HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Port Overboard! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40835)

Cannon 08-22-2009 10:16 AM

Port Overboard!

I had my port removed Thursday - the third anniversary of my diagnosis was the week before, and I realized I was ready (kept dreaming about my surgeon).

Clear scans on Monday of this week -- NED.

Had a minor panic attack when my onc's office called me on Friday -- my onc is never in on Fridays.

Turns out my potassium is low (again, I've had trouble with that before - no reason, possibly the Crohn's).

And I called twice to get the rx called in to my pharmacy, but apparently, it was only urgent enough to tell me, not urgent enough to actually call the rx in. Got some OTC, taking more.

I start a new job on Monday - have been unemplyed since April. Excited and nervous.

Rebecca

Paty 08-22-2009 08:56 PM

Re: Port Overboard!

Dear Rebecca,

Congratulations on your new job. Great that you had your port removed too. I am also three weeks away from my diagnosis and one year and 5 months that I ended herceptin. I have been suffering from cramps lately wich I believe is obviously a lack of potasium. Do you have an idea of why we suffer from this, would this be a side effect of our chemo and/or herceptin? Have no idea, but it really bothers me. I am trying to eat bananas and tomatoes every day. God luck with everything and hope this will not bother you in the future.

Paty

freyja 08-22-2009 09:01 PM

Congrats! How does it feel? Having mine out soon. Was the process painful or pretty easy?
Celeste

Cannon 08-23-2009 06:02 AM

The process was remarkably easy - in office, local anesthesthetic, about 45 min including surgeon lining up all his gauze pads. I've felt a little sore for 2 days after, now it's just itchy from the bandages. I forgot of course that he would want to see me later (not sure if the stitches need to be removed or he just wants to make sure it's healing ok).

Re: the potassium - no idea why. I've looked it up and it says usually result of vomiting, diarrhea or excessive sweating. I actually had a whole kidney workup before, and the kidney dr's conclusion was that my Crohn's was causing it - lots of loose bowel movements. That has not been true lately, but I have been exercising more and not eating much meat, which is apparently a good source of potassium.

I ate so many bananas during one low potassium period that I now cannot be near them. Orange juice is another good source, but it is too acidic for my stomach. I take the pill supplements.

Rebecca

suzan w 08-23-2009 05:48 PM

good bye port...maybe it was that I saw bobbing in Puget Sound the other day???!!! Great news on new job!!! Bananas and apricots...xo Suzan

Sheila 08-24-2009 05:39 AM

Port Removed...that must be close to burning your bra...a big 60's thing! That signifies a new beginning and freedom...as far as the potassium goes...plenty of bananas and orange juice....alot of time, something you take as medicine can cause excess fluid loss...B/P Pills, diuretics, even too much caffiene,,hope they figure it out!