HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Fluid Retention and Diet Suggestions??? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57809)

RalphIII 04-13-2013 09:43 PM

Fluid Retention and Diet Suggestions???

Hello All,
My wife (44) had her first chemo treatment (breast cancer) a few weeks ago and is having some swelling and a little numbness in her legs at the moment.

I would appreciate any input in regards to controlling the swelling and whether supplements (vitamins) might help? I read where a high Protein diet or supplement could be beneficial for this and other things?

She is on the TCH regimen (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin). She goes in for chemo every three weeks, while Herceptin is being administered every week (at this time).

We spoke with the on-call nurse today but as I'm now researching a few things and alternatives...

God Bless,
Ralph

Jackie07 04-14-2013 04:36 AM

Re: Fluid Retention and Diet Suggestions???

Hi Ralph,

Not sure about the high protein diet as the product of protein digestion includes amino acids and water. It might add more fluid to her system!

Perhaps more fiber? As it helps soak up fluids (both oil and water) and might reduce the fluid retention.

Do follow up with the oncology nurse.

Meanwhile, try to exercise as it will strengthen her muscle and help the blood circulation. There are actually some tiny valves inside the vein controlling the in and out of the fluid. Check out the 'Chair exercise' PBS videos online. Those are safe and good exercises for anyone.

ElaineM 04-14-2013 06:50 PM

I would like to add a few things to Jackie's suggestions.
Some chemos can contribute to swelling and nerve problems. Some chemos can contribute to problems with the veins, blood clots in the legs, bladder or kidney issues. Some chemos can contribute to nerve issues anywhere in the body.
Maybe she should be checked medically for one of these problems before adding anything to her diet. She can ask her doctor for non invasive ultra sounds of her legs and/or bladder if she is worried about her bladder, blood clots or problems with her veins.
That said elevating the legs occassionally might help with the swelling. Pumping the feet up and down while elevating the legs might help with circulation.
Coffee and tea are diuretics. They may help get rid of some fluid.
Lasik (Furosemide) is a diuretic (water pill) that might help get rid of excess fluid. It requires a prescription from her doctor. Of course she will be visiting the bathroom more often if she chooses this route.
Some believe vitamin B 6 can help nerve issues.
Ask the doctor about the above information.

TanyaRD 04-16-2013 08:34 AM

Ralph,
I think I can shed a little light on how a high protein diet might help. If your wife's protein levels (usually measured by albumin in blood tests) are low it may cause her to have increased swelling. There are many possible causes for swelling in the lower extremities which have been pointed out in previous posts. This is just one potential cause which is usually corrected with increased protein intake in the diet. If your wife is having a difficult time eating it may be advantageous to use a protein supplement.

snolan 04-17-2013 07:56 AM

Ask the Dr if she can use compression sock to help control the swelling. Most sport stores sell them, they won't look like the old grampa ones of the past. Have to be careful because the fluid doesn't just go away it gets pushed to the larger veins of the body and the fluid can end up in heart or lung so if she has an pre-existing conditions with the heart the Dr would need to ok the use of them. I love the compression socks they feel great after a long workout, or if I have a long car/airplane ride besides what they can do for swelling.

sdstarfish 06-10-2013 12:20 PM

The # 1 food for getting rid of fluid retention is dandelion greens. Having said that, you really have to like them. You can saute them like spinach, but they are bitter. So you would do better to look for recipes that combine dandelion greens with other foods.
There is an herbal supplement that was extremely helpful for me when I came home from the hospital with fluid retention from a week of i.v.'s. I was 30 lbs. heavier than when I arrived at the hospital, all from saline! I used Solgar Herbal Diuretic. Good luck!