HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Off topic: Antidepressants (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39364)

MJo 05-10-2009 05:27 AM

Off topic: Antidepressants

Some of us here take Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors--SRI. I take 10 mg lexapro, which is not a high dose. I went up to 10 because 5 wasn't working. Does anyone here have the constant hunger/carb craving that sometimes comes with this drug. How do you handle it. I lost 54 pounds last year that I gained during treatment. Since I started the 10 mg of Lex, I've gained 20. I've lost my "No", as in "No, you don't eat three ice cream bars and a couple of cupcakes." I'm thinking of cutting back to 3/4 of a tablet. I'm estrogen positive and fat has estrogen. My oncologist and GP are very clear about the risks of being an overweight cancer survivor. I absolutely need the antidepressant. How do people handle the food cravings on SRIs.

Midwest Alice 05-10-2009 07:36 AM

Hey MJo, Is lexapro covering the depression? If so you need to weight out the weight gain and the depression relief. Weight gain is a side effect of many antidepressants but some may be worse for you than others. We have many choices, just like we have many chemo choices its just finding the one that works best for you.

I gained a lot of weight on lexapro. Then depression started breaking through and I was desperate for relief .I changed to effexor because it worked years ago when I went through my divorce. I now have lost 16 lbs of the 40 I put on. My life is so much better since I went back on effexor I kind of wish I would of done it years ago.
Effexor is from a different drug family and is considered a step up from the lexapro family. I read somewhere that effexor may lessen the effect of chemo, but it was guessing not fact.
I am sorry I am running on about this…. Anyway… If you decide to look for different meds a good Psychiatrist is worth their weight in gold.
At some point I need to learn about a new drug I heard about in 08. They were saying this new drug was showing great success for cancer survivors because it not only had benefits for depression but also anxiety.
We have another thing in common MJo; I too have to have my antidepressant.
Make it a great day!

Mary Anne in TX 05-10-2009 11:06 AM

Well, this discussion hit home for me! The last 2 months have been depression city for me. I get my attitude great and the next day, I'm a mess. Alice, what is the new drug you heard about? Sounds like just the thing for me. I'm battling anxiety (never had that problem) and depression. Makes me so mad.
The only thing that saves me is that I'm so compulsive and have to get things done. Gaining weight is not an option!!! But my life is way too limited. Help! ma

hutchibk 05-10-2009 11:53 AM

I was on Remeron for the last 6 months, and immediately gained 12 lbs upon starting it. And no matter what I did, it wouldn't go away. It ramped up my appetite like crazy, so I had to be very careful about my eating habits so that I wouldn't continue to balloon out of control. I can't afford to keep buying new clothes every 2 months. We dropped my dosage to 1/2 a pill about 3 months ago and I think it helped stabilize the weight gain a little...

But, once I got through what appeared to be a situational set of depressive circumstances, I decided to taper off about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I have noticed an immediate significant drop in appetite and I have already dropped 9 lbs, just like that.

Midwest Alice 05-10-2009 12:47 PM

Hey Mary Anne, I left a message for my sister-in-law to ask her niece who is in pharmaceutical sales about the name of the drug. She told us about it last year and we could only remember the letter it started with. Now I can't even remember that!!! I can blame it on cemo brain my sister-in-law can't,(he,he) I guess she is getting old.

Anyway, it would be nice to know the name. I will let you know when I hear. Take care,

Mary Anne in TX 05-10-2009 12:54 PM

Thanks, I'll be waiting to hear.
I have my list of questions for the doc. on the 29th.
this is top of the list!
ma

MJo 05-10-2009 01:07 PM

Thanks Mary Anne. I will ask my psych nurse practicioner about effexor. Also would like to know name of new drug. Last new drug I heard about was cymbalta. Tried it, but it gives me an uncomfortable buzz. Lexapro has been a miracle for me, but I have to do something about being unable to manage my appetite.

hutchibk 05-10-2009 01:54 PM

My experience with Effexor was not a happy one... I know many women who it works for, but myself and a few others I know felt tremendously "heavy" and sluggish on it, and I also suffered from restless leg syndrome on it, which is a non-starter for me.

I also now get restless leg syndrome from Phenergan and Compazine, which he says probably means that I can't use those anymore for nausea if needed.

