HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Who's her2 and lobular...?? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58889)

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-25-2013 07:20 PM

Who's her2 and lobular...??

I have been told over and over by oncs and radiologists and chemo nurses that it is very very rare for someone to be both.

They kind of gasp.

Then they ask me what yr I was dx, I say 1995 and they gasp again.

I add that I recurred in '98 throughout my liver. The same bc???!!!, they ask. Yes. Wow! AND LOOK AT YOU NOW!

So I'm just wondering -- I am pretty sure there are more of you who are both lobular (rare I know) AND HER2+...

Please sign in. It's nice to be unique but this is so weird, and the reaction never fails to shock. How about you???

ANDI

SoCalGal 08-25-2013 10:25 PM

Re: Who's her2 and lobular...??

NOT me, but I just wanted to say hi to you!
(And I keep thinking of the Farmer in the dell lyrics, "the cheese stands alone", so didn't want you to be the cheese - unless we're back on the cheese whiz thread).

StephN 08-25-2013 10:33 PM

Glad to see your sense of humor, Flori! I am not Lobular either, and know only one or two who "were".

Just keep standing, Andi, whether alone or in dozens.

NEDenise 08-26-2013 04:40 AM

Hey Pals!
Not lobular... but I love Cheez Whiz!
Love to all of you!
Denise

hilsandglen 08-26-2013 06:29 AM

Hi, I haven't got my profile up yet . But I am Her@+++ and had invasive lobular and invasive ductal ca ! didn't know it was rare !

nancy dip 08-26-2013 07:45 AM

I'm her2 and lobular too.

Kind thoughts to all
Nancy

suzan w 08-26-2013 09:42 AM

I'm Her2 and invasive lobular...and lcis (lobular carcinoma in situ) and ER +. Everywhere I go...doctors say '' No Way'' and I say, ''WAY!!''

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-26-2013 09:45 AM

Thanks for the giggles and love -- Flori, Steph, Denise!!

Oh right I am invasive lobular (2 out of 21 lymph nodes)...

Hils you are lobular and ductal and HER2 -- YOU WIN! Wishing you all the best! You are obviously most special...

Nancy thanks for chiming in. The radiologist the other day kind of freaked me out. So many gasps. And then she seemed to find herself elated (after asking the 3rd time -- what year???) that I was alive! I AM ALSO ELATED! GRATEFUL FOR EACH DAY. ONE DAY AT A TIME...

Waiting for yet another biopsy. Needle biopsy of my only remaining breast. Should know today, or tomorrow... I BELIEVE I DO NOT HAVE CANCER. Waiting for confirmation is all...

Never had a needle biopsy. Not terrible. Could go forever without ever having to do it again however... Just saying...

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-26-2013 09:48 AM

Yes Susan -- WAY! AND -- 4TH STAGE!!! THAT REALLY BLOWS THEM AWAY... They seem not to be able to grasp that I am still here. YOU NEVER HEAR THAT, they say. Don't know whether to smile or cry. But always choose to SMILE! (Then look up and say THANK YOU...)

PatE 08-26-2013 10:16 AM

Andi,
Not lobular, just wanted to say"hi" and thinking of you. Sending good biopsy results your way. You inspire me!

Pat

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-26-2013 10:45 AM

Hi Pat!

It inspires me to know I inspire you... :o))

Waiting since last Thursday. So been busying myself to keep my mind occupied. We all hate waiting... Immediate gratification is so much appreciated!

Thanks for the hi.

LOVE,
ANDI

jaykay 08-26-2013 11:24 AM

Hi Andi,

Not lobular either but chiming in for good biopsy results, too.

I remember when you stopped Vitamin H - in my "lurker" days before my 2nd round of BC. Love your attitude and your willingness to share. We are all in this together.

Janis

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-26-2013 11:36 AM

You're so right on, Janis! We are all in this together! Here on the board, and in Life.

We are all here on this planet to love, to learn, grow, evolve, give, share... lift one another up and in the process feel elevated!

That's my take. I BELIEVE it with all my heart.

My Inner Voice tells me my biopsy results are good. This is my 2nd biopsy in 2 mnths. It occurred to me that this could be my future. The older we get, we get new (previously unseen) "things" and -- based on my medical history, they have to check it out.

Despite what my Inner Voice says.

Sigh. I'm being a good girl and doing the right thing. So far. But my resistance is rising. I'm alive and well. Move on to someone who actually needs your help please, docs/medical establishment. Thank you very much.

