HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Signs of Tamoxifen resistance...? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37805)

mts 02-02-2009 01:51 PM

Signs of Tamoxifen resistance...?

Anyone have resistance to Tamoxifen ?
I started tamoxifen 2 yrs ago and had to suddenly discontinue due to the hot flashes, achey joints... etc...
I started back on it 3 months ago and I have had no side effects (I feel like I did when I did not take it) AND to top it off, I got my period last week !

I thought your period ended with Tamoxifen use...

Maria

Laurel 02-02-2009 06:27 PM

Maria,

Looking at your signature it indicates you are only 10% E.R. +. Is this correct? If so, I am not surprised you are not experiencing symptoms and are menstruating again. Frankly, I did not think there was any benefit with estrogen suppressors for E.R. positive below 70%, but I may be recalling that wrongly. I have heard of several younger women menstruating while taking Tamoxifen. I am participating in a Tamoxifen study where they do testing to see if I am synthesizing the drug properly and able to benefit from it. These labs will be drawn at my next exam in mid-March. I will try to remember to email you the names of the tests.

It seems you are correct to be questioning the efficacy of that drug, especially given its side effects vs benefit.

Jean 02-02-2009 06:57 PM

Hi Maria,
While tamoxifen does not induce menopause most women continue having periods, but it is important to report irregular periods or bloody vaginal discharge to your doctor.

I remember reading about a study that women under the age of 35 who had chemo had a higher rate of having their cycle return about 6 months after chemo and that women on tamoxifen were just as likely to be menstrauating as those not on tamoxifen.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jean

Shobha 02-03-2009 10:13 AM

My tumor was also only 10% ER+ and my onc decided not to put me on tamoxifen.

Believe51 02-04-2009 02:32 PM

Any concerns I should address with my Mom? She has been taking Tamoxifen since her breast cancer last year. Anyone have any advice for her?>>Believe51

Lien 02-04-2009 02:53 PM

I'm not an expert, but I seem to remember that Tamoxifen doesn't stop your periods. Chemo can do that, though. I also read that side effects like the ones you describe are associated with a better response to Tamoxifen. Meaning it's more effective. I've also read that while the benefit is greater to those who'se tumors' ER score is higher, there is still a benefit for those with lower percentages. Especially if you are young at diagnosis, this can be important. I believe that here in Europe it's given to those with a low score like yours.

F W I W

Jacqueline

mts 02-05-2009 11:40 AM

Interesting responses... some contradict others... I must admit I am more confused now than before !

Looks like more research is needed on this subject.

Thank you for your responding !

Maria