HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   "De-ported" (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41052)

freyja 09-11-2009 07:41 PM

"De-ported"

Just celebrating! I had my port removed today. Not too bad, getting a bit sore. Hopefully it's all over and I'll never need one again...I believe it!

sassy 09-11-2009 07:43 PM

Re: "De-ported"

Hey Freyja!

Glad you have been de-ported but still here in residence with us!

Laurel 09-11-2009 07:48 PM

It's a wonderful feeling to be closing a door on the whole cancer thing, isn't it? I had mine removed 4 weeks ago today. My P.C. moved fat to fill in the cavity left by the port. It is still healing and getting itchy. Did you save your port to show everyone? I did! My kids thought it was pretty cool.

nitewind 09-12-2009 07:14 AM

Yay! Isn't it a great feeling to be "portless". When I had mine removed, I didn't even have any soreness afterwards, just glad to be rid of it (although, I was certainly glad that I had a port when I needed it).
Congrats
Hugs

Leslie304 09-12-2009 01:18 PM

Hi Freyja,
Did you have your mastectomies done at the same time? My surgeon won't do it! I asked her to but she said it was inviting trouble and we should just concentrate on the affected breast. Have you ever heard of that?
Leslie

tricia keegan 09-12-2009 03:50 PM

I was sore for a few days too but did'nt mind as I was delighted to have it out as I'm sure you are..
Congratulations:)

Cal-Gal 09-12-2009 05:10 PM

Fabulous news Freyja!!!

I am afraid I am about to have one put in soon---have been putting it off as long as we can----

Enjoy the weekend!!!

Cannon 09-13-2009 06:10 AM

I am also newly portless! hopefully forever. But the port was a good friend and did its job!

I had an "urgent" call from my onc's office the next day - I was going to be really pissed if I had to have it back in. False alarm, only low potassium.

DanaRT 09-13-2009 06:44 AM

Yeah! I've been portless since February. Congratulations. Now on to near normal healthy living.

Love,
dana

freyja 09-13-2009 11:07 AM

I didn't keep the port, but I did get to see it for the first time. I didn't have it out the same time as my mastectomy. At that point I still had Herceptin to do so we kept it. I'm also glad I had it, but good riddance.

Mary Anne in TX 09-13-2009 11:27 AM

Will check again in November to see if mine can come out! Wish someone could just knock me in the head and when I woke up it would be gone! ma

schoolteacher 09-14-2009 04:50 AM

That is wonderful. Hope school is going well.

Amelia

Colleens_Husband 09-14-2009 07:49 AM

Yeah Freyja!!!

This means it's almost all in the rear-view mirror. I wish you and your family happy, healthy cancer-free lives. Now go out there and live like you think you ought to.

Lee

Terri B 09-14-2009 11:58 AM

Freyja, how did they do it? Did they numb you and yank it out? or did you have to be knocked out? curious. I'll probably have mine out soon too!

freyja 09-14-2009 12:19 PM

Thank you all so much for sharing in the celebration. I wish the same for you and Colleen, Lee. Sometimes things in the rear view mirror are larger than they appear. This thing looks a lot better now than it did a few miles back.

My surgeon did it, but in his office, not surgery. It was really fast and easy. He numbed it up, and slid it out. It doesn't hurt except for the needle poke. Now it's just a little sore and I'll wear a waterproof bandage for a week.