HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Another Year On (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64094)

Bunty 11-11-2015 01:20 AM

Another Year On

I haven't been very active on the site this past year, but pop in now and again to keep up with the celebrations, the disappointments, the discoveries, the friendships, and sadly, sometimes the losses.

Around this time of year is my 'anniversary', so very soon it will be 15 years since I was first diagnosed, and just over eight years since becoming Stage IV. Since my liver resection in May 2014, I've had a good run, but have had just a bit of a set back with one of the original metastatic lung mets becoming active. I've been scanned thoroughly, and this one tumour is the only one to be found in my body, so that was good news. So today I had my first of six SBRT treatments on this solitary tumour. For those who are not aware of SBRT, it's a targeted 4-D radiation delivered directly to the tumour - Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy. I want to keep TDM-1 or any other systemic treatments up my sleeve for as long as I can, so opted for this treatment regime.

I had a biopsy taken of the lung (before it gets blasted!!), and it showed the pathology was the same as the liver met removed last year. Interestingly, my original tumour was ER-, but both the liver and lung tumour were ER+, and very strongly ER+. I continue with Herceptin, and started on Femara after the liver resection last year, but with the discovery I had severe osteoporosis, I had to switch to Tamoxifen. So it seems the Tamoxifen may not be working. I've had another bone density test and hopefully if there is stability compared to the last result, we might try Femara again. I had the annual Aclasta infusion last year, and will be having that again soon.

I'm still very well, still working, travelled to Europe this year, and feel very blessed. I write this to maybe give hope to others who are starting out and feeling overwhelmed. This site has been incredibly important to me - you are all incredible and inspiring.

That's my news!

Cheers Marie

Carol Ann 11-11-2015 08:20 AM

Re: Another Year On

So good to hear from you, Marie! So glad you are doing well!

Carol Ann

tricia keegan 11-11-2015 03:37 PM

So glad you're doing well Marie and look me up if you get to Ireland on your travels!

Donna H 11-11-2015 03:40 PM

Hi Marie -
What is Aclasta? I was recently told I have osteoporosis. My endocrinologist wanted me to get Prolia shots but I was afraid of the side effects (I've had enough of crappy side effects,thank you very much). Have you experienced any side effects from Aclasta?

Pamelamary 11-11-2015 10:48 PM

Hi Marie,
Good to hear from you! I am sorry to hear about the lung met and hope the SBRT zaps it completely. In so many respects your story has been an inspiration to me - I hope to follow in your footsteps in regard to Stage IV wellbeing.
Best wishes.... Pam

suzan w 11-12-2015 04:14 AM

Wow...Thanks for popping in and sharing your terrific news. Inspiring is an understatement!

Bunty 11-12-2015 04:28 AM

Hi again

Donna, Aclasta is a bisphosphonate, and I believe it's similar to Prolia. I had no side effects from Aclasta at all. From my experience, you only ever hear from the very small vocal minority re bad side effects, and nothing from the majority who have no side effects on any drug!

Tricia, I was in Ireland actually, and it was the main reason for the trip was to attend a wedding in Castle Leslie, Monaghan. I was in Dublin for about 5 days. I have been to Ireland about 12 times, and in fact lived there for a year back in 1990. My parents both were Irish, and I have a huge number of relatives and friends all over the country. Where are you? I then went to Greece and some of the islands with a bunch of Irish friends - great time!

Cheers Marie

michka 11-13-2015 03:09 AM

Hi Marie. 15 years since Dx and 8 years Stage 4 is encouraging but just the beginning for you! You are taking care of the recalcitrant tumor and after you will be Ned...
I hope the SBRT treatments are not difficult and that TDM1 will always stay in your sleeve. :=)
Keep us updated.

tricia keegan 11-13-2015 12:35 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip Marie and Castle Leslie is gorgous, my youngest daughters partner comes from Co Monaghan too. I lived in Dublin for years but we moved to Bettystown Co Meath eleven years ago, it's a small little seaside village and very quiet so we love it here. I hope you get to visit again some day.:)