HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Liver resection: Here I go (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49348)

michka 03-27-2011 11:03 AM

Liver resection: Here I go

Tomorrow I am going to the hospital and will have liver resection with maybe RFA if needed on Tuesday. It was difficult to determine what to do and I was starting to be discouraged. During all these months I was taking herceptin, tykerb and tamoxifen that seemed to stabilize and slightly shrink the mets. One of the met is very close to the lung and may be a problem for RFA and/or Cyberknife to give it a full blast. But they can take it out by surgery. I am very afraid but happy they accepted to take care of me. I thank you all for your support all these weeks and especially Joan who found the right contacts for me in Institut Gustave Roussy.
I hope the operation will be a success. After, I think I will go back to targeted therapy and try to keep chemo for when I will have no other choice. I hesitated because Lani informed us that surgery depresses our immune system But I figured chemo also.
I am sending hugs to all of you. I hope to find good news when I come back from all our sisters who are going through difficult periods. There are still too many. Michka

Lani 03-27-2011 12:16 PM

Re: Liver resection: Here I go

Michka it is not particularly the immune system challenge (it can revv things up also depending ) I think you are referring to when I discussed surgeries (big vs small) but rather that a big surgery may release more angiogenic factors/start more inflammation in attempt to heal the "insult to the body" I think this remains in the theoretical realm with respect to liver surgery vs RFA vs spheres etc as her2+ bc is rare that there are not large numbers of series where the mets were treated differently ie, with different modalities and compared.

Liver mets have done quite well according to the literature utilizing a number of different modalities to attack them (rather than the systemic approach) and I have posted several articles/abstracts on the different approaches.

Sounds like you have a thoughtful team on hand and a great attitude.

All the best!

Sheila 03-27-2011 12:54 PM

Michka
You will be in my thoughts and prayers for successful surgery and rapid healing....you have fought hard to get this resolved....stay strong and brighter days are ahead...sending you positve vibes and a big hug across the miles.

ammebarb 03-27-2011 01:21 PM

Michka, sending my best wishes for a completely successful surgery and a good recovery. I shall be thinking of you in the next days and look forward to hearing how you are doing, when you feel well enough to post.

Barb A.

tricia keegan 03-27-2011 01:52 PM

Sending my good wishes too Michka and hoping for a successful surgery and quick recovery and please keep us posted when you can:)

Lori R 03-27-2011 03:23 PM

Michka,
You are a stealth Liver Resection artist. How did you sneak in there before I could have mine??? We will certainly have stories to swap along with MissyW.

Missy has had good luck and so her case is certainly inspiring.

If it makes you feel any better...I tried the less invasive procedures and while I do believe they bought me 2+ years, it ultimately failed. So difficult for all of us to determine the best step. You are not alone with those mental gymnastics.

Chin up.....we will get through this and soon there will be 3 of us on the site that can tell everyone that we are NED due to our resections.

I head in on Wednesday 3/30 so anticipate being away from the computer for a bit. But...post when you feel up to it. I'll be anxious to hear how you are doing.

All the best.....Lori

Mary L 03-27-2011 04:27 PM

Michka, I just wanted to tell you that I am praying for you and I wish you the very best. I hope you will be back here sending us happy messages about how well you are doing. Mary L

Chelee 03-27-2011 04:46 PM

michka,
I just wanted to send many good wishes your way for a very successful surgery! I will be keeping positive thoughts for you. Good luck tomorrow, and try to relax and let your medical team take care of you. When you feel up to it give us an update. Can't wait till you have this all behind you.

Hugs!

Chelee

caya 03-27-2011 06:33 PM

Michka,

Bonne chance demain.
Big hugs and prayers floating across the ocean from Canada.

all the best
caya

Paty 03-27-2011 09:12 PM

Michka,

Sending you many hugs too and best wishes.

Paty

jml 03-27-2011 09:14 PM

Best wishes and lots of prayers coming your way.
My liver was NED for 4 yrs after my liver resection, so I wish you that and many many many more years.
Rest well and heal quickly.

Keep us posted when you're able~

Jessica

Trish 03-27-2011 11:38 PM

Very best wishes for successful surgery Michka and look forward to when you are well enough to let us know how it has gone.
Best wishes to you, Lori R too, may both surgeries be resounding successes.
Trish

krisvell 03-28-2011 05:45 AM

Dear, sweet Michka;
I wish you huge success on your re-section surgery. I'm sending my prayers, support and love your way.

Please know, I care and am thinking about you.

Love & Hugs,

Kris...

Hopeful 03-28-2011 06:25 AM

Michka,

Best of luck to you with your treatment. You will be in my thoughts.

Hopeful

Missyw 03-28-2011 07:22 AM

Hi Michka,

As Lori told you I have gotten two years of NED from my resection in 2009. It is a difficult procedure, but I would do it again in a minute if I thought I could get two more years. I pray you have a successful result and a quick recovery. If I can help in any way, just let me know.

Hugs and prayers,
Missy

Jackie07 03-28-2011 10:06 AM

Sending prayers from Central Texas...

Ellie F 03-28-2011 10:23 AM

Sending prayers and best wishes for a successful outcome to your surgery.
Ellie

KDR 03-28-2011 02:46 PM

Mischka,
Warmest wishes to a lovely lady. I will be thinking of you.
Karen

Joan M 03-30-2011 11:42 AM

Michka,

Many, many hugs over the miles to you. You're brave, and I admire your checking into all the options. Go for it!

I'm praying for a successful treatment.

Joan

schoolteacher 03-30-2011 01:52 PM

Michka,

Hope you are doing well. Hope to hear from you soon.

Amelia