HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Update (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58915)

ammebarb 08-29-2013 02:53 PM

Update

Had my every four month visit to Philadelphia this week, and glad to say that my appointments went well. The Avastin burned and hurt like the blazes for a while, but was much, much better by this morning. Tumor is still shrinking and retina is healthy, no macular swelling and vision is holding at about 20/40. Dr. Sato thinks that I'm tolerating Sutent pretty well. but thinks I should plan to stop at 6 months' worth. I had hoped to take it for a year. He is the expert, so needless to say, I will do as he recommends. I am tired, and it is good to be home.

'lizbeth 08-29-2013 04:29 PM

Re: Update

I love hearing that the tumor is shrinking - that great! Healthy retina, no macular swelling and I would love to have your vision. Is that uncorrected?

Do they put the Avastin in the eye? Don't laugh if that is a dumb question, just curious.

Glad you are home.

ammebarb 08-29-2013 05:04 PM

Hi Elizabeth. The vision is corrected. The avastin is shot into the eye. Not especially pleasant, but supposed to help preserve vision. And I didn't laugh at your question....I certainly knew nothing about ocular melanoma, until it affected me. Thanks for responding. My best to you!

Laurel 08-29-2013 07:13 PM

Barb,

Great news! Wondering why Sato only recommends 6 months?

Laurel

NEDenise 08-29-2013 08:04 PM

Yay for good news!

And, yay for how brave you are!

You go girl!
Denise

KDR 08-29-2013 08:31 PM

Great news...love to hear this

Karen

suzan w 08-29-2013 08:43 PM

Well done brave Her2 warrior sister!!

ammebarb 08-30-2013 03:11 PM

Laurel, I believe that Dr. Sato is considering what my side effects have been and has said that toxicity will increase. He thinks I will be glad to be finish in Dec. or Jan. He also said that I could take it until I'm really run down, but he'd rather I didn't, in case mets turn up....He'd prefer I'm healthier for a "fight". Also doesn't know If another six months confers any additional benefit. It's probably a psychological thing with me....it feels like a safety net, when it probably isn't. One guy on the OM group developed mets while on it.

Paty 08-30-2013 06:10 PM

So glad for you Barb!! Hugs.

Laurel 08-30-2013 06:45 PM

Barb,

Did you see my email? We will have to get together later in the month. My brother is going up to Sully this weekend (damn! Have to share!). I have a crazy September, but will try my best to get up there for a good belly laugh with you. Love you loads!

L

KsGal 09-03-2013 06:29 PM

Woot! Im just glad to hear you have had so much improvement. A shot to the eye definitely does not sound like my cup of tea. I used to have nightmares about stuff like that when I was a child, so I am beyond amazed at how brave and strong you are. Big hugs and continued prayers for your full recovery.

ammebarb 09-05-2013 11:56 AM

Thank you, dear HER2 sisters for all your kind support. I am always wishing you all well and keeping you in my prayers.

Laurel, hope to see you sometime this Fall!

Barb A.