HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Neuropathy - Long term? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63737)

Pat94 09-10-2015 04:46 AM

Neuropathy - Long term?

Earlier onc said neuropathy improves for about a year and then you have what's left long term. Just met new onc yesterday for quarterly checkup (NED - Yeah - would have really hated to go through all this and not been clear for at least 3 months). He said neuropathy slowly improves for years as the nerves slowly recover. For you long-time survivors who had neuropathy from treatment, which is correct?

Lucy 12-21-2015 07:27 PM

Re: Neuropathy - Long term?

Hi Pat, I just found this thread.

I'm not necessarily a long term survivor yet (finished herceptin in May of this year) but I am finding that the neuropathy is getting better . . . slowly. It was so bad for a while that wearing shoes was extremely painful and made it more difficult for me to walk. I did it when I had to but it was painfully (no pun intended) obvious that something was wrong with me when I had to move in them.

I still prefer my flipflops but now I can wear normal shoes with little to no discomfort for long periods of time. The more I wear normal shoes though, the easier it seems to get.

Are you seeing any improvement at all?

Pat94 12-21-2015 08:28 PM

My fingers are better - much less clumsy. My feet don't seem to be much different but they weren't as bad as yours. I really notice it when I first try to fall asleep at night. I just have to get used to how they feel. While in socks and shoes during the day I don't notice much at all. Good luck to us all.

suzan w 12-21-2015 09:29 PM

I can't speak to neuropathy, however, even after 10 years, I am still getting back feeling, slowly and randomly, in my numb chest!!! The nerves will always try to reconnect...as told to me by my surgeon 10 amazing years ago!!

tricia keegan 12-22-2015 03:39 PM

After ten years I still find it difficult to put my earrings in and close buttons, but fine with everything else.

Lucy 12-22-2015 05:47 PM

I never really had a clumsiness with my hands / fingers that I recall, HOWEVER, I still have a strong sensitivity to cold in my fingers. I have issues handling things that have been in the refrigerator. I can be out in the cold all day long and it's fine but touching / holding something that is cold poses a challenge for me.

twosenuf99 01-10-2016 10:05 PM

Hi I am almost 5 years NED. Still have severe neuropathy in both my hands. I have just learned to live with it. I also have lymphedema which adds to the neuropathy in the right hand. I was told by my onc it would never get better. Good luck to you.

Lisalou 01-11-2016 05:33 PM

I had mild neuropathy during treatment that rapidly resolved after completing chemo. Now I have new neuropathy that neurology wants to blame on the chemo and oncology says no way, I am too far out for it to be from chemo...as I continue to try and direct my care to find the cause of the headaches and lower extremity neuropathies and facial parathesias. MRIs of brain and spine clear