HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Oxygen Levels (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67328)

KatherineM 08-17-2018 01:17 PM

Oxygen Levels

If it's not one thing, it's another. My oxygen levels were around 88, after I exerted myself by walking down the hall, on Wednesday. They tested me again on Thursday, same thing. So, now I have home oxygen, which it's unclear to me when to use. It certainly helps with the cough. I'm consistently at 95-98 with it on. When I take readings without, I've been getting 83-88. My onc is out of town, but the triage guy wants me to use it when I'm out and about. My pulse is also high, around 110.

What am I risking by letting my oxygen get low? It seems like there is risk of organ damage? Are there risks to getting too much oxygen?

It really depresses me to have to wear the tube and take the canister with me everywhere. I mean, it's not a very fashion forward look. "Here is our model, Katherine, wearing a lovely green dress, to match her tank of oxygen, with a nude cannula creating an illusory mustache effect. Isn't she special?"

Sorry, I must not be getting enough oxygen to my head. I am joking, of course, because what else can I do?

tricia keegan 08-17-2018 03:14 PM

Re: Oxygen Levels

Katherine I'm sorry I don't have advice but my heart goes out to you and just wanted to send good wishes and I'm sure someone else will help more.

Carol Ann 08-17-2018 05:29 PM

I am so sorry, like Tricia said I don't have any advice either but wanted to let you know I am here to listen.

This sucks so much.

Carol Ann

Pamelamary 08-18-2018 12:30 AM

Katherine,
I guess you have to go with what you have been told by the medicos. You can at least check when your oncologist is around. I can really feel for your reluctance to have oxygen as a fashion statement - you made me smile, but it's sometimes the little things which can get us down. Hope the Keytruda works well for you.
Best wishes.... Pam

Laurel 08-20-2018 12:54 PM

Katherine,

Apparently Keytruda can cause an allergic lung inflammation and low RBCs, both of which would cause poor blood oxygenation. It appears the above are both relatively rare, but are listed side effects. My suggestion would be to speak with a covering doc asking for blood work to see how your RBCs are holding up. Apparently your body would be attacking those and destroying them if they are found to be dropping. Interesting response. It may be that this is an allergic immuno response in both cases and can be treated with steroids perhaps, or another method to tamp down the immune system's activity. As I said earlier, perhaps this is an initial reaction which will abate with time, but I would certainly press them a bit for an explanation and treatment of the symptoms if warranted beyond the oxygen administration.

Sorry, I do not have more information. I have to run, but urge you to pop onto PubMed and search there. They may have some more info.

donocco 08-20-2018 05:24 PM

I think I read somwhere that you can use Keytruda with low dose steroids together without
diminishing the effect of Kaytruda. Not sure. Its hard to remember everything. I thought it said if the immune pneumonitis was grade 3-4 the Katruda has to be discontinued but not if it is Grade 1-2. Im printing an article now that might shed some light on the situation.

Paul

donocco 08-20-2018 11:11 PM

The use of the steroids with PD1 inhibitors is contraversial. No definite answer yer

Laurel 08-22-2018 06:28 PM

Hey there, Katherine! Just checking in to see how you are coping. I am hoping and praying you are feeling better. Please post an update when you are able.

KatherineM 08-23-2018 09:24 AM

Hey, there. So, I met with my oncologist today. She wants to put me on Adriamycin, which means Goodbye, Keytruda, I hardly knew ye. Adriamycin is a chemo that the cancer has never seen before, with a good track record of working quickly. Keytruda/immunotherapy is a luxury I can't afford at this point; not enough data on breast cancer, and not fast-working enough for the way the lung mets are progressing. In two weeks, the lesions (about 16-20) have grown bigger. The doctor thinks that, because we ruled out pulmonary embolism and pneumonitis, it's just the progression of the mets that is causing my oxygen levels to fall so low. I am on 24/7 oxygen, about to get an InogenOne G3 oxygen concentrator. The tanks and heavy grey concentrator I have now are like WWII missiles -- so cumbersome and not portable! I haven't gone out since I got them, except to go to the hospital. Drepressing!

Start on Tuesday morning. Cross your fingers for me!

Carol Ann 08-23-2018 09:43 AM

Fingers crossed!!

Carol Ann

Laurel 08-23-2018 03:34 PM

Katharine,
I will cross fingers and toes! Good luck with Adriamycin. I found it more tolerable than Taxol! Hope you will, too!

Lucy 08-24-2018 06:56 AM

Fingers crossed that all goes well. Like Laurel, adriamycin was more tolerable for me than taxol. Good luck and keep us posted.

Donna H 08-27-2018 11:02 AM

Fingers crossed for positive results.