HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Alcohol (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62282)

Footbal_nut 12-03-2014 03:20 PM

Alcohol

Hi all,
Hope that everyone is doing well! Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on alcohol consumption. I know some women who won't drink a drop while others continue to drink socially.

I see that many of you are long term survivors (woo hoo!!) so am interested with understanding who is still raising a glass and how you're doing.

As for me - I still continue to drink socially which might equate to 6 drinks over a weekend.

Love to all!!

tricia keegan 12-03-2014 04:26 PM

Re: Alcohol

Hi Ang,

I still enjoy my few glasses of wine, however I quit smoking a few years ago and gained weight and think the wine is the culprit as I eat a healthy diet so its my new resolution to drink only at the weekends and plan to drop a dress size....we have to have some enjoyments after all!

Nurse4u2day 12-03-2014 05:39 PM

I still enjoy an occasional drink. My thought is this unless a doctor can conclusively say that my cancer was caused by something(s) I will continue to eat and drink as I did before my diagnoses. My only significant change is I try to buy organic when ever possible.
There is this thing called quality of life and if I can't enjoy an occasional drink or sugary food well that to a small degree interrupts my quality of life.

KathyT 12-03-2014 06:36 PM

I have read different reports, but the latest one said if you do drink only have one drink a day and wine is preferred over beer. I still have a glass of wine a night but am trying to cut down to weekends only. I have three little ones so I need that drink to unwind lol!!!

rhondalea 12-03-2014 07:41 PM

I drank very rarely before cancer, and I haven't had a drink since. Nothing to do with cancer, though; I just never enjoyed alcohol very much.

thinkpositive 12-04-2014 07:47 AM

I'm not yet a long term survivor but plan to be. Prior to my diagnosis I would have one drink a day. However, my breast surgeon said that having more than 3 drinks per week increased risk. I've read conflicting reports on this but have decided to stop this daily habit. I now drink very rarely (maybe one drink every few months). For me, it just wasn't that big of a deal to quit.

I do agree with the responses you have received regarding quality of life. Moderation would seem to be the key.

Jackie07 12-04-2014 08:21 AM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24559007
Nutr Hosp. 2014 Mar 1;29(3):618-28. doi: 10.3305/nh.2014.29.3.7192.
[Cancer and its association with dietary patterns in Córdoba (Argentina)].
[Article in Spanish]
Pou SA1, Niclis C2, Aballay LR3, Tumas N4, Román MD5, Muñoz SE6, Coquet JB7, DÃ*az Mdel P8.
Author information
Abstractin English, Spanish
INTRODUCTION:
Feeding habits play a prominent role in carcinogenesis. The dietary patterns approach applied to the study of chronic diseases is of increasing interest in nutritional epidemiology. Nevertheless, it has been seldom used in Latin America.
OBJECTIVE:
To identify dietary patterns in adult population in Córdoba (Argentina) and to estimate their effects on the risk of colon-rectal (CRC), urothelial (UC), breast (BC) and prostate (PC) cancers.
METHODS:
Four case control studies were conducted, 2006-2012 for CRC, PC, BC and UC. To identify the dietary patterns, a Principal Components Factor Analysis was conducted. A multilevel logistic regression was adjusted for the risk analyses.
RESULTS:
Characteristic dietary patterns in the whole population, and in women and men independently, were identified. In the whole population South Cone and Sweet Beverages patterns behaved as promoters for CRC and UC while the Prudent Pattern had a protective effect. Female South Cone, Rural and Starchy patterns were associated to a higher BC risk. Prudent Pattern lowered BC risk. In men, South Cone, Sweet Beverages and Typical Measured patterns promoted PC.
CONCLUSION:
It is necessary to promote a regular intake of vegetables, fruits and diary products (although a moderate intake for men), and to reduce red meat (especially fat meat), processed meat, starchy vegetables, wine and sweet beverages intakes, to prevent the occurrence of cancer. In men, it is recommended a moderate intake of egg. In women, it is advised a moderate intake of refined grains, bakery products, oils and mayonnaise intake.

