HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Profiles In Courage (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Second Decade - Still NED - Gabrielle (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43276)

Gabrielle 01-11-2010 10:00 AM

Second Decade - Still NED - Gabrielle

Friends,

Starting 11th year. Still NED. Best wishes to all as we travel on this journey.

-Gabrielle

vlcarr 01-11-2010 02:04 PM

Re: Second Decade - Still NED - Gabrielle

Wow, thank you for sharing that. I'm always so happy when I read news like this on the board.

Wishing you many more years of NED!!!

schoolteacher 01-11-2010 02:08 PM

Gabrielle,

Thank you for sharing such encouraging information. I needed to hear this today.

Amelia

ElaineM 01-11-2010 04:10 PM

Congratulations !! You are a good role model for everyone. We can all learn something valueable from you.
Are you following a special diet? Exercise? What has kept you NED for so long?
Whatever it is keep up the good work.

karen z 01-11-2010 04:57 PM

Gabrielle,
Thank you for the good news!

Gabrielle 01-13-2010 08:02 PM

Hi Friends,

Thank you for the messages. As a reminder, I was diagnosed Dec 1999, Stage III, infiltrating ductal, 9 positive nodes out of 21, Her2Nue, estrogen negative, 5.2 cm tumor. I was 44 years old. My maternal grandmother died of bc but I tested negative for BRCA 1 & 2 (which I got for my kids).

I had a mastectomy on the cancerous breast, 4 rounds of adriamycin/cytoxin, 4 rounds of taxotere, 25 hits of radiation, 52 weekly herceptins. I was an aggressive “SOB” in guiding my own treatment but not out of any intelligent design; just a primal need to survive for my young kids.

9 months later, I opted for a prophylactic mastectomy on the other breast and a year later, a prophylactic hysterectomy.

I do nothing special. I eat anything I want; I haven't cut out anything. I generally follow a good diet that I think of as a modified Atkins; lots of meat and vegetables, but also, a lot of fruit. I drink coffee and alcohol; I eat chocolate and other sweets. I have a desk job; I only walk for exercise. I stay ferociously busy - 4 courses away from completing my doctorate which I started 2 years ago.

I don’t think I have anything to “teach” anyone; I think it’s all a crap shoot. I have no idea why I survived and other worthy women did not. In my opinion, the ones who have passed are the real warriors. Somehow, I scraped through.

I remember the terror and despair. Block it out, minimize it, compartmentalize it…whatever. It’s all in God’s hands.

Pulling and praying for all of you.

-Gabrielle

chrislmelb 01-21-2010 02:45 AM

Great to read your report once a year. Keep it up.

krisvell 02-28-2010 04:38 PM

Gabrielle
You are true inspiration and thank you very much for sharing your story. My stats seem similar to you and I am hoping for a positive outcome like you have achieved. Reading your success story is very helpful.

Congrats to You and many more great years.

Kris....

Jackie07 02-28-2010 04:51 PM

Gabrielle,

Thanks for taking time to write your 'testimony' - a very honest 'I have no idea why I survived...' story.

And writing in the midst of your busy schedule persuing your doctorate...

Thanks. Drop by anytime when you need a break. We love to hear from you.

bejuce 02-28-2010 05:23 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story!!! And congratulations on your 11th year and counting!!!!

Btw, since you're ER-/PR-, I think making it to 11 years is a huge accomplishment - you can pretty much consider yourself cured! I had read somewhere that ER-/PR- have the highest risk early on, and you'll clearly over the hill for that.

Thanks for giving me hope!!!

Marcia

ElaineM 02-28-2010 05:27 PM

Congratulations !! Great news !! Keep up the great work.

v-ness 02-28-2010 07:25 PM

gabrielle - your posts are terrific. first, congratulations on the second decade NED. that's just wonderful. thanks for the background you gave too. and most of all, i am psyched to see that you didn't give up anything - my head SWIMS when i read all the DON'T's all over the place. i mean god, life is supposed to be enjoyed. so seeing your history is quite encouraging because that's how i want to live too. thank you for sharing your success and your great attitude. valerie

vlcarr 02-28-2010 08:30 PM

Now I'm really inspired as you were hormone negative too. Like Valerie, my head swims reading all the information about what you should/should not do. I've questioned everything I've ever done in my life that could have caused this bc-none in my family and no other types of cancer either.

But, when I realized I know people who have lived worse lifestyles than mine and never had cancer, I quit the blame game.

I want to do all I can to avoid a recurrence, but I just don't want it to rule my life and stress about everything I eat or don't eat. I am trying to eat healthier......

Thank you so much for your post.

Gabrielle 04-04-2010 01:18 PM

Hi Friends,

Just checking in to say Happy Easter!

Stuffing my face with Easter egg cake and champagne. So much to be grateful for!

Take care,
Gabrielle

Gabrielle 12-26-2010 04:35 PM

Ending 11th year, hello 12th year! NED.

Wishing all of you a blessed and peaceful Christmas season.

Gabrielle

StephN 12-26-2010 08:07 PM

Der Gabrielle -
Thanks for logging on and letting us know that all is still going very well for you.

I have also begun my 11th year in the cancer game, and since you are just a little ahead of me I have something to work toward - catch up with Gabrielle!

Have a wonderful year ahead filled with many blessings.

Mary L 12-27-2010 08:04 AM

Wow!!! Great job. I am so happy for you. Congratulations. Mary l

candlegranny 12-27-2010 01:18 PM

Gabrielle, thank you for the post. I am scared and folks like you give me so much hope. I had quite a bit of node involvement. You had herceptin back then? was that in a clinical trial? just wondering. I was trying to monitor what i eat but that is hard to do and hard not to do. thanks for your positive post. God surely has a plan for you!!!

Gabrielle 12-28-2010 10:20 AM

Steph,

You've been through so much! My heart goes out to you and I'm very impressed with your put-one-foot-in-front-of-the-other attitude. I wish you many more successful years of battling this disease.

-Gabrielle

Jackie07 01-03-2011 01:29 AM

Gabrielle,

Happy New Year! Love your picture!