HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Port question. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60993)

Pamelamary 05-15-2014 10:31 PM

Port question.

After over 2 years of battering, my veins are beginning to howl in protest and a port looks to be inevitable. I wonder if anybody has had experience with the brachial port, placed in the arm?
I believe it an easier procedure, not needing a general anaesthetic, but wonder if it would be as easy to access and whether it might be an even more "obvious' reminder. Also it is a newer procedure and maybe less reliable?
Any input welcome.
Best wishes.... Pam

StephN 05-15-2014 11:23 PM

Re: Port question.

Only know of two people who had the port in their upper arm. Those did not work for very long, but this is not very recent so maybe they are improved.

My two port placements were under only what is called here "twilight" sedation - not a general. The procedure was only about 1/2 an hour or a bit more and did not require any heavy sedation. Ask them about what sort they would want to give you.

With the twilight, you only get enough drug to keep you under till they finish the stitches, then you are awake very shortly after that.

Bunty 05-16-2014 12:34 AM

Hi Pam, I don't think ports are put under general anaesthetic. Mine, put in about 6.5 years ago, was under just local. It was done as a surgical procedure, but I was definitely awake. Re the port in the arm, a long term friend from treatment had one in her arm, and had trouble with it. It never returned blood as a start, and eventually she got a bad infection from it. I know at my centre, they are not popular at all.

If you are worried about it being obvious, make sure they put in as low down on your chest as possible. I didn't realise this when I had mine done, and I find mine a bit too high up for some clothing.

Cheers Marie

tricia keegan 05-16-2014 05:51 PM

Like Steph I only had sedation rather than a general for the insertion of my port and could go swimming with it and do everything I was used to. I think the one you mention is harder to care for and open to infection, I was very happy with the Bard chest port although initially I refused it but when my veins protested I had no choice and it became my best friend and was removed with only a local.

Lnmum 05-16-2014 06:11 PM

I had a chemo port placed just under my collarbone. I had it paced before my 2nd chemo tx. I was give twilight sedatives and IV via my foot vein!!! My veins were all blown while trying to start the IV in my left arm.
It has been very helpful for drawing labs and taxol/Herceptin infusions until today. They could not draw blood. They administered heperin, which did not work. They administered cathflow. It's not uncommon for a port to get " blocked". I personally have a love/hate relationship with the port. I promise it makes things easier for chemotherapy treatment. I long for the day I get it removed!
Go for it, your veins will appreciate it. Good luck!
Loren

valleygirl 05-17-2014 11:13 AM

Hi Paelamry,

I have an arm port. It was placed about 2 years ago @ cancer treatment center in Philly under a general anaesthetic. It's still in and no problems.

Adriana Mangus 05-17-2014 02:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I had a port placed on my chest, it never worked, don't know why, it got
infected from the get go and it had to be removed. From reading some of
my sisters posts, I have been lucky with my veins; we only use the left arm,
so far - although some times difficult, the nurses have been always able to find
them.

What's twilight sedation? I was completely out during the surgical procedure-- about 8 or more years ago, maybe there is a better way to place the ports now.

Adriana

Deb33 05-27-2014 04:20 PM

I had a port in my arm just under my bicep. I'm not sure why my Onc suggested it there but it always worked fine and never caused me an issue. I was a little bit of a baby and always requested the cold spray prior to inserting the needle. It didn't "tuck" in under my inner arm like they thought it would and always looked like a gumball under my skin BUT no pain and worked well.

I had a local numbing agent to the area when mine was placed - it was done in a surgical room but I was not given anything to twilight or sedate me.

Good Luck - ports definitely serve their purpose.

Carol Ann 05-27-2014 07:36 PM

I have a port in my chest, my surgeon put it low enough so it has never bothered me at all, I've had lymphedema so its an extra good thing to have!

Carol Ann

crb 05-28-2014 09:20 AM

I had the port placed after my 1st chemo as well. About a couple of inches below my collar bone and placed kinda deep (had to use the longer needle for the chemo) which turned out a blessing since I have lost 15 pounds since and it is a bit more noticeable to me, but no one else. Sure I could wear something strapless and no one would notice (the scar is slightly still visible). Did it under the twilight sedation as well, on a Friday morning, and back to work as usual on Monday. I was extremely worried about my veins going bad with a year of IVs in only one arm. I also have a topical creme I put on about an hour before my chemo, so I feel very little when they start it. Don't regret the port at all!