HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   lung mets (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46958)

Rob 09-30-2010 07:47 PM

lung mets

My daughter in law developed lung mets that were seen 9/29. She started a trial that involved insulin receptors, in the beginning of August. Lung tumors were not observed then. She has had bone involvement for two years and was on Xyloda/Tykerb during this time. This is the first spread into soft tissue.
Her oncologist will get back to her in a week.
I would appreciate thoughts about prognosis, treatment options, anything that comes to mind.
Thanks

Cal-Gal 09-30-2010 09:08 PM

Re: lung mets

Hi Rob-

I am unable to help out with this one, but is that correct that
your daughter in law developed lung mets yesterday? if not what year? you didnt indicate what year? I was a bit confused reading this=but nothing new there-I am confused a lot---

Good Luck!!!!

Rob 09-30-2010 10:42 PM

Hi Cal-Gal, thanks for the reply.
The mets were visible on the CAT scan taken yesterday. A scan taken in the beginning of August showed none, so the tumors have been growing over the last two months.

Rich66 09-30-2010 11:02 PM

Both lungs? How many and how large?

Rob 10-01-2010 11:55 AM

Rich66
Multiple 6-8mm sites [number ?], in both lungs.
Rob

CourtneyL 10-01-2010 04:39 PM

Hi Rob - I have had two bouts of lung mets, both successfully cleared up with various chemos. The first occurrence was at the time of my initial diagnosis. As you can see from my signature, I was initially put on Cytoxan, Taxotere and Herceptin. The lung mets came back last fall and I was treated with Gemzar/Herceptin. Fingers crossed that they don't come back again.

Know that your daughter-in-law has many treatment options available. Next up in my chemo arsenal should I need it is Navelbine. I'd have your DIL ask about these chemos as possible systemic treatments. Radiation may also be an option.

Rob 10-01-2010 06:43 PM

Hi CourtneyL
Thanks for the encouraging information. DIL will follow through.

Rich66 10-01-2010 08:47 PM

I asked because I recently learned that interventional radiologists consider lesions under 3cm the best candidates for "local" therapies like RFA, cryotherapy etc. So..you probably have leeway to try dealing with them through systemic chemo..just figured it's good to know if/when a lesion is bumping up against a size limit. Had I been aware of this issue, would have been more persistent in pursuing local therapies earlier. I get the sense oncs naturally tend to think more in terms of the tools they have more training in...i.e. chemo
Joan has direct knowledge of local treatments of lung mets and will likely opine.
I have placed some lung met info HERE

Rob 10-02-2010 05:04 PM

Thanks Rich66
Will pursue this with onc this week.

Sherryg683 10-02-2010 09:09 PM

I was diagnosed in Dec 05 with 2 small lung mets. I did 4 months of Taxotere, Xeloda, and Herceptin..I took the herceptin in conjunction with the other two. I had a complete response to the chemo and have been cancer free since then. I was given a 19 percent 5 year survival rate and here I am. In December it will be 5 years and I feel great. I do remain on Herceptin indefinately and I have PET/CT scans every 6 months.
sherryg

Rob 10-03-2010 09:28 AM

Sherryg683
Thanks, you brought a smile to my face.

Chelee 10-04-2010 02:15 AM

Rob,
We have another Her2 sister on this board "mamacze" (Kim). She may drop in and chime in? She had mets to four lobes of her lungs & liver in 2004...she did Navelbine/Herceptin combo and had been NED (no evidence of disease) since. :) She has just maintained on Herceptin alone. This might be a good time to set-up a 2nd opinion so you hear other options. Keep us updated.

Chelee

Rob 10-05-2010 10:41 AM

Thanks Cheelee
Will keep you updated.

Rob 10-14-2010 10:46 AM

DIL will start navelbine/herceptin treatment in a few days. There is a question as to whether Canada will pay for a second round of herceptin.

Jackie07 10-14-2010 10:38 PM

There are several members who are also residents of Canada. If you look at the signatures of long-time survivors, you will see many have been on Herceptin either continuously or whenever there's a recurrence.

I hope everything works out well for your daughter-in-law.