Lani 08-26-2013 12:01 PM

Since I often help people with rare conditions research whatever is known/being worked on, I was approached by someone with PLEIOMORPHIC lobular invasive bc that is....triple negative. That is about 1 in 10,000-1 in 1000,000 bc patients. None so far that are her2+ also.

I think the lobular vs ductal subdivision of bc based on microscopy will be considered outdated in the future as the pathways driving the cancer come to be what is important in determining prognosis and best treatment options.

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-26-2013 12:48 PM

Came upon this old thread, as I was following Lani's pleumorphic comments, searching for information I could wrap my brain around. Thank you Lani! So nice to hear from you. Could you possibly explain the pathway thing?

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43171

In '95 I was 4th stage invasive lobular (2 out of 21 nodes involved) 9 cm tumor. I was ER/PR -- borderline. Previous mammo showed normal. "I" found this huge palm-sized hardness in my left breast. It was never a lump. More a general hardness. Having turned 50 I thought, well my body is changing???? But moved my next mammo up and went to gyn who'd not found anything unusual at last exam. He was in shock when he saw me. How could this have happened???!!!!! He was panting and pacing in circles, obviously very distressed. FYI: I was post-menopausal...

The nurse came to me when he left the room, threw her arms around me, and with a heaving chest said, I WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR YOU..." I knew I was in big trouble...

After mastec, tram flap reconst, chemo I was given Tamoxifen.

Recurred in '98. 4th stage invasive lobular throughout my liver. I asked to be tested for the HER2 gene. Paul and I had been informing ourselves since '95. (Herceptin was still in clinical trials, but...)

My reasoning was if I am HER2 + then they know what's causing my bc and -- as I live in hope -- Herceptin can target that bad gene.

I was HER2+ as of '98 (they didn't check such things in '95). AND I WAS ER-/PR-. I HAD BEEN TOLD ER/PR NEVER CHANGES. WELL... If you read the link above you'll see that Jackie also changed ER/PR. ?????????????? What's up with that?!!!!!!!!

I was told I was 80% HER2 positive in '98, which is the way they categorized us back then.

Docs told me to flush Tamoxifen down the toilet. One mentioned it could have caused my recurrence. Swell!

I think had I had the advantage of Herceptin from the getgo, maybe I wouldn't have recurred!

The FDA fast-tracked Herceptin, slated for more years of clinical trials and dilly dallying -- cause women were dying and being given 3 mnths to live -- and were begging for Herceptin. HERCEPTIN BECAME AVAILABLE TO METASTATIC BC PATIENTS -- SEPTEMBER 28, 1998. 1 mnth after I recurred! Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

So, bottom line, lobular is aggressive, HER2+ is aggressive and
I am sticking with my multiple supplements to help me keep my head above water.

Flori were you lobular (per 2010 post)? Now I'm confused...

Andi

Lani 08-26-2013 03:43 PM

ANDI--what I was saying is that historically, the only ways they had of identifying different types of breast cancer which might perhaps behave differently and might perhaps need different treatment were
1) their appearance under the microscope(ductal, lobular, pleiomorphic)
2) there immunohistochemical stain uptake under the microscope (ER,PR, her2)

now they can determine which pathways are active-- EGFR, her2, PI3K, Wnt, mTor,) etc and try to block the 3 most important escape routes. Still a work in progress... but promising route

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-26-2013 04:55 PM

THANK YOU, LANI for the explanation. I was just telling my husband even the dummied down version was a bit much for my brain to grasp. I so appreciate your input, as always.

I was nodding as I read your post, which means at least a bit of my mind understands. As I continue to process, it should settle in.

Weird being such an oddity... Not that I'm "normal" in so many other ways, I should be used to it. :o))

Soccermom 08-26-2013 05:37 PM

Andi , I had LCIS ( nuclear grade 3 pleomorphic? ) as well as DCIS and 1.5 IDC w/ lymphovascular invasion..,honestly, I never paid much attention to anything but the invasive portion and positive node.
Hugs!
M

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-26-2013 05:46 PM

It's kind of like the invasion of the body snatchers. No one wants an invasion!

What year was that M??

Look at you! Here on HER2. You're everywhere!! :o))

Soccermom 08-26-2013 06:44 PM

Haha!! My diagnosis was in 2004/05 (biopsy 04, masts full staging 05)

"Takes a lickin'..."

biopsy results?????
Holding my breath..