HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Here I am... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60373)

Joanne S 02-24-2014 08:18 PM

Here I am...

1 Attachment(s)
It's been several months since I've logged on and was just thrilled to find messages from my HER2 sisters asking about me. Thank you so much!!!

I've kinda slipped into my own little world ---those who know me, know that I tend to do that at rougher times, but happy to say I'm doing better right now. Yay!

What's been going on with me??? Most of you know I was diagnosed with inoperable bc mets to the uterus. I went on Affinitor and Aromasin for 6 months. Unfortunately there was no reduction. I went for second opinions at the University of Michigan Hospital Cancer Center--- saw a breast cancer oncologist, gynecological oncologist, and radiation oncologist. All three doctors agreed my case was unique, but unfortunately could not offer any options. You may recall I was quite hesitant to have radiation because of the side effects. The doctors suggested I not get radiation at this time and that I wait until the time comes that the pain gets too much to handle, and then it would be strictly for palliative care-not treatment. Fortunately I don't have any pelvic pain. I was reminded that my prognosis in unknown – that cancer pretty much has a mind of it's own. No one can predict when it will decide to take over my body – only know that some day it will... :(

I went on Carboplatin and Taxol (chemotherapy)– cycle = once a week for 3 weeks and one week off. As expected, I lost 90% of my hair. The few strands of hair that remained turned pure white. Haaa-what a sight for sore eyes. After 5 months of chemo, the pain and numbness (neuropathy from Chemotherapy) in my feet increased so much, I was losing my balance and started falling---so I had to discontinue chemo. The good news is the chemo did it's job. My scans showed NO evidence of metastasis and my pelvic exam revealed 95%-100% reduction. Yay!!!

After chemotherapy, I started on anti-hormonal therapy pills. again. I have taking Fareston for four months. I just got the results of my follow-up PET Scan a few days ago. It does not show metatastic disease. Yay! However the scan revealed inhomogeneous uptake of the left hepatic lobe, metabolic activity in the uterine body and utero-cervical junction, and metabolic uptake in axial skeleton involving the spine, bone marrow and pelvis. Not really sure what all that means, but my oncologist indicated I should not be concerned at this time. She suggested continuing on Fareston (or possibly start Falsodex injections), get a pelvic follow-up with the gynecologic oncologist in April. I'm trying not to worry. After experiencing the shock of my initial metastatic diagnosis, I'm not as easily reactive now. I'm just taking it one day at at time and remind myself of The Serenity Prayer.

Now that I'm finally logged back on here, I need to read and find out how all of you are doing too.
Many hugs and prayers.

JennyB 02-25-2014 02:51 AM

Re: Here I am...

Joane - what a fantastic post - so glad that the chemo did its thing! I sincerely hope its effects are loooong lasting for you.
Welcome back xx

Aussie Girl 02-25-2014 03:04 AM

Dear Joanne,

You look beautiful with your "baby hair". So happy to hear the chemo did some good. Watch those funny feet. I tend to do a bit of a stagger at times with mine too.

Aussie Girl

Laurel 02-25-2014 10:12 AM

Joanne,

I am so glad to hear from you! It has been a rough few months for you, but I am praying things will settle down, settle in, and settle for leaving you alone! My hair is white and has been for many years now. I tell myself it is the new blonde!

snolan 02-25-2014 01:59 PM

Love the hair, like a little troll doll!

KDR 02-25-2014 02:03 PM

Hi, Joanne,
It's nice to see you back!
Wishing continued healing in every aspect,
Karen

Jackie07 02-25-2014 03:35 PM

"It does not show metatastic disease. Yay!"

Ceesun 02-25-2014 04:42 PM

Thanks for the update....was worried about my Michigan gal! Cathy

sassy 02-25-2014 06:48 PM

Great to hear from you Joanne!

Yea--no metastatic disease!

Mtngrl 02-25-2014 07:41 PM

Dear Joanne,

So glad to hear from you! And your hair does look adorable.

What you said--about how after the metastatic diagnosis you're not as reactive--is so true! After news like that, everything else is just kind of anticlimactic.

Hang in there!

suzan w 02-25-2014 08:57 PM

Glad to "see" you back!!! Even with all those fancy sounding words, seems like you are on the right track. I'm a firm believer in the Serenity Prayer!!!

Pray 02-25-2014 10:43 PM

Glad to have you back Joanne! You're in my prayers. I don't post often anymore but I do try to keep tabs on everyone here! His peace my friend

Catherine 02-25-2014 10:55 PM

Hi Joannne, I hope you continue to get reports!
hugs, Catherine

Pamelamary 02-25-2014 11:46 PM

Glad to have you back, Joanne! It does sound as if you had a rough couple of months, but the current situation sounds great - as good as it gets for us metsters, anyway.
Stay serene..... Pam

Paula O 03-01-2014 07:41 AM

I'm rejoicing with you over your great news! I'm so glad the treatment has been so effective for you. Is your neuropathy improving?

A young woman I know also had her breast cancer recently met. to her uterus and I think also her ovaries and had a hysterectomy yesterday. Crazy cancer...wish it didn't have the nature to spread. Terrific that you've stopped it in it's tracks.

Welcome back :)

Paula