HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   White noise static... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52978)

dicuts 01-25-2012 12:43 PM

White noise static...

i got white noise in head and ears after last dose of hercepton from June 2011 still have it. Anyone else. I can't stand it.

snolan 01-25-2012 01:09 PM

Re: White noise static...

Could be an inner ear problem, a visit to an ENT might shed some light.

karen z 01-26-2012 06:50 AM

I did not get this. I would check with all appropriate docs.

Delaney 01-26-2012 07:29 AM

Could it be tinnitus? If so, 2 wks of gingko biloba should help.

Unregistered 06-02-2012 12:47 PM

I don't have white noise, but for the last two years I have had degraded hearing in one ear. I have passed so many hearing tests I have lost count. Been to numerous ENT's. All baffled. Mostly its a muffled type of hearing. If I am in a noisy room, forget it, I can't make out a word from anyone talking to me.

I have been on Herceptin for 6 years following regular chemo because of matastesis.

Maybe this will help you

rhondalea 06-02-2012 05:33 PM

Well, I've had "musical ear syndrome" for years, and I can promise you that "white noise" is an upgrade.

I used to experience a lot of white noise when I was self-medicating hypoglycemia with pure sugar (hard candies, to be precise). By the end of the day, I felt almost as if my brain were buzzing/vibrating.

One of the known side effects of Herceptin is hypoglycemia, so that's a very real possibility (depending on what and how often you eat).

Another possibility is neuropathy, yet another potential side effect of Herceptin. (I should have known this before, but I discovered it only moments ago, and I'm still a'boggle.)

If I were in your shoes, I'd start with the oncologist and work my way through as many doctors as it takes to get an answer. The good news is that this is not something even an ignorant doctor will insist you have evaluated by a psychiatrist (which is a hoop I had to jump through because when you tell people you're hearing symphonies, hymns and Christmas carols, they undoubtedly think you're crazy), but if it is tinnitus, you probably won't get much help from western medicine.

I've been taking pine bark extract, a/k/a pycnogenol, for other reasons, but apparently one of the side effects is that it eases tinnitus (and it certainly has turned down the volume on the music in my ears). There are a few other herbs and supplements that also might be useful, but as I said, the smart money is on getting the serious stuff ruled out first.

You must be miserable right about now, so I wish you the very best in resolving the noise. Hang in there.