HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Severe reaction to 1st dose of Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31486)

GuitarMom 12-12-2007 05:16 PM

Hermiracles,

I'm glad to hear your oncologist feels you can give it another try. With all the benefits of this drug, it would be a shame for you not to get it. Best of luck!!!

DeAnn

Bill 12-14-2007 07:26 PM

Hello Hermiracles! I can imagine how trying that must have been for you and your husband. Thank God it wasn't worse. My wife never had a reaction to Herceptin, but when she began her first treatment, she was on a clinical trial of Lapatinib (Tykerb), Taxol, and Herceptin. At each infusion of the Taxol, they gave her Decadron, Aloxi, and the Benadryl. We discovered early on that if they gave her the Benadryl at the standard rate (10-15 minutes, I think) she got really antsy, so they slowed it to 30 minutes and then she dozed mostly. Sometimes they gave her Ativan as well. At that time she had a "temperamental" port and if she moved very much, it would quit feeding. She had liver mets, but also 2 mets on her spine, and they gave her Zometa once a month as a bone srengthener. I'm not in the medical field, but I was wondering if maybe that could help you as well. I don't know the pros and cons of Zometa, but it made Nikki feel like she had the flu for a few days. Also, at our treatment center, they would give premeds in the same order for everyone, Benadryl, Aloxi, Decadron. I noticed some people were getting sick within 30 minutes of infusion,(some I think were new and understandably scared), so I suggested to the nurses that sometimes Aloxi should be given first in those cases and it seemed to help. Don't be reluctant to ask alot of questions and sometimes the chemo. nurses, God bless them all, do tend to get into the same routine on premeds. Sometimes changing the order may help. Stay strong, Bill

dawbs 12-15-2007 01:45 AM

reaction to first dose of herceptin

I too am in Australia (Queensland) and had that sort of reaction to my first dose 15 months ago. I had fevers chills and rigors and couldn't even speak as I would bite my tongue when I tried to. My back (where the secondaries were) ached, my temperature, BP, pulse rate, oxygen sats all fluctuated wildly, and I was very short of breath, so I was put on Oxygen and given all the premeds. Things settled over the course of 40-50 minutes and I have had no trouble since. My oncologist told me it was good thing..... it was a cytokine reaction to dead tissue as the herceptin killed off all the tumour cells. So I took solace in the knowledge that I was a "good responder" and I haven't looked back since.

Hope this helps

Vicki

hermiracles 12-19-2007 05:20 AM

Wow - thanks folks for all your great information and support! That is so helpful http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif
I am seeing my local Onc tomorrow to discuss the next step in relation to Herceptin and Taxotere ( I think) - will let yous know how I go.

Feeling a lot more hopeful as I was worried they might say no to Herceptin because of the reaction - but looks like I should still be able to have it with the right pre-med etc.

Thanks!
Blessings
Hermiracles

Crystal 01-09-2008 11:13 PM

Herceptin

Thank you for posting all this information. I will be starting Herceptin after my last chemo treatment tomorrow. Yay me! I had trouble with my chemo at first and have had to change meds and up steriods to deal with the side effects. I hope I don't have to go through all that again with the Herceptin.
Glad to hear you will more than likely be able to continue. I look forward to hearing what happens. God bless you.

hermiracles 01-09-2008 11:36 PM

Hi Crystal - just to let you know I did go ahead with the Herceptin again and all went well with appropriate pre-meds and a slower infusion.

Hope the Herceptin goes well for you too.
Blessings
Hermiracles

lilyecuadorian 01-10-2008 08:16 AM

great Hermiracles hope the next herceptin is less reaction ....then this one ....but as long you can get it that is all matters ...

Bubble 01-17-2008 05:43 AM

Hi,
Just wanted to add that I too had a similar experience.
I am on Herceptin + Navelbine. Theyhad not yet started any of these - at the start of the day, they were giving me pre chemo (saline with anti nausea etc). The infusion was slow. The nurse came and increased the flow. Within 5 minutes - I statred shivering unconrollably - the rigors- entire bodywas xshaking and then my temp shot up to 103 degress F.
My oncologist suspected that my port was infected and put me on serious antibiotics and I have been fine since. I do think that the speed of the infusion had something to do with the problem.
Hope you are doing fine now.
Love
Bubble

Ling Abel 12-26-2009 12:32 PM

Herceptin Severe allergic reaction

I was lucky to find this forum. I had the most horrible reaction to my first dose of Herceptin. I ended up in the Emergency room of my local hospital. The constant shaking and fever, high heart beat terrified me and my husband. They gave me Benydryl and fluids to rehydrate me and I feel much better today.
I had read through all your posts and am now better armed to tackle this question with my doctor. While I'm sure the doctor knows how to deal with severe reactions it will do no harm to have her understand that I too am now informed and have a few suggestions of my own :)
Thank you everyone on this board for posting and giving us Noobi's a little direction and support.

SoCalGal 12-31-2009 12:29 AM

Re: Severe reaction to 1st dose of Herceptin

I think it is very possible and likely that you will do just fine with benedryl pre-med and maybe the steroid, too. FOR SURE they should infuse very slowly. Even now, after years, I have Herceptin over an hour. Most people have theirs in half-hour.

Second story - several years ago, after (4) taxotere treatments with no problems, right in the middle of treatment #5 I suddenly felt like I was going to die - pass out, couldn't breathe, and could only quickly yell for help. They shut my drip and I recovered quickly. They gave me some benedryl and then the doc came in. "I want you to finish your drip today". It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, let them turn that drip back on. But they ran it very slowly and I was fine.

Third thing - you are like me - the ever-ready bunny. We are crazy warrior-women. You are not going anywhere. Forget about dying. You are going to raise those kids. I promise.

Blessings back to you!
Flori