HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   SBRT/Liver mets? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58025)

CoolBreeze 05-06-2013 03:58 PM

SBRT/Liver mets?

I'm way ahead of myself here, but I have a rads consult this Thursday. I've had liver mets for 2 years, had half my liver removed in a resection, also had an ablation. The good news is that cancer is still only in the liver, the bad news is it grew right back after resection/ablation. I have never been NED.

I've been on chemo for 3+ years (with herceptin/perjeta/zometa) but am struggling - my blood doesn't want to recover anymore, I've been having periods of sickness, etc.

My oncologist is great - he says if it's still in the liver there must be something they can do locally; he wants me to have a break from chemo and so I have a consult Thursday.

The doctor does SBRT so I assume that is what they'd be looking at for me. I know the resection complicates it, plus the cancer is growing near the portal vein so they may not want to do anything but I can't help but hope they will and give me some relief, however short.

Any experiences here?

*hugs*

KirisMum 05-06-2013 05:46 PM

Re: SBRT/Liver mets?

No experience, but if it helps any stereotactic radiation is a big thing here in New York; they're always talking about it. There's also something called TheraSphere, which is tiny little balls of glass that are injected into your tumors and emit radiation. Sounds kind of kinky to me. At any rate, I'm delighted they're offering you options and that the cancer is contained. Hope you feel better soon!!

Emy 05-06-2013 06:57 PM

Hi Ann....
I am very similar to you Er pos, prog neg, in my liver for 2 years, never NED....I wanted ablation 6 months ago, but my onc said no....When I saw the radiologist, they talked about Therasphere, but still said chemo was better....I have been taking perjeta, herceptin every 3weeks and taxol weekly....My tumor markers are down...Are you watching your tumor markers? maybe after a chemo break you will free better...

CoolBreeze 05-06-2013 08:39 PM

My doctor takes my tumor markers but for me, they are not indicative of anything. Always normal, no matter how big and bad my tumors get. :) I have scans every 3 months (minimum).

I've heard of therasphere but I think my liver resection complicates things. My SF doctor said he was afraid of doing anything because he may not leave me with any liver function. But, we'll see what they think here. It's been a while now and my liver should have grown back some (although it doesn't grow back like we all think it does).

CoolBreeze 05-09-2013 04:48 PM

Okay, so my consult was today. He says it will be risky but he can do this SBRT with me. He is going to talk to the radiology board about my case, then get more scans and then if it looks okay, go ahead. I'll have the markers put in the liver and then do the radiation, about five treatments. The danger is that the cancer is so close to the portal vein - he said veins usually handle radiation well but it could go "badly."

Interestingly, he said that the location is why the cancer grew back after the microwave ablation. Heating it or freezing it near veins is often counterproductive as the veins prevent the totally freezing/heating.

I should be very excited like I was with the liver resection but I guess I know now that things can go wrong. So I'll have to think carefully about risk/reward.

And, I'm worried about them putting the markers in as he said it would be about like a liver biopsy - and mine was extremely painful, like being stabbed. ARG. :)

jml 05-09-2013 07:26 PM

Hi CB~
You and I have similar hx's with our livers, so I wonder if chemoembolization would be an option for you?
I had a R heptectomy in2005, then in 2010 I had a mass in my liver.
The chemo embo was hugely successful and my liver has been NED ever since.

Keep the Faith~
Jml

CoolBreeze 05-10-2013 07:15 PM

Interesting jml. I will ask that question - ask ask if it can be done if the SBRT doesn't work. Good to know that there are all these treatments available!

Pray 05-14-2013 06:51 AM

Ann thinking of you and praying every thing will go smoothly for you. God bless you my friend

Adriana Mangus 05-20-2013 01:36 PM

Dear coolbreeze,

No experience with liver mets, but for what I'm reading
there are treatments available to you. Hang in there, I think of
you often.

Love,

Adriana

PS when is your son's graduation?

CoolBreeze 05-24-2013 08:35 PM

Hey all. I decided to go with it so the process will begin June 7th, with fiducial marker placement. At the end of June, they should be ready to start the radiation.

My bone marrow seems to be unable to handle chemo at this time. After each infusion, my counts drop very low and won't recover for weeks. So I am only getting gemzar about once a month now. This played a role in my decision to go with SBRT. And, many women get a couple extra years after doing it, which is my hope! I could go off chemo for a while and let my marrow recover and just stay on herceptin and perjeta (?) and zometa. (I don't know if people get perjeta without chemo - does anybody? Does it work that way?)

My son doesn't graduate until next year - he's a Junior. Right now he's at a competition in Georgia, so this is one thing I had to miss. Next year I don't want to miss anything!

Thank you all for your well-wishes. I'll let you all know how the process goes.

Emy 05-24-2013 09:10 PM

Ann...that's great.....I wish you well....I would like to have it done too...so keep me posted on how the procedure works.....yes I am sure you can take perjeta and herceptin alone......I get it every 3 weeks with taxol weekly....my side effects are minimal.....just went to my sons law school graduation last week.....I know exactly how you feel...stay positive......

Redwolf8812 05-24-2013 10:10 PM

Looking forward to more good news from you Ann!

:-)

Penny

NEDenise 05-25-2013 07:22 AM

Ann!
Sounds like a good plan!
I'll be thinking of you on the 7th!
Denise

CoolBreeze 07-10-2013 07:05 PM

Just an update to say that my SBRT will begin July 25th. I was just a *bit* off on the dates. :)

I'm about to kill that cancer. :)

Mandamoo 07-10-2013 07:46 PM

Cancer be gone! You go girl.

caya 07-10-2013 08:28 PM

You go girl - I'm cheering for you Ann to beat that cancer out on it's a**!!

all the best
caya

JennyB 07-10-2013 10:19 PM

Go away cancer - give Ann a break will you!

Jackie07 07-11-2013 04:45 AM

Hi Ann,

UCLA has a good site with detailed information about SBRT:

http://radonc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=61

Looks like it's a safe and effective procedure.

KirisMum 07-11-2013 06:45 AM

You go, girl!! In your cheering corner! XOXOX

cheery 07-11-2013 09:59 PM

Good luck with your procedure, Coolbreeze.

Recall we'd a short discussion on the fiducial markers and thought I'd update you. I've skipped that step as my doc is using a different machine. So I only have those tattoos you'd mentioned on your blog;) and yes, I wish they're multicoloured instead of greyish dots now! Think I want my money back cos the black dye faded and they've turned grey, lol..