HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   vit-D puzzle? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66976)

VDC 03-23-2018 10:45 PM

vit-D puzzle?

What are the current thoughts on Vit-D? I just requested a plethera of labs and some have already been processed (just had blood drawn today) What surprises me is my vit-D is low again at 19.3 ng/mL AND I have been taking 5000 IU's of vit-D every day for almost two years! last year my vit-D on this same supplementation was 67 ng/mL and now with no changes in consumption, it has dropped to 19.3 I am very very puzzled. Does anyone have any idea what could cause such a dramatic drop in vit D even while on significant supplementation? Are there any things that I might be doing that can cause vit-D to be reduced? Very very puzzled......

donocco 03-24-2018 09:16 AM

Re: vit-D puzzle?

That is a real puzzle. Maybe there a problem with absorption has occurred. No idea why. Ill research this and see what I find. Perhaps your doctor can prescribe the 50,000 unit Vitamin D gelcap once or twice a week. This might increase the levels significantly. Get the test rechecked. Lab errors do occur. Once, taking a physical for a pharmacist agency I was working for I was diagnosed as Hepatitis B positive. The test was done again and this proved to be untrue.

Paul

donocco 03-24-2018 09:41 AM

I found something intersting. Low calcium intake is one cause of low levels. If the calcium levels fall the body secretes parathyroid hormone and this hormone changes 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D (what is measured) to the more active Vitamin D form calcitriol. The body makes calcitriol from the 25 hydroxy form so the measured Vitamin D levels drop. Maybe you can increase your calcium intake. Also take the Vitamin D with some fatty food ie in the evening before dinner. Too high a blood calcium also drops the 25 Hydroxy Vitamin D levels due to the thyroid release of a hormone called Calcitonin, so it works both ways.

VDC 03-24-2018 11:36 AM

Great idea! ...but my calcium has stayed steady at about 9.5 or so. No changes there! I'm wondering if the brand of vit d I am taking isn't well absorbed. I did change brands about 6-9 months ago. But if it isn't that, then I am completely stumped!

SoCalGal 03-24-2018 03:31 PM

As I understand it, VIT D is a fat absorbed vitamin, important to take with largest meal. I use Douglas laboratories brand, LIQUID D and K, LIQUID Vitamin D-3 along with Vitamin K2. Right now, I'm not taking any vitamins or supplements but I've taken them pretty regularly over the past decade.

Becky 03-24-2018 08:29 PM

Did you change brands? Just wondering as my daughter was taking a multi and got blood work that said her potassium was off the charts. They reran and still off the charts. So they said to stop the multi for a week and re did. All was normal. So a brand change could be the culprit. We trust our supplements and vitamins bit who knows.