HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The Role of Omega 3 and 6 in breast cancer (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34462)

R.B. 06-22-2008 04:36 AM

The Role of Omega 3 and 6 in breast cancer

Please see the Greek Diet Thread.

I have set a new title in case Omega 3 and 6 might catch the interest and the Greek Diet did not for new visitors to the site who are not aware the Greek Diet thread is primarily about omegas 3 and 6 in diet.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24410

Blood. 2008 Apr 1;111(7):3514-21. Epub 2008 Jan 23.Click here to read Links
Modulation of angiogenesis by omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids is mediated by cyclooxygenases.
Szymczak M, Murray M, Petrovic N.

Pharmacogenomics and Drug Development Group, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sydney, Camperdown, Australia.

"Both epidemiologic and experimental findings suggest that omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega-3 PUFAs), which are almost absent from typical Western diets, exert protective effects against cancer progression, although the precise mechanism of this suppression remains unknown. One of the potential targets for omega-3 PUFAs in cancer suppression is angiogenesis, a process of new blood vessel formation within rapidly growing tumors. Here, we demonstrate that omega-6 PUFAs stimulate and omega-3 PUFAs inhibit major proangiogenic processes in human endothelial cells, including the induction of angiopoietin-2 (Ang2) and matrix metalloprotease-9, endothelial invasion, and tube formation, that are usually activated by the major omega-6 PUFA arachidonic acid"

Kim in DC 06-22-2008 06:20 PM

Thanks R.B. In your opinion, how much should you take if you have mets?

Kim

ElaineM 06-22-2008 09:08 PM

The role of Omega 3 and 6 in breast cancer

Thanks. I need more omega 3. I just added some salmon to my diet.

R.B. 06-22-2008 11:17 PM

Elaine - More Salmon

Farmed Salmon is likely to be higher in Omega 6, although providing long chain Omega 3. Natural fish has a much higher ratio of Omega 3:6. See www.nutritiondata.com Small oily fish are a better choice as they like all fish provide all round nutrition. Fish oil provides the Omega 3 and the best ones are distilled so removing many of the pollutants.

Kim in DC.

I am sorry I cannot give guidelines as I am not an expert. Also there is a lack of agreement among the experts. If you read through the Greek Diet thread you will see some medical professionals head towards 3 grams a day of EPA plus DHA combined. Others suggest lower amounts. Some of this board have had benefits in inflammatory conditions with a couple of dessert spoons of fish oil a day which is more than 3 grams a day. A trial suggested the uptake in women drops off at about 2 grams of DHA a day which would be 2 about 2 small desert spoon (4 teaspoons). I would vote with the towards 3/4 grams DHA and EPA combined total a day rather than the low end based on reading round the subject for those trying to correct historic imbalance.

As well as including long chain sources it is equally as much about reducing the Omega 6 mother fat intake to balance the Omega 3 mother fat.

Please discuss dietary change with your Doctor. For a few Omega 3s can have side effects including blood thinning.

R.B.

www.omegasixthedevilsfat.com

ElaineM 06-23-2008 03:30 PM

The Role of Omega 3 and 6 in breast cancer

Thanks very much for all the information. I appreciate it.
I try to eat wild salmon that are not farmed.
Keep up the good work on the oils.

R.B. 06-29-2008 12:48 AM

I have not seen the full trial - the 20% fat is not all Omega 3 but I do not know now much was Omega 3 or what type.

RB

Modulation of murine mammary tumor vasculature by dietary n-3 fatty acids in fish oil.
Author: Mukutmoni Norris, M : Hubbard, N E : Erickson, K L
Citation: Cancer-Lett. 2000 Mar 13; 150(1): 101-9

We have previously shown that mice fed a high (n-3) fatty acid-containing diet with 20% (w/w) total fat had significantly slower mammary tumor growth, decreased numbers of metastatic pulmonary nodules, and decreased total metastatic load. In this study we sought to determine whether tumor vascularization was altered in mice fed diets varying in concentrations of (n-3) and (n-6) fatty acids. Several direct or indirect parameters of vascularization were tested. With 20% dietary fat, fish oil (FO) or a mixture of FO and safflower oil (FS) significantly reduced blood vascular area, mast cell number and macrophage infiltration in solid mammary tumors compared to tumors grown in mice fed safflower oil (SO). A decreasing trend was seen in the percent area of vessels positive for CD31 and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in the 20% FO and 20% FS compared to the 20% SO dietary groups. VEGF concentrations were twice as high in smaller tumors (100 mm3) from all dietary groups as compared to larger tumors (500 mm3). A two-fold increase in VEGF levels was found in the 20% SO dietary group compared to the 20% FO group in 100-mm3 but not larger tumors. We conclude that at 20% total fat, the n-3 fatty acids found in fish oil may inhibit primary mammary tumor growth through modulation of select determinants of vascularization.

