xeloda/neratinib trial. So they are starting her on Xeloda/tykerb tomorrow--a secondary choice but one we hope works until neratinib is approved, hopefully in early 2015. She's currently on steroids, which she hates, but they have stopped the headaches and nausea and vision problems, so hopefully at least part of the symptoms were due to swelling, not tumor. She feels and sounds a lot more like herself, and we're hoping that things calm down so she can enjoy her wedding.

I so appreciate all your prayers and support. It's a nightmare watching this lovely 29-year-old girl battling this beast that is robbing her of a long and productive life. She is beautiful, athletic, bright and so much in love. It is not clear to me at all that the universe is "unfolding as it should," but I keep hope and faith that things will come right in the end.

Laurel 09-22-2014 05:51 PM

You are so correct that the universe is a kilter and wibbly wobbly where such a vivacious young woman is battling this un-chivalrous foe! I am relieved to hear she is improving with the dratted steroids. Putting her into my prayer journal!

Send us a few photos of the wedding!

Carol Ann 09-22-2014 05:51 PM

I am so hoping the Xeloda/tykerb will work for her, thanks for posting and letting us know she is doing better with her headaches, nausea and vision problems stopping. Praying she continues to improve.

Carol Ann

europa 09-22-2014 06:32 PM

I am so sorry to read. I will pray for her as I so want her to experience so many things, including her wedding and being married to her love.

Adriana Mangus 09-22-2014 07:45 PM

Kris ,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm praying for a beautiful wedding free of side effects from chemo.

Please ask the oncologists about tremadol, is an oral medication for brain cancer and it does crosses the blood brain barrier.

Thank you for keeping us appraised of your daughter's condition.

Sending you positive vibes and bright light.

Hugs.

Adriana

sassy 09-22-2014 07:49 PM

Keeping you on my thoughts and prayers for continued improvement and a joyous wedding!

Adriana Mangus 09-22-2014 07:49 PM

Kris,

Sorry I wrote the wrong medication name for brain tumors. The name is Temozolomide or Temodar, Temodal.

My apologies.

suzan w 09-22-2014 08:14 PM

Praying for good results and happy days ahead.

SusanN 09-22-2014 09:10 PM

Sending my prayers and strength to ALL of you that God will encompass you with His love, peace, joy and healing!

Pamelamary 09-23-2014 12:29 AM

Hold on to that hope! May your daughter respond well to her treatment and enjoy a wonderful wedding.
Thinking of you both.... Pam

BonnieR 09-23-2014 11:25 AM

She has overcome challenges before and will be having her wedding as planned. She is a strong and determined girl. I feel like I know her. And I love her And I love you too
Keep the faith

waterdreamer 09-23-2014 11:54 PM

I have never had WBR, but have had radiation for two brain mets on two separate occasions. Since that time, my brain MRI's have been clear. The last brain radiation I did was March 2013 - 17 months ago. My advice from my own personal experience is to cut out ALL sugars and to eat a low carb diet. Nothing processed. If I want to grow a brain met, I just eat sugar, not that anyone ever wants one. This is my personal experience. There is always hope and you are all in my prayers.