HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Sudden Deafness before last treatment of herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63194)

Cipher 05-20-2015 06:32 PM

Sudden Deafness before last treatment of herceptin

Right before my mom starting the last treatment of herceptin(1 year), on this 6th May, she suffered a sudden deafness on her left ear. Before this happened, she had a fever, not sure if they are relevant.

Traditional treatment doesn't help in the past 10 days, she is kinda losing heart.

I searched the forum but didn't find anyone has the same symptom, I post here asking help from you who may know how she can be recovered from deaf.

Thanks in advance.

-------------------------------------------------
2010-6 BC on one side, first Chemo
2014-3 Found tumor on the other side, second Chemo
2014-4 Start using Herceptin

thinkpositive 05-21-2015 09:24 AM

Re: Sudden Deafness before last treatment of herceptin

I've never heard of this happening as a result of treatment. I would contact your mom's onc right away. They may want to do a brain MRI to rule out any chance of brain mets. Your mom could also have some sort of infection that is causing the problem in her ear. Herceptin does cause fevers so it is hard to know if the fever was caused by herceptin or an infection in her ear.

Take Care,
Brenda

Becky 05-21-2015 03:42 PM

Another thought is when your mom got chemo, did she get TCH? The C part, carboplatin is a platinium containing chemo and this famiy of drugs can cause deafness in some people - or hearing loss.

Kmquilts2 05-28-2015 10:30 AM

During my chemo treatments I experienced a decrease of hearing in my right ear. I was referred to an ENT by my oncologist and was prescribed an nasal spray "Fluticasone". It helped a little but since my treatment is now over, the hearing is coming back - slowly. I am hoping that as soon as all of the follow-up Herceptin infusions are completed that the echoing that remains will totally disappear.

LizzElliot 06-10-2015 05:43 PM

I have had hearing loss, perhaps, but not anything compared to full hearing loss.
I thought it was my husband mumbling and have complained/nagged him constantly, but when I mentioned I almost wondered if it was chemo, his reply was a resounding "yes".
Since then, talked to my oncologists RN and she says that carboplatin is reported to possibly have an effect of hearing loss in some patients. She said they'd never had a patient experience it. So, it seems I may be their first.
I hope your mom gets the answers and any therapy that might help her regain some hearing.