HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Memorial Forum? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56163)

Debbie L. 10-01-2012 07:52 AM

Memorial Forum?

I know we've discussed this before, but it seems an appropriate time to throw it out there again. Although I personally only really ever come to this main forum, there are lots of others forums within HER2support that are specific to different aspects of dealing with breast cancer.

I would like it if we had a memorial forum, or a remembrance forum, or whatever we'd like to call it (but not a "has become an angel" please). Where the title (new thread title) would be the person's name, and all the lovely tributes and poems and prose would be safely held there. Brenda's, for example, are already quite scattered under different threads and will soon be lost to all but the most persistent searcher. If some of us had time, we could cull some of the person's representative posts and add them in "their" forum, so that it was not just what those of us left had to say, but had that definite flavor of our lost one.

I know an argument against this, in the past, has been that it was Joe's preference that we not do this, for fear of scaring people. But I don't see how keeping the same posts that are already happening, but just in a separate forum, would be any more scary. In fact, it could be less scary because if people did not want to read of the losses, they could simply not go to that forum.

Don't you find yourself some days, for no reason, with strong thoughts of a certain person rambling around in your head and heart? Wouldn't you like, on those days, to easily re-visit "their" thread, and re-connect for a few minutes? I would.

Much love,
Debbie Laxague

Nancy L 10-01-2012 11:01 AM

Re: Memorial Forum?

Very nicely put. I too have wondered why there wasn't something like you suggest. I like the idea very much.

BonnieR 10-01-2012 11:21 AM

I agree. And I like the idea of including some of the person's posts and their photo. Sweet idea.

tricia keegan 10-01-2012 12:33 PM

I agree ladies but Christine is very much against the idea of this, or at least was the last time it was discussed here.

chrisy 10-01-2012 12:48 PM

Well put.
as for the scattered threads, we can merge ties that wre the "tribute" threads which might be worth doing.

KDR 10-01-2012 04:43 PM

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showgroups.php

Right now, there is a place for the names of the deceased. I brought this up earlier under a thread entitled "Honoring Our Lost." The place the names have been put is not easy to find. I also love the idea of celebrating the life of someone, I don't equate death with stopping and feel it is appropriate in all ways to include lost warriors. Of course, this is not my site, but I certainly wouldn't want to be forgotten should I lose my battle. I already miss Brenda's top hat photo.

Karen

Lien 10-02-2012 11:48 AM

I would like to visit such a forum from time to time. What I like most, is Debbie's idea to include posts from the person who passed away.

StephN 10-02-2012 12:17 PM

Joe tried to have a way for us to access the deceased members' posts, by keeping their name activated as a link, just as it is for the active members.

The name is clickable and takes you to a place where there is a choice to view either All Posts or All Threads started by that person.

What bothers me about the Deceased Members list is that there are also live links to private messaging and email, which is most likely inactivated. Those could be removed in MHO.

Laurel 10-02-2012 04:58 PM

While I can appreciate Joe's thinking on this matter, the truth is we are all scared. Death is a part of life no matter how much we wish it not so. It is how the universe unfolds and to pretend none of us will die of our cancer, or by other causes is silly. I do not want to lose some of the most wonderful people who once populated this site to the haze of chemo-brain. To go and read many of the lovely tributes about our fallen heroes is a privilege I'd like to be able to avail myself of. I say "YES."

sarah 10-03-2012 03:32 AM

I too would like such a link. I think often of some of those "angels" and would like to spend some time reading and remembering them.
thanks Karen for posting that address.
health and happiness
sarah

Mary Anne in TX 10-03-2012 04:40 AM

Being an ol' history teacher, I believe we live and learn fully when we embrace the past and then live in today. It would be like mini biographies of those we love so dearly and can still learn and grow from. Tells the "whole story" of who we are and can become. Maybe we're ready now.

rhondalea 10-03-2012 06:51 AM

In keeping with my current forced mode of "laconic," Laurel has written what I would have written were I able. (Thank you, Laurel.)

Unfortunately, I don't see how such an addition can be made without Christine's blessing. Her site and her decision.

Pray 10-03-2012 08:19 AM

I agree w/Rhonda, It sounds like a great Idea. This is Joe a Christine's site for all of us and it did come with a few conditions and this being one of them. (Memorial thread) We all know this. It just doesn't seem right for us to over ride their wishes. Just my opinion. I certainly don't want to offend anyone here ever.

KDR 10-03-2012 10:00 AM

Why don't we ask Christine? It's like we can be here and cared for while we are sick, winning the fight and alive, but once we're gone, we have to be hidden. Laurel said it, amidst life there is death. We all will, one day, follow our ancestors, whether by HER2 or other.
Karen

dchips1 10-03-2012 08:24 PM

the list on the forum now, is not even complete, I am kinda in the in between, of a tribute vs a memorial. We could also approach with some of the links to some of their infamous posts, or just add to the list already on the forum.

Marj 10-03-2012 08:37 PM

Being mostly a lurker on this forum over the years, I agree.

I also would like to ask those who have memorable quotes from Brenda's years on this forum to please share them with me. Her celebration of life is this Saturday and we would like to share some of her witty and inspiring comments from this forum since it was a part of her life that mattered.

Marj

Lori R 10-04-2012 05:43 AM

Great idea to check with Christine.

If I recall, Joe was concerned that if the memorial included treatment history there would be a chance that a new comer would review and try to relate to a personal prognosis. (I could see myself doing that)

I like the idea of a personal description of who we were. I think of Lolly, Woman of Steel, touseled frequently and would love to go out and issue a current post to let them know that they are remembered, and loved and I still rely on the support they provided me 5 years ago.

Becky 10-04-2012 08:15 AM

I always supported the idea of a Memorial Forum/Tribute forum. I may circulate this idea formally as I am on the Board of Directors for this organization.

This does not mean I will be successful in any way but I will give it a shot. However, I might put up a poll first. Just because those who wrote or responded positively to this post, it does not mean this is a concensus. So later today I will put up a "sticky" poll and try to get as many responses as possible and present to others on the Board and we will go from there. Fair?

Soccermom 10-04-2012 09:22 AM

Becky, great idea!
Marcia

tricia keegan 10-04-2012 03:41 PM

I agree, great idea Becky!