HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Pertuzumab, Trastuzumab, vinorelbine, (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55454)

mommyjamieof2 08-11-2012 09:54 PM

Pertuzumab, Trastuzumab, vinorelbine,

This is a investigational study I will be participating in. I was wondering if this is the same as the other being discussed here there is no name on the paper work. just study number MO27782.
I was told by the oncologist that he feels it will make the smaller tumor in my left breast disapear quikly and the larger on the right may also completly disapear and I may not need a mastectomy since I am to remain on drugs for this indefinately. He also said that it may not make me feel as bad and there is a chance of not loosing my hair. said they will watch the tumors over time and determine later if I need the surgery or not. I have HER2+ estro & Progest. If I do need the surgery tho I will have to be removed from the trial...

I am curious what others experiences are with these drugs?

Rolepaul 08-12-2012 07:16 AM

Re: Pertuzumab, Trastuzumab, vinorelbine,

The drugs will not make you lose your hair. My wife is on IV Herceptin and Navelbine (trade name of your drug) but had no cancer any where other than the brain. I am surprised at stating it will make it where you do not need surgery as that is a pretty big leap of faith. Let this forum know how it works.

mommyjamieof2 08-16-2012 05:23 AM

First day of chemo yesterday no ill effects yet. Hoping this works I have so much pain from the tumor.

NEDenise 08-16-2012 05:36 AM

Oh Jamie,
I'm so sorry you're in pain. I'm sure you're taking meds to manage it...but please don't be afraid to call your onc if you don't feel as if the meds are helping you enough. You need all your energy to kick cancer's a%$...you need that pain managed.
Praying that this new chemo cocktail starts to shrink that tumor ASAP...and that the pain recedes.

I feel like your screen name should be "BRAVEmommyjamieof2" or "KickAssMommyjamieof2"... or "Enoughalready!mommiejamie of 2!!

Keep fighting! Be good to yourself! Hug that beautiful family of yours!
Sending a gentle cyber-hug!
Denise

Mtngrl 08-16-2012 07:22 AM

Jamie,

Are you Stage IV? Is that why they're saying no surgery?

If the chemo doesn't dissolve the tumor and resolve the pain then they may rethink that. Even though there are conflicting opinions about resection of the original tumor for people who present at Stage IV, surgery is always an option for palliative (pain or quality of life) purposes.

Rolepaul 08-16-2012 07:34 AM

Pain management should be part of the treatment. If the drugs work as well as they should, the pain should be less after a week or so. I think I understand that the trial rule says that the tumor must not be excised so they can monitor the effect of just the drug. If they cannot moderate the pain and you must get relief, will they consider continuing as a compassionate care case?

Sheila 08-17-2012 10:36 AM

I have been on all 3 of these drugs, although not at the same time and had no hair loss with any of them....also they are all easy to tolerate for most. Hope this helps

mommyjamieof2 08-22-2012 09:20 PM

Thank you everyone. I have been diagnosed stage 4.. The lung biopsy showed it spread BUT when I talked to the thoracic surgeon while he removed my stitch from the drain tube he said that they only found cancer in a very small spot of one if the samples taken of four and it was only like three cells they saw. Now my breast surgeon said that if they found it in my lungs they would consider it in my bones with out doing the bone biopsy but my personal feeling is the two spots they see are not from the cancer but im not a doctor. I had my second treatment today no nausea but done stomach cramping and diahriah..but it also makes me extremly fatigued. No hair loss as of yet. The doctors are hoping that the drugs will completely get rid of the tumor so they can keep me on the drugs I an not sure about compassionate care but im good with not having the surgery if I can help it.we will see gonna be a long road just praying it works right now.

Pray 08-23-2012 05:20 AM

Hang in there Mommyjamieof2! I agree with Denise with either of the new names! Great ones! Your a young, strong wonderful woman. Gods blessings to you and your family. I will be praying for you. Peace my friend, Nancy

Mtngrl 08-23-2012 08:12 AM

I often wonder about interpreting scan results. I had a "second opinion" doctor look at my May 15 scan and conclude that there had been progression in my lungs. However, my oncologist says it's "not at all clear" that the nodules in my lungs are cancer, or that they had gotten larger or more numerous since they were first noticed. She says they are too small to biopsy.

I haven't had a bone biopsy either. One vertebra has a little hole in it that turned up on the May 15 scan. The August 1 scan shows it improving. That's either a treatment response, or evidence that, whatever caused that little hole, it's not cancer.

The people who write the scan reports call out everything they see. They don't want to be held accountable for missing something that could have been treated. But reading the reports can be quite nerve wracking. I keep asking my oncologist for interpretations. It's important for lay people not to jump to conclusions.

Growing older is not for the faint of heart.