R.B. 06-29-2008 12:50 AM

This post is again looking at the impact of types of fat including Omega 3s and 6s.

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...fp=59771fp.pdf

ABSTRACT

Suppression of Growth and Metastasis of
Human Breast Cancer Cells in vivo and
in vitro
H. Senzaki a, A. Tsubura a, H. Takada b
aDepartment of Pathology II, Kansai Medical University, and bDepartment of Surgery,
Kansai Medical University Kori Hospital, Osaka, Japan

The etiology of human breast cancer is complex and still poorly understood.
Carcinogenesis is frequently influenced by environmental factors, and epidemiological surveys have implicated diet as one of the most important factors; the major nutrient substance associated with increased breast cancer risk is dietary fat [1, 2]. The data linking dietary fat and human breast carcinogenesis are mainly epidemiological. Most notable is the case of the native Greenland Eskimos, whose diet is high in fat, but the age-adjusted risk of cancer in general, and of breast cancer in particular, is low [3, 4]. . . . CONTINUES

R.B. 06-29-2008 12:56 AM

Cancer and inflammaton.

Excess Omega 6 and lack of Omega 3 is arguably the root of inflammation.

RB

http://ict.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/1/1/7
Integrative Cancer Therapies, Vol. 1, No. 1, 7-37 (2002)
DOI: 10.1177/153473540200100102
© 2002 SAGE Publications
Nutritional and Botanical Modulation of the Inflammatory Cascade—Eicosanoids, Cyclooxygenases, and Lipoxygenases— As an Adjunct in Cancer Therapy
Jeanne M. Wallace, PhD, CNC

Emerging on the horizon in cancer therapy is an expansion of the scope of treatment beyond cytotoxic approaches to in clude molecular management of cancer physiopathology. The goal in these integrative approaches, which extends beyond eradicating the affected cells, is to control the cancer phenotype. One key new approach appears to be modulation of the inflammatory cascade, as research is expanding that links cancer initiation, promotion, progression, angiogenesis, and metastasis to inflammatory events. This article presents a literature review of the emerging relation ship between neoplasia and inflammatory eicosanoids (PGE2 and related prostaglandins), with a focus on how inhibition of their synthesizing oxidases, particularly cyclooxygenase (COX), offers anticancer actions in vitro and in vivo. Although a majority of this research emphasizes the pharmaceutical applications of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and selective COX-2 inhibitors, these agents fail to address alternate pathways available for the synthesis of proinflammatory eicosanoids. Evidence is presented that sug gests the inhibition of lipoxygenase and its by-products— LTB4, 5-HETE, and 12—HETE—represents an overlooked but crucial component in complementary cancer therapies. Based on the hypothesis that natural agents capable of modulating both lipoxygenase and COX may advance the efficacy of cancer therapy, an overview and discussion is presented of dietary modifications and selected nutritional and botanical agents (notably, omega-3 fatty acids, andoxi dants, boswellia, bromelain, curcumin, and quercetin) that favorably influence eicosanoid production.

R.B. 09-18-2018 01:44 AM

Re: The Role of Omega 3 and 6 in breast cancer

Bump - HI all sorry bumped the wrong thread - but it links through to the right thread

R.B. 09-18-2018 01:46 AM

As above I was trying the bimp the Omega 3 6 thread on the nutrition board and when it was not there repeated the process - sincere apologies)

SoCalGal 09-22-2018 09:54 AM

Hi RB,
Nice to see you on here again. I feel off the vitamins and supplements wagon this year. Good reminder that my good nutrition for the past decade could have played a part in my long term survival. Another reminder for me to get back to cleaner eating! Thanks for all your wise support over the years :)
Flori