HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Feedback please.. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44614)

Emelie B 04-08-2010 03:10 PM

Feedback please..

Just got my PET scan results after 8 weeks of Herceptin and Taxol, and glory be I am clear! Had hoped for good response, but this was way more than I had thought possible given my prior scan.
Here is my question:
Our plan is to now do 12 weeks/3 weeks Herceptin alone, scan and if still good, onc. says no more Herceptin, just regular scans until something pops up.
Does that sound scary to anyone, or is it just me.
He also said that he thinks given my good response, that I should do well for several years.
Hope everyone is enjoying Spring like we are finally in Denver.

Thanks to all,
Emelie

mmoons 04-08-2010 03:22 PM

Re: Feedback please..

Emelie-

I have bo advice on the treatments schedule but had to post ...
CONGRATULATIONS!

I literally WHOOPED when I read your words! Glory be is right. I am so happy for your clean scans!

Maureen

StephN 04-08-2010 03:31 PM

Fabulous news, Emilie! Cancer, shmancer, huh?

I will offer that having had stage IV liver mets myself, I would tend to want to stay on the Herceptin longer than your onc is suggesting.

I, too, had good response to my treatment, but did stay on the Herceptin monotherapy for many years after finding NED. Maybe I overdid it, but that was the recommendation at the time.

However, I would not want to feel undertreated, knowing that the cancer stem cells can still hide out. Maybe at least a year would be a better bet at eradicating any cells in blood or lymph that are not showing up as a group/tumor that shows on a scan.

ElaineM 04-08-2010 03:36 PM

Go out and celebrate !!!!!!!

caya 04-08-2010 05:36 PM

Thanks for sharing this FANTASTIC news Emelie.

all the best
caya

Midwest Alice 04-08-2010 06:15 PM

Hi , Emilie, Great news :) I am NED and still on Herceptin.My onc said if it is working why change what we are doing. I have been on Herceptin for 1 1/2 years.

Wonderful news!!

dawn 04-08-2010 07:40 PM

Fantastic Emilie,

All the best,

Dawn

Chelee 04-08-2010 09:16 PM

Emelie, That is fantastic news for just eight wks! I'm up doing the happy dance for you...way to go. Woo hoo. The only thing that I would personally change if it was me--I would want to continue on Herceptin especially since you have responded so well to this combo.

Did your onc give you a reason for wanting to only give you Herceptin for such a short time? Why would he want to stop that? I would not want to wait till something "pops up". Herceptin might be the one drug to keep you NED so you don't have to deal with this again. You could always get a 2nd opinion and see what another onc has to say about this? But that is great news---go out and celebrate. (It has to be your decision...but after you complete the 12 wks of Taxol...I would really think twice about staying on Herceptin.) Thanks for sharing such good news! :)

Chelee

Rich66 04-08-2010 09:53 PM

If nothing else, you could ask about continuing the Zometa since it's fairly low in toxicity and keeps proving to have benefits outside of bones...seems to effect processes in marrow that alter the entire cancer landscape.

Ellie F 04-09-2010 02:36 AM

Hi Emelie
So very pleased to hear your news.This dilema about continuing herceptin seems to be raging here in the UK also. There seems to be a growing split in opinion. The first group seem to believe that stage 4 women should stay on herc long term and through recurrence. The second camp feels stay with herceptin (plus chemo) till NED then after a short further period have a break then watch and wait. The rationale for this is that it may prevent or delay resistence so if needed again it would be effective.
I think the problem is we don't have any long term research to back up which is the best way to go.
Cheers ellie

Becky 04-09-2010 05:07 AM

Emelie

I am so happy that you have had such great results. I am not sure of what to do. On one hand, I think you should continue Herceptin and Zometa. In the past, Herceptin was continued indefinitely but many Stage 4 women are coming off of it after being on several years. Most of what we have seen (at least on this board) is that NED women stay on Herceptin many, many years. These women are now coming off of Herceptin.

However, Ellie's point about resistance is a good one should you need therapy again. You could choose a middle of the road. Discuss with your onc why he is choosing this protocol for you. You can also discuss that all you have known in the past (via the board) is that patients stay on indefinitely. Then you can discuss this wide difference. You may end up really and truly agreeing with your onc's rationale. Or you may come to a middle ground and conclude to go with 6+ months of continued Herceptin alone. If your bones are healed, you would not need Zometa indefinitely.

Keep us posted and a huge hug to you.

whatz 04-09-2010 06:37 AM

Oh Emilie. Thanks for posting. That is great news. I can't add any advice to what's already been offered by everone else but I am so happy for you! :-)

schoolteacher 04-09-2010 09:51 AM

Emelie,

Glad to hear your good news.

Amelia

tricia keegan 04-09-2010 03:38 PM

So happy for your good news Emelie!!! xx

jml 04-10-2010 05:56 AM

;)Re: Feedback please..

Congratulations! Celebrate!Celebrate! Celebrate!

Thanks for sharing such wonderful news with us.
Successful treatment for any one of us is a VICTORY for all of us!