HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   update on my progress (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48332)

Pam P 01-07-2011 05:14 AM

update on my progress

Big doctor day yesterday. First my oncologist, then my ortho surgeon.

Onc. had my pet/ct scan report. Stable for the most part; bone mets same or slightly improved from Sept. scan. New on pet/ct (but also appeared on Sept. CT scan} small nodules in left lung low metabolic suv and non- specific. Onc. says not identified as cancer, but this is new and has me worried. My hemoglobin is holding at 9.9 since the transfusion which is good for me. My ca2729 has shot up another 1000 pts and is now 3900!!!!! That has my onc. nervous even though the scan report was pretty good. He wants to switch me to something stronger that tykerb with the herceptin. He mentioned abraxane or halaven. Reading Sheila's good results with halaven, I' like to try that. I won't start a new chemo though for another month or so to let me heal more from the surgery and get started or maybe even finished with radiation, I do have to have radiation on my femur and have a consult with that onc, next Wed.
I told the onc. about the blood in the stool tests being positive at rehab. He wants me just to repeat them now to see if it has cleared up. So I have my little collection supplies. Yuck.

My ortho surgeon had xrays taken and said the hardware in my leg looks good. He took out my staples and said things look to be healing well. No restrictions - do things as I feel comfortable. I have a huge hematoma the size of a softball sticking out on my hip. he said not to worry about it, it will dissolve gradually; should look much better in a week. Said to not start getting radiation treatments for 2 more weeks.

So overall good news I guess. I'm feeling in kind of a funk though- tired, blah,. Onc. said it's probably still from the surgery. Ortho didn't agree; said my energy should be back to normal now from surgery and tired feeling could be something else. I don't know if i'm a little depressed from being so homebound for these last 3 weeks. Maybe if I can get out of the house a little and back to 'normal' routine I'll feel better. That's what I'm going to try even though I don't feel like doing anything. Wah, wah, wah,

Thanks for listening and for all of your support and good wishes during my surgery and healing. Love you all. Pam

whatz 01-07-2011 07:04 AM

Re: update on my progress

Pam,
Glad to hear this somewhat good news :-). I'm not a bit surprised you are tired. You've been through the ringer these last few weeks. Added to that the holiday season and dreary weather...yep, good recipe for the blah's. Wishing you a good dose of "yehaw's" and keep on healing well.

Ellie F 01-07-2011 07:23 AM

Hi Pam
I am also not a bit surprised you're tired! You have been through so much for so long, why do we assume that our body will just bounce back quickly. Take your time, go at your own pace. No doctor or anyone else can say how long your particular healing wil take!

Good luck with the new treatment.

Ellie

ammebarb 01-07-2011 08:01 AM

Good morning, Pam. You did have a big doctor day, didn't you? Here's hoping that the choice of the next treatment is the perfect choice and that you'll see that CA2729 coming down...in the next month, as you continue to heal, try not to expect great energy or disposition. You really have been through a lot recently and we so often expect "rebound" of ourselves and are disappointed when it can take longer than we expect. Sounds like you have a plan to help yourself about the "blahs" and getting out a bit, and establishing a more "normal" routine is a good and reasonable plan. Saying a prayer for you as you continue to heal. Gentle hugs.

Barb A.

Mary L 01-07-2011 08:59 AM

Hi Pam, so glad to see your message. You really have been through alot and I think you are doing well considering all that has happened. I think getting out does make you feel better, just don't over do it. Best wishes!!! Mary L

Ceesun 01-07-2011 10:27 AM

Pam, I concur with the others that you have been through a great deal. Give yourself time to rest and heal...I do understand your need to get out and about, too. I am pulling for ya! Ceesun

BonnieR 01-07-2011 10:31 AM

You are so entitled to say "wah, wah, wah"! Dont apologize. At the same time "when you are in a rut you should not furnish it"! So feel bad but do some little thing that might make you feel better. What would that be? Reading a book, going to a movie, out to lunch?
And I am so tired of surgeons telling us how recovered from surgery we should be feeling! That is their mantra. It takes alot longer to bounce back, esp when you have other things going on. So just cut yourself some slack. And keep the faith

ElaineM 01-07-2011 11:19 AM

Happy New Year Pam. Thanks for checking in with an update.
First of all you are entitled to feel tired. You have been through alot and you have expected alot from your body recently. I would suggest you increase your activity level little by little. Please don't try to do it all at once. Your body will let you know what it is willing to do.
I had a hip replacement after an accident in 2005, so I know orthopedic stuff takes awhile to heal. If the hematoma doesn't resolve by itself the docs might be able to drain it later if it bothers you.
I am glad your scans are sort of stable. The increase in the tumor markers might mean things can get worse in the future, so I am glad your oncologist is suggesting adding something a little stronger. You might want to ask Sheila more about her Halavan experience, but she seems very happy with her progress so far.
Take good care of yourself. I wish you peace, better health and happiness in 2011 and beyond.

caya 01-07-2011 12:08 PM

Pam I am also chiming in that of course you are tired - who wouldn't be with everything that you have been through? Only other thing I can mention here is that 7 years ago, pre BC, I had a hysterectomy and just could not get my energy back. Had some blood work done 3 weeks later and it seems that the hospital had sent me home from the surgery anemic... my big surgeon had trusted one of her underling residents to check everything out when I was released 5 days after the surgery... seems she signed off on my blood work without noticing my extremely low counts...

