HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   WANTED: Consumer Reviewers for Research Funding (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36139)

mts 10-16-2008 11:04 AM

WANTED: Consumer Reviewers for Research Funding

Hi All-

Every year I try to recruit Consumer Reviewers for the Dept of Defense, CDMRP (Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program)

This is OUR chance to actually help decide where and who receives federal funding for breast cancer research !!! I know many of us doubt the funding availability provided by the US government --- but this is an area where you can see exactly how bc research funding works and likely convince you that the money is there for the innovative research facilities.

Its a tremendous opportunity to meet some of the most gifted bc scientists and survivors in a forum that scores and ranks research proposals from around the world and the USA of course. If anything- its also a way to see and hear the latest in research that has yet to hit the public eye.

I have served for three years and every year I go, "other" breast cancer organizations show up in higher numbers... HER2's need to be there to represent the rest of us.

Please go to http://cdmrp.army.mil/cwg/default.htm
and click on how to apply. Its sooo easy and as a bonus-you get paid to do this and all transportation costs as well. Meetings are held in DC.

Maria

hutchibk 10-16-2008 03:00 PM

Oops, I have my paperwork and letter, but I need to get off my butt and put it in the mail! Thanks for reminding me, Maria! Love ya!

R.B. 10-16-2008 04:11 PM

Thanks MTS

I wonder if they would consider a Brit (-:.

Worth a try - sounds fascinating.

RB

Soccermom 10-16-2008 08:02 PM

I have an application Maria, but am hesitant to take on another obligation right now...
I only wish I could do advocacy full time and ditch the $10.00 job an hour retail job with health insurance..
Sigh...Marcia :(

mts 10-17-2008 06:13 AM

Come on ladies (and gents) ... sign up !

Marcia-

You can submit your app and when you get the call, you can tell them you can't for that time -but maybe for another time... at least your "in".
There are other ways to review as well--- I have completed one review from my computer at home (about 10 hours of work over the course of 2 weeks) and never had to go to DC. When I volunteered, I thought I was volunteering with no pay. I was truly surprised to get a $750 check in the mail !

I think the best part "bonus" is the invitation to the Era of Hope meeting -which takes place every 2 years-where all the funded research projects provide their results to date. A true source of hope for a cure. And you have a hand in it !

I hope more of us show an interest. My second year of advocacy was the first year that HER2 was the main focus of research (at least in the group I sat in).

Brenda: You can pretty much pick and choose which panel you sit on. Knowing this will better help you pick the most convenient time to serve...

Maria

RobinP 01-06-2009 07:06 AM

Thanks for the information, Maria. I've completed the application and will send it off. I would love to see HER2 get represented by the DOD. cancer research.

Margerie 01-06-2009 12:44 PM

Maria,

A few of my bc friends and I were just talking about how we need to study more about premenopausal bc. I think I will get this application in. Thanks for posting. Sounds like an incredible opportunity!

Vic 01-06-2009 02:30 PM

Hi Maria,

Great photo of you and your family and what a mountain! When is the DC conference held?

Thanks,

Vicki

mts 01-07-2009 01:31 PM

The conference is really a 3 day sit in a room and go over proposals with 15 scientists and two other consumers like you. Of course, by then you have already reviewed 8 or so proposals assigned to you and you discuss your reasons to fund or not fund a proposal... You get to vote on yours as well as every other proposal presented.
The panels are held sometimes in January over the computer or in person ( I am going Jan 21). Also in the summer -- usually end of June/ July.
I just received an email from the program administrator and they are looking to recruit more bc survivors. Especially from minority groups.
PS- The photo of the mountain is of "El Morado" in the Chilean Andes -- during Thanksgiving.
If you submit now, you will likely "get in" by the next round of reviews.

Maria