HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tomorrrow is day seven (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33186)

duga35 03-20-2008 05:29 PM

Tomorrrow is day seven

Since my first tx, and I am still sicker than I ever have been in my life. I'm running a fever for 4 days now, sick to my stomach, extremely tired, etc etc.
I called the oncologist today and he gave me some vicodin for joint pain(that's the least of my problems) from the Neulasta shot. My question is, is it supposed to be this bad? I knew it was not going to be easy, but I never dreamed it would knock me down like this.

I hate to complain, but I really think something is wrong.:(

juanita 03-20-2008 06:02 PM

Sounds like you picked up a bug while your counts were low. I'd call again because you're not supposed to run a fever at all. you could try your pcp if you can't get relief from your onc.

Joan M 03-20-2008 07:00 PM

Ask your oncologist to give you Emend if you're not getting it already. It's anti-nausea medication. You take three pills before chemo. It worked very well for me. I hope you'll be feeling better.

Bill 03-20-2008 07:23 PM

Doug, I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. I'm sorry, but I forgot what chemo. and pre-meds you're receiving, and how often. It sounds like you picked up a bug, like Juanita said. Thoughts and prayers to you, Brother

sassy 03-20-2008 08:20 PM

Emend or zofran should help with stomach. But it does sound like a bug.

Mary Anne in TX 03-20-2008 08:24 PM

Take care of yourself and know we're praying for a quick recovery. ma

Jean 03-20-2008 10:11 PM

Doug,
Maybe you did catch a bug, or maybe you didn't...could be your nausea
meds may not be working for you. If I remember correctly you are not
taking Emend...and that is a great anti nausea medication. I had Emend,
and Kytil and even a third as I weaned off the Emend after treatmemt.

Call your onc. ASAP and tell him about the the fever. Keep sipping water
especially now that your running a fever, you need to flush your system.
Sometimes a nausea medication will work great for some and just do nothing for someone else. So do call your onc. and let him know about
your fever and that the meds are not controlling the nausea.

I am sorry that you are having a rough time, please let us know what your onc. said and what he does.

All Good Wishes,
jean

hutchibk 03-20-2008 11:00 PM

Hi Duga

I was on TCH (Taxol, Carboplatin, Herceptin... is that the TCH you are talking about?) a year and a half ago - I never had the side effects like you describe. It really sounds to me like when your counts hit your nadir, you picked up a bug/flu or maybe a food-borne infection... which is pretty easy to do when you on Carbo w/ Taxol. Please call your clinic/nurse/onc or doctor on call to assess. I don't think this sounds right.

Let us know what you find out.

BethC 03-21-2008 05:13 AM

I felt awful with the TCH. My oncologist changed my meds after the first round and it helped. If you are running a fever you need to get your white count checked to make sure you aren't neutropenic. If you haven't called him, call him and I'm sure he'll want you to come in so they can check it. Otherwise go to the er. I started a fever on day 8 and was admitted to the hospital for a week. Good luck - you need to get that checked out right away.

Believe51 03-21-2008 06:40 AM

Hey Doug...

I with everyone with saying that you may have a bug. And for chemotherapy: Remember to ask for those premeds and take all medicine for nausea BEFORE getting nauseated. Hang tough Doug and I hope you are feeling better soon>>Believe51

basset girl 03-21-2008 07:57 AM

Hi Doug, sorry you are feeling so bad. When I was on AC I was very sick each time on the 5th through 10th day. Running a high fever, felt like I had the flu. They finally determined it was the Neulasta shot. For some reason I had this reaction to it. My last two AC treatments they gave me Neupogen daily instead and I was fine. They said they have occasionally had reports of this happening with Neulasta. Just a thought. It sure helped me to change though. Each time I went to emergency room and had blood work, chest X, etc. Never could find anything. But getting IV fluids did help.

Nancy

hermiracles 03-21-2008 08:46 AM

Hi Doug, hope you were able to catch up with your Onc and sort out what the problem was and you are starting to feel better. Most side-effects - if that what it is - can be sorted out by meds these days.
Anyways really hope you are feeling better bro.
Blessings
Hermiracles.

Alice 03-21-2008 11:40 AM

Hi Doug,
It is very important to determine if you are neutropenic. If you are, a simple infection can become septic and on top of it all can keep you from staying on your treatment protocal. I became neutropenic and feverish after my first A/C treatment and was admitted to the hospital with IV antibiotics for 4 days. After that I just neglected to tell my onc about my fevers. I know now how stupid this was and encourage you to have your white count checked. I know that Taxol, Carb, Herceptin was rough on me. The pre meds for nausia did help. Hope you feel better.
Alice

jones7676 03-21-2008 02:41 PM

Hope you are feeling better soon - I also believe you have picked up a bug. However, when your white count is low you sure can feel achy all over. It is probably just adding to the problem. Good luck

duga35 03-21-2008 03:13 PM

Hi everyone, thanks for your support:)
I just got home a bit ago from seeing my oncologist and he couldn't believe how sick I was. My blood counts weren't really that far off, so he thinks that I did pick up a bug, or the anti-nausea meds havn't been working. I was dehydrated so they gave me a couple of IV infusions and a different kind of nausea meds, and right now I feel better than I have in several days.

My oncologist did say that he doesn't think that he has ever seen a person getting TCH end up with as many side effects as I did. I even got the spilt nails and acne problem and I haven't had a zit for 25 years!!!!!!
I have to laugh about it I guess because nothing with me has been normal thoughout all of this. This is one for the record books. LOL

BethC 03-21-2008 04:03 PM

Doug,
I get the acne after every treatment - it is the Herceptin. But the good news is that the acne means the medicine is working!! See the article in CURE magazine. Glad you're feeling better!

tousled1 03-22-2008 11:06 AM

Doug,

Glad you're feeling a little better - sounds like you really were put through the mill. The trick is in finding what anti-nauseau med will work for you. I found that EMEND and Zofran worked best for me. I'm sorry you had such a rough time of it but it usually isn't that bad. Hand in there it does get better.

Jean 03-22-2008 05:45 PM

Hi Doug,
Glad your onc has you back on track. I am so sorry that the first treatment was so difficult. Hopefully, with the change in meds you
will not have the severe nausea.

All good wishes being sent your way,
Hugs,
Jean

kcherub 03-22-2008 10:16 PM

Hi, Doug! I am so glad you are feeling better...hopefully if you have a "bug" it will go away quickly, and if not that you get some better meds for the next round.

As for the acne--I was NEVER told that Herceptin could cause that! I was actually never told what was causing it. I have always had pretty good skin (as an adult, of course I went through the puberty awful acne), and was pretty down about it, especially not having any hair to cover it up! It was only on my forehead. Does anyone know if Taxotere can cause it, too? I am still on Herceptin, but only get acne when I used to usually get it (cyclic acne).

Maybe I will ask this question in a new thread, as it is really of interest to me!

Take care,

Colleens_Husband 03-23-2008 11:45 AM

Doug:

I am sorry you have to go through this. I know that chemo can be a fresh slice of hell. With Colleen, days five through eight were the worst and it gets better from there. If you don't go through dose dense therapy you will even get a week of feeling close to normal before starting again. You have been through a lot but you can and will make it.

Please remember that we are with you. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Lee