HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Herceptin side effects? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52666)

KsGal 12-31-2011 12:44 AM

Herceptin side effects?

Hi everyone. Im sorry I am so full of questions, but this is all so new to me. My doctor has scheduled me for a "loading dose" of herceptin next Wednesday morning, and I have to be at work at 2 that afternoon. He seems to think that I will be fine doing that. I, however, would like to ask all of you if you have any side effects from Herceptin the day of treatment, and if there is anything I should do to prepare for it. Do I need to ask for any antinausea medication or anything?
Also, I told the doctor I was having some little mini panic attacks, and he gave me a prescription for Ativan. I thought this was to make you sleep? Is this really something I want to take when I am at work, etc? Thank you all for putting up with me and my incessant thread posting.

kykeon22 12-31-2011 02:49 AM

Re: Herceptin side effects?

Hi KsGal,

I'm sorry you have to go through all this.
My mum got her first IV Hercepting almost four years ago. The very first IV gets her a fever which lasted just one day. She was shivering and her temperature was about 38 Celsius. And she slept all day and all night. The onc said that it's pretty much common to have fever after the first infusion. The following IV were uneventful, she felt well and was able to do everything. So my advice is to take the day off at least for the first IV, maybe even for the second one. See how do you cope with it and then take a decision about what you are able to do or not after herceptin IV.

Wish everything will go smoothly for you.

Kykeon

karen z 12-31-2011 07:20 AM

Hi. I did not have any problems at all. Everyone is different. You can always take off work and see how you do.

Becky 12-31-2011 09:46 AM

Usually with the first dose you get Tylenol (as many do get this fever) and benadryl as some can get an allergic reaction. Subsequent doses - you may not need these pre-meds (I didn't). So... if benadryl makes you very sleepy you might have a problem.

The next day I had a super headache that was relieved by tylenol or advil. Herceptin made me alittle tired the next day but I had no problems with it. I do an extreme amount of business travel and continued that throughout Herceptin (although I did not during chemo or rads (have to be around for radiation every day so you can't go out of town).

You could go to work though depending on how benadryl makes you feel. As I said, you might not need the benadryl again after the first time.

CoolBreeze 12-31-2011 05:02 PM

My only side effect from herceptin is a runny nose. Get used to carrying tissues in your purse! It's a funny kind of runny nose too - pure water. You don't even know it's coming then you'll move your head and whoosh!

I sometimes get a VERY mild backache but nothing a tylenol won't fix. I don't know if it's the herceptin or the big ugly barcaloungers you have to sit in when you get your dose. :) Somebody above said they got a headache, but I wanted to let you know that I have suffered with migraines for 30 years and herceptin didn't give me one. So, it's not a guarantee, although I'm very sorry for the person who got one.

Herceptin is really a non-event. I have started and stopped a few times and have had several loading doses, don't recall ever getting benedryl or pre-meds with it so if they don't give it to you don't worry. It will just depend on the protocol in your oncologists office.

KsGal 01-02-2012 12:40 AM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I feel good about getting the loading dose Wednesday, because I will be doing something to stop this stuff that is growing in me!!! In fact, I would have taken it the day they told me my biopsy results if I could have, that is how excited I am to get this moving. A little more worried about the taxotere and carbo, but will deal with that in a week or so when the day comes. I will stock up on the tissues. Ugh...the runny nose sounds awful, and I have heard it mentioned more than once. On the other hand, its probably a lot better than liver tumors. ;)

Sheila 01-04-2012 07:01 AM

The only side effect I have ever had from Herceptin is a runny nose and watery eyes...I have gone through alot of Kleenex in over 9 years that I have been on it, but it is saving my life! Good Luck!