Of course taking iron supplements corrected this - just a thought.

and of course eating some chocolate couldn't hurt:)

all the best
caya

StephN 01-07-2011 12:25 PM

Dear Pam -

You have come over a large "hump" lately. You can't see very far down the horizon and that is always a hard feeling for me to cope with. You know you have a few more choice points ahead and it takes energy to think about that now.

Yours was not an ordinary ortho procedure and you had months of another disease process dragging you down.

All this in the midst of a hard winter and blammo - a funk. Knowing what that is about is the first step, then working within your limits to expand the "four walls" will help.

Is the hematoma from the surgery? I have found that using ARNICA (a homeopathic) both internally and externally helps bruising resolve a lot faster. There are tubes of gel and cream form, which are not expensive.

PinkGirl 01-07-2011 12:48 PM

I see I'm not the only one a bit ticked by the ortho's comment ... geez ... gimme a break ... give you a break ... maybe we could all get together and make a list for this doc ... the reasons why you might still be tired ... geesh...

Bonnie gave you great advice ... keep moving forward ... get some things going on to look forward to .... We're all here pulling for you PamGirl even if you're still tired :)

ElaineM 01-07-2011 01:58 PM

Just a thought Pam. Steph mentioned iron supplements. Great idea.
Some folks get constipated from iron supplements in pill form. I took liquid iron which did not cause constipation. It may be available at your local pharmacy if you want to try it. Sometimes we have to ask a pharmacy clerk if it is not on the shelf even though it ususlly does not require a prescription. They had it behind the counter in my local pharmacy.
I never had shots for low hemaglobin or low white blood counts. I never had a blood transfusion for low hemaglobin, because I used liquid iron and ate foods with iron and vitamin C.
Also either taking iron supplements or eating foods with iron works better when the person takes vitamin C supplements or eats foods with vitamin C around the same time as the iron.
Take care.

Chelee 01-07-2011 10:33 PM

Pam,
I get so fed up with doctors, surgeons and other medical ppl telling me how I should feel after a surgery, or procedure that they have never had done on themselves. Having your femur repaired is not a minor surgery. I know I certainly didn't bounce back as fast as my ortho onc told me I would. Far from it!

It's no wonder you would be feeling tired after all you have been through. Then there's always the endless doctors appts and decisions to make...it's very draining so go easy on yourself. The way your feeling sounds very normal to me after all you have been through. Hopefully that hematoma will resolve quickly so you can get the rads behind you and get started on the halaven to knock those tumor markers down. If your still using your walker...that alone is enough to make you tired. lol I wanted to throw mine across the room all the time...it's so restricting. Hang in there Pam...I know it's far from easy. Continued prayers for you.

Chelee

BonnieR 01-08-2011 12:19 AM

Chelee just reminded me of another gripe I have with my latest surgeon. I had been misdiagnosed with lung cancer and had a lobe of my lung removed. He was "suprised" I was "not happier" when he told me a few days later that it had all been a mistake. As I lay in the hospital hooked up to chest tubes....
They have no sensitivity.

michka 01-08-2011 12:40 AM

Pam, I am thinking of you so you can feel stronger and recover faster. You went through a lot and for anybody it takes some time to recover from hip surgery. I can understand you want that episode to be behind you and concentrate on your next move to get those markers down. Continue giving us news. Hugs. Michka

Karen Wheel 01-08-2011 12:35 PM

Thinking of you - hoping you are feeling stronger here anyday ... keep the faith we all have bad days! And hey - if your doctor wants to try taking your list of meds then maybe they would know why you are feeling a bit down! I always liked my doctors when they said how are you when you are chemo or Herceptin .... ugh! Yah, yah - but they are drugs and they can wipe us out! So ... hang in there and we are all pulling for you!
Karen

Jackie07 01-08-2011 01:16 PM

Pam,

Thanks for the update.

Watch some good comedy movies that will bring laughter - it increases the release of endorphin and will get rid of the 'depressed feeling'.

There are probably some 'safe' exercises you can do which may improve your mood and speed up recovery. I've watched before on PBS of a lady teaching exercising while sitting in a chair. Perhaps you can try that.

Sending you good vibes.

Joan M 01-08-2011 06:19 PM

Pam,

I'm glad your on the mend and you'll be getting your energy back soon. You've had major surgery, which is not easy. Keep the good reports coming.

Joan

Mary Jo 01-08-2011 06:29 PM

Hi Pam,

Just a gentle cyber hug I wanted to offer you!

Sent........you got it???

Love.....Mary Jo

TriciaK 01-08-2011 08:00 PM

I just want to add my thoughts and hugs to all the rest. You are always so quick to cheer others up (and on). I have appreciated so much your concern for me and want you to know how much you are loved and appreciated. You've gotten so much good advice here, and I don't have much to add about all the physical things you are going through, except to agree that you have a right to take it slow. I remember when I was fighting my first breast cancer (almost 26 years ago!) I had been very active with a large family and sharing a full-size psychology practice with my husband. Suddenly I was home, "doing nothing", feeling worthless and depressed about "not accomplishing anything." I told a doctor friend what I was feeling. I have reminded myself many times since of his comment and I think it is most appropriate for you now.He said: "You have to realize that you are working harder right now than you ever have in your life. Healing is hard work. Give your body all the help you can:rest, good food, positive thoughts, even pampering. And don't feel guilty about it!!" It is very good advice for you right now, along with all the rest you have received. I always remind myself that the scriptures say "And it came to pass", not "it came to stay". This too will pass and you will get stronger! Remember we are all thinking and praying for you. Hugs, TriciaK