HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The big BUT (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34164)

harrie 05-31-2008 06:50 PM

The big BUT

Hawaii may be paradise to some BUT gas prices for reg are up to $4.13/gal now! This is for the Big Island. On Maui I beleive I read in areas it has hit $5 a gal.
In France it is $9.66/gal, Germany $11.49/gal, Britain $8.31/gal.
(taxes and subsidies differ from nation to nation are the main reason for the varied prices, along with limits in oil refining ccapacity and shipping costs)

Joe 05-31-2008 07:17 PM

I just returned from a business trip in Central California. We drove 1300 miles and paid a total of $450.00 for gas.

That's about 2.8 miles to the dollar.

Regards
Joe

Bill 05-31-2008 08:13 PM

Hi Harrie! I'm sorry that gas prices are so high in paradise. It must be really beat to ride a bicycle through paradise to get to the beach. It's common knowledge that you only have one road over there, and both ways go to the beach. It costs 5 dollars to go to the beach. Yeah, that must really suck. I'll think about you this winter while I'm chipping the ice off my face as I paddle through the local rapids. Seriously, though, the unexpected rise in fuel costs has impacted all of us and hit us hard in the wallet. Gas here is about $3.95 for reg. Love ya, Harriecanarie!

harrie 05-31-2008 08:31 PM

Ok Billeeeee,
I gotcha....I will stop RIGHT here and stop complaining about life here in paradise....wait a sec...gotta wipe off some of this sunscreen so i don't gunk up my keyboard....
anyways....its not cool paying so much for gas, but like you so humbly reminded me, it is only a hop skip and a jump to anywhere since we do live on an island and weather has been absolutely picture perfect! I don't mean to brag, but it is heaven on earth and I am not referring to any kind of high-styled living over here but more the ambiance of the Big Island...the sky, the ocean, the clouds, the winds...the wild pigs...the misquitos...well I guess we aren't PERFECT...
love you too!

Merridith 06-01-2008 09:33 AM

$9+ @ litre?

Glad I don't live in France.

Luckily I live in a downtown core. I've been trying to avoid using my car. My last fill up was $50!!!!!!!!!! And I have a cheap honda.

I've been walking everywhere........

harrie 06-02-2008 11:34 PM

RE: Joe's post above. Well just under 3 miles to a dollar is not very far and THAT is calculated with long distance driving!

No wonder you don't see all those big SUVs in Europe like you see so abundantly over here! All you see are those tiny compacts and those big Europeans seem to fit in them just fine!

Bill 06-03-2008 05:03 PM

Aw man, I like my SUV. All my gear fits in it, and when I romp down on the gas pedal (which I do alot just because I can) it really roars and takes off. My first car was a 1974 4-cylinder Vega, which got pretty good mileage for that day and age, but you had to really plan ahead if you wanted to pass anybody. I drove that little rascal for 8 years and 90,000 miles, so I served my time for the planet, now it's time for some payback. So if y'all ever catch a glimpse of gold rumbling past you on the highway, with Red Hot Chili Peppers or the Foo fighters pouring outta the sun roof, just think, "welp, there goes Wild Bill, 15 mpg but lovin' every minute of it!"

hutchibk 06-03-2008 05:46 PM

I will be seeing the Foo's in September, Bill. Gotta love the Foo's! I don't have anything against SUVs - but I'm glad I don't currently have one! And I am a lover of cute little cars (not for gas-saving reasons per-se but it's not a bad perk these days), like Mini-Coopers and Smart Cars. I just don't think I could drive one because I would be afraid of getting smushed by a semi...

Bill 06-03-2008 06:09 PM

Yeah, Hucklebuck, ya gotta love the Foo's. Maybe I'll sail down there and go with you guys. I like some of the little cars, too, but I'm so glad you weren't in one a few days ago.

harrie 06-03-2008 10:38 PM

My daughter is a 110% die-hard FF fanatic!! She has been to more of their concerts when what I can count and even has her pic taken with Dave! PLUS she is a REAL big lover of RHCP also and has been to many of their concerts!

hutchibk 06-03-2008 11:50 PM

We have a dear friend who plays in the FFs... I can't wait to see them. I have never seen them live.

Yup Bill, I too am glad we were in the Volvo the other day - and not a mini-coop or smart car that I think are soooo cute!

harrie 06-03-2008 11:57 PM

Hutchick, who is your friend that is in FFs?
My daughter goes CRAZY when she hears them play live.

My sister and her family had a Volvo yrs ago, and it was built like a tank. Was a good vehicle for you and your husband to be in!

hutchibk 06-04-2008 12:49 AM

Our friend plays keyboards on tour...

Bill 06-04-2008 03:37 PM

can't quit laughing....... "hutchick"

hutchibk 06-04-2008 03:44 PM

oh, you mean 'hotchick' - yeah, right, that's me... LOL. NOT.

harrie 06-04-2008 11:17 PM

LOL!!!! I cant stop laughing too!!! "hutchick"...LOL!!!! From now on my dear, you will be called Hotchick by me...great idea BBB!!

Man oh man...I sure have this typo problem with you hotchick! Isn't that funny!! well not really I guess...
But I am worried now that I have tons of typos all over this website and I just am not picking up on it!! What do you think??

harrie 06-04-2008 11:30 PM

PS>>>>>
for hotchick....

I'm sorry, but hutchibk is just WAY to complicated for my simple mind! Either that or I just gotta ssssllooooowwww down, try not to do sooooo many posts....take my time...and just maybe the words will fly out of my fingers a bit more accurately...
Sometimes I do that when I talk. My mind sometimes races ahead and then I start talking really fast ,...and then my brain and my speech sometimes just aren't in sync! Know what I mean?
kdkg+*$%&^I)*4nflhj;edfr!!!

harrie 06-04-2008 11:36 PM

Hotchick, I told my daughter about you being a close friend of Rami and this is what she responded to me....see below...(so have fun and enjoy the concert!!)

"yeah! i've seen him play with the foo a bunch of times. she'll like the show a lot. their current tour is one the best i've seen of theirs. he's a good addition to the band. "
(above quote from my daughter)

hutchibk 06-05-2008 12:40 AM

Well, I know I love Rami (have seen him play a zillion times with the Wallflowers) and I know I have always enjoyed the Foo's, and so it makes sense that it will be great.

Sheila 06-05-2008 06:09 AM

Whoa..................BIll, my husbands first car was a Vega...and my younger sister 's 1st car.....I didn't realize they made 3 of those! I always referred to it as the geek squad....OK, so he graduated from that, but I just said to him last night, aren't you glad with gas at 4.39 a gal that you don't still have the hummer h2...he actually said he loved that...all time favorite vehicle...I remeber seeing a picture when 1 got in a wreck with a littel car...maybe a vega and the caption was " It only Looks Tough." He traded that in for such an economical (Yeah Right) Tahoe Z71...which does take the flex fuel but there is no one who has it in a 50 mile area...then its cheaper but the gas mileage sucks...which is why I drive a VW Beetle...turbo for the quick getaways...but economical. I am just a product of the 70's and always a child at heart .

Harrie...I would give up my car to live in Hawaii...I think we should have our fall get together in Hawaii.