HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   How does a breast cancer survivor smell nice? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63863)

SpitFire 10-03-2015 07:20 AM

How does a breast cancer survivor smell nice?

Is there any perfume or scented lotion that a breast cancer survivor can wear?

venus 12-30-2015 01:21 AM

Re: How does a breast cancer survivor smell nice?

Limit alcohol. The more alcohol you drink, the greater your risk of developing breast cancer. The general recommendation — based on research on the effect of alcohol on breast cancer risk — is to limit yourself to less than 1 drink per day as even small amounts increase risk.

Don't smoke. Accumulating evidence suggests a link between smoking and breast cancer risk, particularly in premenopausal women. In addition, not smoking is one of the best things you can do for your overall health.
Control your weight. Being overweight or obese increases the risk of breast cancer. This is especially true if obesity occurs later in life, particularly after menopause.

Be physically active. Physical activity can help you maintain a healthy weight, which, in turn, helps prevent breast cancer. For most healthy adults, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends at least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity weekly, plus strength training at least twice a week.
Breast-feed. Breast-feeding might play a role in breast cancer prevention. The longer you breast-feed, the greater the protective effect.
The above tips can help attack breast cancer antigen.

Jackie07 12-30-2015 08:02 PM

I think (haven't checked lately) that the Neutrogena brand is supposed to be perfume free and patient-friendly. However, long, long time ago - right after my brain surgery, my surgeon told me to use baby shampoo for my hair. So, perhaps you can check the baby product section to find safer product to use.

jaykay 12-31-2015 10:25 AM

I was not given any restrictions on perfume or anything else. Did anyone tell you not to use certain scents?

SpitFire 12-31-2015 02:09 PM

My cancer doctors told me I didn't need to avoid anything, I could take whatever supplements I wanted. They could care less what I put on my skin if they saw no harm in anything else. They didn't always check my supplements. I was laughed at by my mo because a nurse told me that it didn't matter if I was hormone negative or positive, I needed to stay away from phytoestrogens because they disrupt your hormones. I don't know what that means, phytoestrogens are in everything. But I had other doctors, not cancer doctors, that told me that breast cancer can mutate. That's how I got to this forum. I am asking about what lotions and perfume that you put on your skin. Won't it get absorbed? I know it is not the biggest factor in disrupting the endocrine system, but I want to buy perfume.

Juls 12-31-2015 02:50 PM

Hi Spitfire
I use Clarins products particularly their Eau Dynamisante. Its a lovely fresh eau de toilette and all natural! As far as I know their range is plant based.
Juls

piesscoot 11-16-2016 04:53 AM

I never thought breast cancer survivors have different smell.

StephN 11-25-2016 01:57 PM

Try to avoid products with parabens.

Do you know that your skin in the body's largest organ? What you put on your skin will make its way inside and travel through your whole system.

Any product that could have any causation with cancer I will avoid like the plague! Just because something says "natural" does not mean it is good for you. Learning to read labels and understanding ingredients is your best defense.

ElegantTurtle 08-04-2017 01:35 PM

Hmmm, As long as there is no restriction I would go along with the perfume I used to spray, or applying lotion all over my body.