HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Question about immune system (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30312)

Peggy 10-01-2007 06:33 PM

Question about immune system

I finished Herceptin in July 06. My white count is normal. However, in the past year I have had 7 or 8 bladder infections topped off with a massive case of shingles in July 07. I currently have another bladder infection and am still on pain meds (big ones) for the shingles. I have had an ultrasound of the kidney and nothing was found. I've done all the things we know to do to avoid bladder infections, but they keep coming. (I also fractured my pelvis and my elbow...but that's another story).

I can't seem to feel good because I keep getting sick. Has anyone else had difficulty getting healthy again? I feel like Job...what next locusts?
I take vitamins, eat healthy, excercise...any ideas? Is my immune system still whacky from the chemo? I must admit that between the shingles and the current bladder infection, I feel like pulling the cover over my head and just staying in bed. Luckily, I have to work to have insurance, so that's not an option. :-)

Peggy

Debra 10-01-2007 06:42 PM

Last year - post chemo and still on Herceptin, I went through a series of bladder infections as well.

I started drinking A LOT and I mean A LOT of water everyday. Always had water in my hand. I also stayed away from hot tubs and decreased my number of baths (I love to soak in the tub but only once a week or so is all I have time for)!

Since then, I have had only one bladder infection but was swimming in a lake just prior to. I just think some of us are more prone to bacteria.
In addition, I have had a hysterectomy and seems to me I heard once that may increase the risk of UTI's.
Anyhow, I know they say drink water but truly, a lot of water is the key.
Also, you can take those cranberry tablets but I love cranberry juice so I have that a couple of times a week as well.

Nothing fancy here for prevention and you I am sure have heard it all and maybe doing it all. Good think you had the kidneys checked out as with repeat UTI's, you want to make sure everything is fine there. Have they cultured your urine? If not, they should because it could possibly be the same infection, just a bacteria that needs a specific antibiotic.

Hopefully you will find some answers.

hutchibk 10-01-2007 11:14 PM

I had numerous UTIs on Herceptin w/Taxol. I drank lots of water and cranberry and it still happened. My onc eventually sent me to a urologist. It was determined that the chemo upset the pH of the urinary tract and at the same time, all of the 'female tissues' were highly sensitive to the harshness of the drugs due to the effects of lack of estrogen, menopause, etc. At that point both the onc and urologist suggested that I use Estrace cream more often, a small amount in the applicator apx 4-5 times a week. It made all the difference and kept me UTI free for the remaining 5 months on Herc/Taxol. Now that I am on Tykerb/Xeloda, I don't have UTIs... hope this helps.

Peggy 10-02-2007 03:06 PM

Thanks

Maybe I'm not drinking "tons" of water so I can try that. Also, I'll try the Estrace creme...they culture my urine and it's not the usual culprit. I'm doing the cranberry juice...so I choose to believe that "tons" of water and estrace creme will do the trick! Thanks so much for the suggestions. As many others have mentioned, we can handle the big things..cancer, but the little things like UTI and shingles can put you over the edge!

Thanks again,

Peggy

Becky 10-02-2007 03:49 PM

Another thing is - are they associated in anyway to sex. Sometimes, a dry vagina that is really atrophied has some bacteria or fungus associated with it. Then you have sex and those germs get into the urethra and bingo. Try to get up and urinate after sex to flush that away. You might even want to wash before and after (although sometimes its a feat in itself to have sex - then you have to get up to pee and wash too!!!!!!!!! Be real). But, I was getting UTIs very frequently and they were associated heavily with sex. I did the cranberry, water, peeing and washing to no avail. Finally, I was given Macrobid 100 by a urologist and I was told to take one tablet after sex. It worked well but the vaginal atrophy finally got to me and I got an estring (estrogen ring) and no more problems and no more Macrobid 100 is necessary anymore.

Lastly, with the shingles - your immune system does get whacked by everything. Get plenty of rest and eventually, you will get back to normal slowly. The UTIs might be due to this as well.

julierene 10-02-2007 08:09 PM

Macrobid? I had a lot of trouble with sex. I haven't tried much to fix it. But an estrogen ring is just stuck up in there for a long time or something? Anything to help with the soreness of sex would be great for when I actually get into a relationship again. For now, no sex, no pain, no problem! :)

Catherine 10-05-2007 09:38 PM

I love this site

Hey ladies,

I am always blown away with how helpful and knowledgeable you all are. I am absorbing this info in case I need it later. Thank goodness, if I forget and I run into a problem, I know where to come for suggestions and answers. I am thinking about getting a Shingles Vaccine. My sister is 66 and just got the shot. Our Mother got Shingles when she was 86 and she found this even more confusing on top of her dementia. So I am hoping that I never get Shingles.

Thank you to everyone for always being so helpful,
Catherine

hutchibk 10-05-2007 11:20 PM

A shingles vaccine? I've never heard of that! Do tell.

Sheila 10-06-2007 05:06 AM

The shingles vaccine is out! It is recommended for anyone with a compromised immune system or high chance of getting it.. The only requirement is that you have already had chicken pox. It reduces the chance of a person getting shingles significantly, and if you do get them, you get a very mild case. As with all immunizations, if you are doing chemo right now, you may have to wait to get it, until you are done with chemo. Some insurances will pay for it, and my Dr.'s office said it cost 150.00. As always, we must check to see if we are even eligible after chemo.