Patb 05-10-2009 04:34 PM

MJo I am so glad you brought this up. I have been
on 10 mg. of lexapro for three years. starting with
the diagnoses of my bc. It has been a life saver and
I have stayed even through everything. No buzz or
high just even, but I have gained weight. This
winter I joined a gym with a trainer, nuitritionist and
did this for five months and lost no weight or inches
and the trainer could not believe it. Now the only
different thing I do is eat bread, I did not used too.
Sometime at night I want a piece of toast??? What
is this and why. I will address this at my next Dr.
appt. because I have for the first time changed sizes
after 30 years one size. I wish there was a drug
like lexapro but better with no weight gain. I just
add that to my list of side effects from having cancer.
patb

Midwest Alice 05-24-2009 11:46 AM

Hi, My sister-in-law got back to me about the new drug that has been successful with cancer patients. The drug name is Priftiq. Google it for information. The information I found said it does not cause weight gain. I will start a new thread to see if any of us has experience with Priftiq. Love and hugs to all.

Jackie07 05-24-2009 12:03 PM

Hi,

I remember when I was depressed one time after a job loss while recovering from my brain surgery. I was given some medicine and it seemed to perk me up a little bit. But the real cure came when I finally got a job and was both physically and mentally active.

Mjo, it's not off topic at all. It actually is the core function of a support group to help each
other deal with issues such as this. I think it's wonderful that you brought up the subject.

Cannon 05-24-2009 08:28 PM

Agree that this is NOT off topic.

I have been taking anti-depressants for years now (started prior to bc). I am actually on a combination of three different ones (generics for prozac, paxil and wellbutrin) - it works for me. I am interested to hear about this new med.

Wellbutrin is not supposed to cause weight gain -- it's the same med they use to help smokers stop (they market it to smokers with a diff name, can't remember what).

So sympathetic to the weight struggle! Spent an hour at the gym today, then had to nap for four hours -- how will this ever make sense?

jones7676 05-24-2009 11:30 PM

The person you see should be able to change you to a med that fits you better. I worked in the mental health area for well over 20 years and have seen the changes that can happen between a good fit and a bad fit.

For the second time in this cancer journey, I feel that I really need anti-depressant, but I am currently on so many meds that I do not know what will work well and fit in with the med regime - especially because I am in the process of eliminating many of them as they work on the Decadron reduction and elimination.

I had to stop the last one that I was on (Welbutrin) because it is not compatible with one of the drugs I am on. So I went without and having been doing well without it for almost 2 years.

The point is that you bringing this topic up was wonderful. The comments by you and others can help many including me. I've been debating whether I should try this again and you have convinced me I need to get going.

I hope you get "the perfect fit" - and I don't mean your clothes!

Midwest Alice 05-25-2009 05:21 AM

Correct spelling on that is Pristiq.

Barb, Thank you for your post, I agree the perfect fit means everything. Sometimes you have to try several to get the right fit and it can be very hard on one. Its important not to give up because when you find the right drug the pay off is a better life.

Bill 05-25-2009 08:24 AM

(It's Zyban, Cannon)

PinkGirl 05-25-2009 02:22 PM

Hi MJo,

I've been complaining about my weight gain, on and off, since I joined
this board. And here I am ......... still complaining.

I take both Arimidex and Celexa. My weight continues to climb ... I have
wicked cravings for sugar ...

I am going to make an appointment with my family doc and talk to her
about trying a different anti-d. I am going to stick with the Arimidex
for sure. Hopefully there will be an anti-d that doesn't turn me into
an eating machine. I have always liked sugar/chocolate but I have
become compulsive about it ... I don't want one chocolate bar, I want
10. I've also started drinking about two pots of coffee per day ... I used to have one cup of decaf instant coffee that I made in the microwave :) No one else on this planet would drink it .... now I drink tons of coffee, all day long ..... something is causing this ... I don't even like coffee all that much.

I hope my family doc has some ideas.

Mary Anne in TX 05-25-2009 04:02 PM

Here I am a Big "O" (yea) and have so much anxiety that I can hardly be around people much. I really want to do something worthwhile (not big, just worthwhile) with my spare time but find it impossible to be aroundmany people without getting wacky inside with anxiety. I did get a book to read to help understand all the feelings (not too many, I don't want to get too sane, it would scare the socks off me) that go along with all this life change....it's good so far....When Everything Changes, Change Everything!