HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ELAINE M - Another member has her wings (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59710)

StephN 12-10-2013 01:06 PM

ELAINE M - Another member has her wings

I was sad to recieve a link to an obit for Elaine in my email this morning. She had not posted much and had not been here since 9/29. A post in support of KDR in July mention she had been in the hopital with pnuemonia.

Elaine wrote this inspiring post at the beginning of this year to announce her 14th year NED:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053

Elaine was not one to complain but did slip in some of her own issues from time to time. Always putting "one foot in front of the other," and encouraging all of us to do the same. More than 3,100 posts were made by Elaine in support here. She was very knowledgeable on diet and nutrition, as well as known for "gentle hugs."

Her obit in the next post.

StephN 12-10-2013 01:19 PM

Re: ELAINE M - Another member has her wings

1 Attachment(s)
ALICE ELAINE MITCHELL 72, passed away at Queens Hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii on October 31, 2013 after valiantly fighting HER2 breast cancer for nearly fifteen years. She was born in Manhattan, New York City, NY June 25, 1941. Alice’s parents were Ted and Christina Mitchell. She graduated from Hicksville, Long Island, NY High School in 1959 and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Asian Studies and Religion from the University of Hawaii in 1995. Alice worked as a Master Accountant at Hilton Hawaiian Village and taught English in Fukushima, Japan and at McKinley High School in Honolulu. She is survived by her brother William Mitchell (Kathy) of Florida and many relatives and friends who will miss her dearly. Alice loved Hawaii and Japan and her friends and family and was so appreciative of her doctors and nurses and caregivers. She will be remembered for her extensive knowledge of religion, breast cancer treatments, vegan diet and Asian cultures. Memorials may be made to The American Cancer Society. Alice’s Celebration of Life will be held at the Church of Perfect Liberty, 2258 Nuuanu Avenue (808-537-3237) on Saturday December 14th 4:00pm.

Posted in Family Placed Obituaries

KDR 12-10-2013 01:26 PM

So very sorry to hear this news about Elaine. May her family and friends feel peace in knowing she is in good hands.

So many wonderful and interesting things we learn about people in their life story; I am in Hicksville everyday, it's my neighboring town.

Karen

caya 12-10-2013 02:34 PM

Very sorry to hear about Elaine. She was a wonderful member of our Her2 community here and will be missed.

all the best
caya

jaykay 12-10-2013 02:41 PM

Sorry to hear this news. When I was diagnosed with a "new primary" last September after being ned for 12.5 years, she sent me a very nice note.

I asked her what stage/treatment/etc. she had been on and she wouldn't answer, preferring to say take it one step at a time.

I hope she didn't suffer and condolences to her family

Best,
Janis

Paty 12-10-2013 02:50 PM

This is so sad, another tragic news. Elaine was a great participant and supporter in this board. We will miss her very much.

Mary Anne in TX 12-10-2013 02:52 PM

Elaine, you will be so missed. What a fighter. And so talented and giving.

tricia keegan 12-10-2013 03:37 PM

I'm so sad to read this but thank you for telling us Steph, Elaine was an inspiration and will be greatly missed here.

Andrea Barnett Budin 12-10-2013 04:17 PM

Elaine posted this December 30, 2010. It sums up here cancer journey and philosophy of LIFE beautifully.

Happy New Year !! Hauoli Makahiki Hou !!
I couldn't let this occassion pass without wishing all of you peace, good health and joy in 2011 and beyond.
I was diagnosed in early January, 1999. A doctor told me I had 6 months to live at the beginning of 2000. I remember that day. I did not say anything. I just laid on his exam table quietly, but in my heart and mind I decided that was not going to happen to me !!!!!!!!
I didn't know how I was going to accomplish that task that day, but I figured it out as I went along. I learned as much as I could, was not afraid to challenge doctors when it was appropriate to do so and found ways to get the things I needed. This journey has not always been easy, but I kept going even though I changed the route a couple of times.
I changed doctors when I needed to do that. On the other side of the coin I am still working with one or two doctors I first saw in 1999. Thankfully they are willing to travel with me through this journey.
I am still learning and putting one foot in front of the other. I promised my doctors I will be showing up for check ups when I am 90. That is my goal.
Never give up !!!!!!! Determination, believing in the possibility of success, learning as much as we can, refusing to give up, and being proactive and aggressive are the keys to long term survival.
All the best to each and everyone of you !!!!!!!!!! Never give up !!!!!!!!!!!

