HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Well, it's surgery for me!!! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25731)

Esther 10-15-2006 03:42 PM

Well, it's surgery for me!!!

I had an MRI on Sept 29 had showed an increase in size in the lesion in my cerebellum. This is the one that had been treated by X-knife (SRS) at Cedars-Sinai in Jan of this year.

We had agreed with my neurosurgeon that as long as there were no symptoms we would be in surveillance mode.

Well on Wed. the 11th in the evening I started to feel a bit off, then on Wed, I was beginning to get nauseated, feel pressure in my head, and by late afternoon my left eye had blurred vision. I called Cedars on Thurs morning, by that evening I was in having a CT scan, they said it was too soon for another MRI, it wouldn't really show them more. The CT showed significant Edema around the lesion, this was causing pressure, and producing the symptoms.

After meeting with my Dr on friday morning the 13th, my two options were to take decadron and watch and wait. Or go for surgery to get the lesion out. Given my symptoms and how quickly they had come on, and the fact that the recommendation was to go ahead with surgery, I have made the decision to go ahead with surgery and it is being scheduled for Wed. Oct 18th at Cedars-Sinai in L.A.

Pretty fast work huh? Oh well...at least I'll get it over with quickly.

Surgery is on the 18th, I'll be in ICU for the first 24 hours, moved into a regular room after that, probably on the 19th. I will likely be in the hospital for 4-5 days.

Anyone who lives in the area is welcome to come visit, hospital tv sucks and I would appreciate the diversion. I will be in Cedars-Sinai in L.A. under the name Esther Butler.

I told Dr. Black that I expected to be able to be physcically fit and functioning by the 10th of Dec., because I had a ski trip planned for Mammoth for that week-end. We have tickets for a Murder Mystery Dinner for the night of Halloween, the 31st, so I fully expect to be functioning by that date. HA!

Well...that's my news for now, kind of sucks, but that's life, and I'll keep plugging away. I feel good about my decision to have surgery, and I'm comfortable that is the appropriate option at this point. Just wish the SRS had done the trick but I got 10 months of great QOL out of it, so that's not bad.

TriciaK 10-15-2006 04:00 PM

Esther, you are incredible! I have no doubt you will sail through this surgery and be ready for theatre and skiiing and anything else right on time! We will all be thinking of you and praying for you. My big move from Arizona to Utah is scheduled those same two days, the 19th and 20th. I look forward to it about as much as you do the surgery! I promise I will be thinking of you anyway and praying for all to go well. Hugs, Tricia

Barbara H. 10-15-2006 04:13 PM

Hi Esther,
You are in great physical shape. I'm sure that you will do well and have a speedy recovery. Last November my lesion begin to light up and I needed surgery. I had it done Friday afternoon, took a week off of school, and the following Monday I was back teaching 3rd grade. I only took those 6 days off the entire school year last year. I was adament about getting off the decadron as soon as possible because I can't stand the stuff. The area turned out to be radiation necrosis which can be a problem. The area is still lighting up, but not causing problems. At this point I won't allow surgery again unless it starts causing problems. Best of luck and my thoughts will be with you this week. If I were in CA I would come and see you, but I live in the Boston area.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

sassy 10-15-2006 04:13 PM

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Your strength and determination will have you back in the swing of things in short order.
________
Web shows

Sandy H 10-15-2006 04:30 PM

Esther, sounds like you are doing the right thing. Also getting right in and hopefully, right out. Wishing you a successful at this time. Have you and Steph been hanging out these days? She was having surgery as well. Sending you a big hug, Sandy

Cathya 10-15-2006 05:05 PM

Esther;

I am thrilled that you have the wonderful Dr. Black as your surgeon. All the best to you and I'm sure you will be absolutely fine. Take care. God bless.

Cathy

tousled1 10-15-2006 06:20 PM

Esther,

I'm sure you'll fly through the surgery and here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

karenann 10-15-2006 06:42 PM

Ester,

You give us all hope. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hugs,

Karen

chrisy 10-15-2006 07:24 PM

Esther, good for you jumping right on this. I saw you post about your MRI on another board - I know you must be disappointed to be dealing with this again so soon. I can tell you feel confident in your decision and you know you are in the best of hands. I'll be thinking of you and praying for a successful surgery and speedy recovery so you can get back to your normal "warp speed" soon.

Best of luck
Chris

Lolly 10-15-2006 08:28 PM

Ha, "warp speed", I like that as it describes you perfectly! I'll be sending you lots of healing thoughts, so you can be up and at em soon.

<3 Lolly

sherri 10-15-2006 08:32 PM

Dear Esther,

You are an amazing woman and you have to come to Whistler for skiing after your recovery. I'm sure you will like it here. I love to see you skiing on Blackcomb and I know you will rock here. This is another hard jump, but as usual you will do fine.
Big hug to you,

Shell 10-16-2006 09:15 AM

Esther-

you are amazing, especially with that attitude. it will get you far, and know that you have our support to back it up.

good luck on the 18th!!

Shell

rinaina 10-16-2006 09:44 AM

I wish you the best and hope all goes well. Stay positive and it sounds like you are in excellent hands. I hope your recuperation is fast and goes well.

AlaskaAngel 10-16-2006 11:10 AM

Hard choices, but right or wrong I think I'd make the same one, Esther. Glad you have some very bright minds to work with there... looking forward to hearing about your trip to Mammoth!

AlaskaAngel

al from Canada 10-16-2006 01:15 PM

Esther,

Wishing you all the best............I'm sure you'll cruise through this one.........I just bought myself new Volkls today.....see ya on the slopes.
Al

IRENE FROM TAMPA 10-17-2006 04:59 AM

Good Luck Esther

You Are Such A Trooper Esther.....

Keep Those Future Plans Coming. That Is What Life Is All About. You Will Be There To See Them All Fulfilled.

Good Luck My Friend.

Toril 10-17-2006 05:40 AM

Good luck with your surgery!!! Since I was diagnosed with BC April 2004, we have been doing a lot of travelling. Don't know what we would have done without it. So speady recovery!!

Love Toril

SusanV 10-17-2006 11:37 AM

Esther,

Best of luck and stay strong...Fight the fight !

Susan V

Ceesun 10-17-2006 05:27 PM

Esther-You sound so awesome-what a great attitude and spirit you have-a real lesson for me . my best wishes and best of luck to you. Ceesun

StephN 10-17-2006 07:14 PM

This cancer ...

... can REALLY mess with our heads! No - this is not just a '60's expression, it is "for real!"

Your symptoms sound more scary than mine prior to surgery. I really had none either before Gamma Knife or with the necrosis. And - if I recall the position of your tumor - you will not have the dreaded post-op fluid problem from work in the posterior fossa (like me and Jojo).

And only with the surgery will anyone know for sure what is causing the increased enhancement and edema. Sorry you have to get friendly with the Decadron again. At least with my surgery last week, there was no need for anything like Decadron since they were not going past my brain covering.

My neurosurgeon told me (as well as my Gamma doc) that it is RARE to have ALL radiation necrosis causing the problem. (Hubby told me that we already knew I was "rare.")

If your surgery is not down on your neck (like mine has been), you should be fine for moving around and doing things. It is the Decadron that will bother you the most.

Will be waiting to hear some good results from you, Brave One.