Mtngrl 12-11-2014 01:36 PM

I'm Stage IV, and was at diagnosis, so the issue of "preventing a recurrence" never presented itself. My risk of having Stage IV breast cancer is 100%.

When I was first diagnosed I limited myself to no more than 5 oz. of red wine a day, with meals. Then I decided I'd like to have more than that. I've had periods of complete abstinence from alcohol, and other times when I have as much as I want. There doesn't seem to be a correlation with treatment response. Or maybe I'm just kidding myself.

If my oncologist told me to stop or cut down I would. But she's never even asked about alcohol consumption. I get blood tests every three weeks, and we'd see if there were negative health effects, at least the measurable ones.

In his book, Anti-Cancer, A New Way of Life, the author, David Servan-Schreiber (who was French) said he thought the studies implicating alcohol in cancer might not control for other lifestyle factors, including poor diet. He said he thought moderate alcohol use had a synergistic effect with a "Mediterranean" diet: lots of olive oil, fish, nuts, fruits, vegetables. No sugar. Limited meat and dairy. No refined flour. You know the drill.

caya 12-11-2014 02:07 PM

I'm 8 years out now, was never a "big" drinker. I will have an occasional glass of wine (usually red) - this might amount to one glass/week, if that.

I never liked hard liquor, and will have a beer maybe once or twice/year on a hot summer's day.

all the best
caya

LoisLane 12-11-2014 03:34 PM

I usually have one or two glasses of white wine on weekends. I was recently in West Palm Beach for a vacation and had a glass of wine every night. At first I thought I really shouldn't have one every night but you know what I was on vacation and I want to enjoy myself. I dont want to always be thinking cant eat this, cant drink that. We have all gone through such a journey I am doing what makes me happy

Becky 12-11-2014 04:16 PM

I have gone through periods of having a drink or two everyday and more on weekends to nothing for weeks. I do what I want to do. I think having 3-4 drinks everyday isnt good for anybody but going to a holiday party and having a handful is fine. I figure I went thru all that treatment to live so I try to do the wise thing most of the time but not all of the time.

karina14 12-11-2014 05:12 PM

I think everyone can have a drink or two without making much fuss if they should be having it or not. If that will make you happy that day, it will be better for your cancer, because your cells will be happier and then stronger to kill the bad ones. I am stage IV with brain mets re-ocurrence and I did not stop having one drink once in a while. It is what makes sense to you. Happy makes sense to you. Enjoy it.

JillaryJill 12-12-2014 08:53 AM

Love my Miller 64 in the summer. Only 2.8 percent alcohol. I drink out of a ceramic German mug.

KaiM 12-12-2014 08:42 PM

I'm in the same boat as Amy, stage 4 from the get go, not worried about reaccurance. I have never been a big drinker, but I do enjoy a drink here and there. I stopped completely when I was first diagnosed, but that was because it just didn't mix with chemo. Now that I am on a much easier drug combo, I drink when I feel like it and I don't believe it has any effect on my prognosis.

JessicaV 12-13-2014 03:07 AM

I was diagnosed in January, so still on Herceptin till Feb. I asked my oncologist what are the factors that I can affect that increase or decrease my chances of being in the 92% with my sort of cancer fineprint who don't get a relapse.
She said there are 4 of them:
Get my BMI to the "ideal" level and keep it there.
Exercise for at least150 minutes a week.
Keep my fat intake low.
Keep my alcohol intake low.
I have a glass of wine, but only one, when I feel like it, which might be one to four a month. (But my Christmas cake is half brandy-soaked sultanas and deliciously alcoholic). I try to keep dairy fats and meat fats reasonably low. I walk daily, or most days. I do a 4-day 600-calorie-a-day healthy-foods diet once a 3wk cycle unless I have been sick, and that has helped me lose 10kg in 5months without having to starve myself, and still being able to eat fun pleasurable food. Food is meant to be enjoyable, and doing it this way works for me without feeling deprived. I think you need to "budget" these things ie spend them wisely to get the max out of them. And take the judgement and guilt and heavy stuff out of the whole picture, so it is about looking after yourself well and having a good life while you have a life to live.
Best wishes, it ain't easy, is it?