I will never forget dear Elaine. Her advice re supplements, diet and general inspiration at every moment were treasured by all on this board. I am truly saddened to learn that she has passed. I also believe this is not the end of her story. Her eternal Spirit still is! Just grateful to have had her be a part of our lives and journeys. Blessings to her and to her family and friends.

Ever grateful to you Steph for keeping us informed on so many levels! And to finally see a picture of Elaine!

I do wish we all shared more of ourselves. I grew up in Rockville Centre on Long Island. I lived in Dix Hills and Manhasset. I know Hicksville well!

I didn't know she was in Hawaii. I know Harrie is there... And Harrie found me on FB! Which has been a fantastic connection. Though we used to e a lot about our kids and spirituality and much more, I've learned so much more about her since joining FB last April.

We know so very much about one another, and yet we don't. To me that is a loss all around...

Sent with Love and Light,
Andi

Laurel 12-10-2013 06:58 PM

Wow, Steph, I didn't see that one coming....really saddened by this news. She was such a classy lady and so very wise. I will miss her knowledge and encouragement. Elaine was a special warrior-woman.

'lizbeth 12-10-2013 07:35 PM

I don't recall her posting about a recurrence and the January post was so positive.

So sad to lose another special person on the board. Elaine will be missed.

StephN 12-10-2013 07:47 PM

REgarding "seeing it coming."

When we have had so many of our dear members in a fight for their lives we tend to forget about some we have not seen in a while, figuring they will show up in due time. I, too, was wondering and about to post a call out to Elaine.

The link I got came from her neighbor. This lady was kind enough to let me know that Elaine's cancer was still quiet and was NOT the direct cause of her passing. She had other problems, and had gone from the hospital to a nursing home, so did not have her computer the last few weeks.

Elaine's intentions were always the BEST when she came here to read about others and see if she could helps someone in any way. I will remember her heart and soul as that gorgeous yellow hibiscus she used for an avatar.

Bunty 12-10-2013 10:12 PM

Thank you very much Steph for informing us of Elaine's passing, and posting her obituary.

I always loved the yellow hibiscus appearing in a thread as Elaine's contribution was so valuable. And what an interesting, fulfilling life she led. Elaine will be missed for sure by many.....

And her being born in Hicksville brings us even closer as I've passed through Hicksville on trains many times in my life as I have relatives who live in Manhattan and in Northport on L.I., and I always had a little chuckle to myself when passing through or transferring trains in Hicksville at the name of the town!

Marie x

JennyB 12-11-2013 05:08 AM

Steph I am very sorry to read this today - I was thinking just the other day how I had not read anything form her recently - I so enjoyed her posts she was very knowledgeable and helpful. Its a hard log on today..

Much love

Jenny xx

michka 12-11-2013 08:38 AM

This is another shock. Not our Elaine from Hawaï! She was so supportive and active in our group. I will really miss her here. Michka

Jackie07 12-11-2013 10:23 AM

Stunned - both by her passing and her age - always thought she's in the
45~55 group.

Still, gone too soon. And she will be missed.

alicem 12-11-2013 11:23 AM

Thanks for letting us know Steph. I am very saddened by the news. Elaine was indeed a very classy & special lady and will be truly missed.

MaineRottweilers 12-11-2013 06:32 PM

Rest in peace, Elaine.

roz123 12-11-2013 06:32 PM

condolences to her loved ones

europa 12-11-2013 07:08 PM

This is so sad to me. She was such a great lady with so much knowledge. Whenever I had a boohoo moment, Elaine knew just what to say. So sad.