HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   It's FLU SHOT time. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56419)

StephN 10-29-2012 12:29 PM

It's FLU SHOT time.

Just a reminder to anyone who has not yet had their flu shot.

My hubby and I got ours last Friday at our respective clinics. I barely felt getting the shot, and did not have the normal slightly sore spot on my high upper arm. Just felt a little like having a short nap a few hours after getting the shot.

Do everything to stay healthy, including avoiding anyone who is coughing or looks like they may be sick!

NEDenise 10-29-2012 02:29 PM

Re: It's FLU SHOT time.

Steph,
Got my flu shot last week too. Mine wasn't sore this time either. Hmm...
Being a teacher in an elementary school...I'm exposed to a lot. Would you believe we've had multiple cases of Whooping Cough (pertussis) in my school and the surrounding area this year? The scare about immunizations causing autism (now completely de-bunked) made enough parents opt out...that now we're paying the price.

If it's not one thing...it's another! :)
Denise

rhondalea 10-29-2012 02:39 PM

I had my flu shot on August 30--the first day they were available where I live.

I'm a true believer when it comes to vaccinations, and I'm up on all of them, including the shingles shot.

I'm glad to see that you're posting, Denise. I know you're in the middle of the same bad weather I am, so I hope your power stays on for the duration.

Mary Jo 10-29-2012 05:37 PM

I got mine too. My hubby got the shingles vaccine too. I didn't. I guess I should,huh?

karen z 10-29-2012 06:31 PM

Got mine this year at my university. That was easier than usual.
And good advice Steph.
KZ

StephN 10-29-2012 06:35 PM

I also got my zoster/shingles vaccine a couple of years ago. Recommended if you are 60 years of age or older.

Those of you young chickies could ask about it.

chrisy 10-29-2012 09:49 PM

They gave me flu AND pneumonia vaccine as the last act of torture before releasing me from my last hospital stay..at least it saved me a separate trip and one more thing crossed off the list.

StephN 10-29-2012 10:36 PM

Good reminder, Chrisy, about the pneumonia vaccine. I have had one and a booster. But forget how often it is supposed to be "boosted."

Westcoastgirl 10-30-2012 01:37 PM

Just watched an on line seminar offered by Johns Hopkins University and they suggested we survivors have the following; flu shot yearly, tetanus (every ten years), a one time booster for Whooping Cough as an adult, and the Shingles vaccine (good for a lifetime). My dr also thought I should have the pneumonia vaccine which I was told is good for a lifetime. Thanks for the reminder, Steph.

Jackie07 10-30-2012 05:08 PM

Saw my new oncologist yesterday and he didn't remind me about it!

Am supposed to get a bone density scan (DXA - because he had switched me [from Tamoxifen] to Exemestane) in 2, 3 weeks. Guess I'll try to get a flu shot then.

rhondalea 11-03-2012 03:23 PM

About the pneumonia vaccine, the CDC says:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...ds/vis-ppv.pdf

A second dose is recommended for people 65 years and older who got their first dose when they were younger than 65 and it has been 5 or more years since the first dose. A second dose is recommended for people 2 through 64 years of age who: - have a damaged spleen or no spleen - have sickle-cell disease - have HIV infection or AIDS - have cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma - have nephrotic syndrome - have had an organ or bone marrow transplant - are taking medication that lowers immunity (such as chemotherapy or long-term steroids)When a second dose is given, it should be given 5 years after the first dose.

For now, at least, the shingles vaccine recommendation is a single lifetime dose, no matter when you receive it.

Although I'm only 54, I prevailed upon my doctor to write a prescription for the shingles vaccine (a prescription is not needed if you are 60 or over). I decided that if I ever need chemotherapy again, I don't want to have to deal with shingles too.

KDR 11-03-2012 06:34 PM

Had my flu shot a few weeks ago and this time my arm was sore for a week. T-DM1 really affects muscle strength and tolerance.

Karen

Redwolf8812 11-04-2012 02:03 AM

My doctors never mention flu, or any other, vaccines to me. Hmmmmm....

sarah 11-04-2012 04:00 AM

thanks stephanie, a good reminder. we tried to get one before going to China but they weren't ready yet, said we were heading where it comes from! Everyone 60 or 65, in France automatically gets a reninder in the mail and a notice saying you're entitled to a free flu shot.
I did get the pneumonia shot and was told to get a booster in 5 years time.
I've asked about the Zoster vaccine but they don't seem to think it's helpful here which is a pity but I'll ask again.
Take care
Sarah

Jackie07 11-06-2012 04:57 PM

Got our flu shots today. Hubby asked the nurse/technician about the Shingle's vaccine and Whooping cough shots. One of our nieces is due to have her 2nd baby the end of the month, and we've been warned that we will not be allowed to see the baby unless we have had the (Whooping cough) shots.

Read from the CDC Website that the shots need to be taken 2 weeks beforehand. Need to talk to our family physician about it soon.