HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Need tech. help, plz (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38294)

Bill 03-06-2009 01:55 PM

Need tech. help, plz

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen! I've been trying to change my avatar pic, but have had no luck. It says the file is too large. How do I manually diminisize the pic I want to use? And yes, 'diminisize' is a real word. Nikki coined it a few years ago, and as a result of common usage amongst the general population, it has become a real word. Sorry to be such a loser with a computer. If nobody can help me, that's okay, I'll understand, I'll just trudge along and figure it out all by myself, sniff, sniff. Aw, shoot, I never shoulda even brought it up.

PinkGirl 03-06-2009 01:58 PM

Hey Bill
You need some kind of program that re-sizes pictures. I use
IrfanView and I like it. It lets you change the number of pixels
and then the pic is small enough to be uploaded as your avatar.

If you like, you can send me the picture and I'll try to reduce
it and then send it back to you .... I do this for AndiBB .... she's
sort of techno-challenged ... not that I'm saying you are too but
you have to have some way to reduce the pics ...

Bill 03-06-2009 02:32 PM

Hey, thanks, Pinkie! I'll try that. I'll e-mail you soon.

chrisy 03-06-2009 03:48 PM

i found you can compress the files if you open them in I think it's microsoft picture viewer or something like that

sassy 03-06-2009 07:28 PM

Hey Bill,

Step One---print the picture
Step Two---using a pair of scissors, cut the picture to the correct size
Step Three-----uh....

hutchibk 03-06-2009 09:20 PM

email it to me and I will resize it in i-photo and email it back to you... does that help?

swimangel72 03-07-2009 01:18 PM

Bill - these are instructions using Microsoft Office 2003:

1) Find the folder where you photo is stored. Right-click on the photo and then open it with Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
2) Click on "Edit Picture". On the top tool bar, click on "Edit Pictures".
3) On the right task bar, underneath Change Picture Size, click on "Resize"
4) Under Resize settings - click on Predefined width x height
5) Click on the drop-down arrow and choose smallest setting which should work for an Avatar - it should be "Email Small 160 x 160 px)
6) Click on OK
7) Save the photo with a new name so you don't change your original file - click on the top toolbar on "File" - then choose "Save-as" and give it a new name, like "Photo smaller" - then click "Save"
8) Exit out of the program (the red X on the upper right of the tool bar)
9) A message window will appear saying that your changes haven't been saved (that's OK - you don't want to change your original photo) - so click on "Don't Save"
10) The photo now should fit for an Avatar - if you need help loading the avatar, let me know and I'll write out those step-by-step instructions.

I write instructions like this all the time for the teachers in my school - it's a really fun job for me! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/113.gif

Sheila 03-07-2009 02:32 PM

Bill
Doesn't look like you have changed it yet...maybe Pinkie would let you borrow one of her Spray Cheese Avatars....they are quite popular!

Bill 03-07-2009 02:59 PM

Hello Ladies! Thanks for all of your help. I'm just trying to choose my new avatar and re-model the bathroom at the same time. I'm sure with your help I can do it. Thanks again! (ok, I sorta lied....right now I'm playing my guitar and making home-made BBQ sauce and smoking a rack of ribs, but I'm real close to starting the bathroom re-model, honest)

SoCalGal 03-15-2009 10:12 PM

I thought you were like an FBI agent or something exotic. Now I see you are only a cheese whiz expert. What gives?