HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My surgery----I didn't anticipate pain in my thighs (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31383)

Joanne S 11-30-2007 02:29 AM

My surgery----I didn't anticipate pain in my thighs

I had to have general anesthesia and epidurals in my back. The incisions are the same size or slightly larger than my original mastectomy incisions. Thank goodness no drains===just a compression bra. Doctor cleaned up all the internal capsular contracture scarring. It looks like the surgeon removed skin or the original scarred incision lines. Originally I had disolving stitches, but this time I have heavy black stiches which I imagine will have to be cut out. Prior to surgery my doc asked me what size I wished to be. I said I didn't need to be big, just enough to fill out my clothes. Well, it looks like I'm pretty small, (smaller than anticipated) but I guess that'll make me look more natural. The cosmetic part is not a concern, my pain and wellness is my focus concern.

My neck hurts, along with the entire surgical breast area and ribs which I expected, but I have unexpected pain in the front of my thighs whenever I try to move them. It feels like I severly strained my thigh muscles from exercising too much. And It's almost like they are paralyzed, but I feel pain. I feel best when I walk even though the thighs still have some pain, but if I sit in the recliner of lay down, my legs do not work--- I can't even lift them an inch--- and I need to call my husband or daughter to help me move in excruiting pain. Once I am up the pain dimishes. That seems So Weird to me---I didn't anticipate this! I see the doctor tomorrow so maybe he can shed some light on this. I pray this is all temporary.

Thanks my her2 cyberbuddies for your support and kindness,

Margerie 11-30-2007 03:42 AM

Joanne,

Hoping the thigh pain is something residual from the epidural or the surgical position of your legs. You will probably feel better each day. Congrats on your new petite girls- I hope they settle in nicely!

Sheila 11-30-2007 03:43 AM

Joanne
I had pain in my thigh after reconstruction...they said it had something to do with positioning??? and the pull to create a pocket to hold the implant...hope this is all yours is...glad the surgery is behind you!

Joanne S 11-30-2007 08:16 PM

Something does not seem right on this site, it has been sooo slow!

Thank you for your support Marjerie!

And thanks Shiela, Whew---I'm glad to hear I'm not totally alone. I know your surgery was a while ago, but do you recall how long your pain in your thighs lasted? or if there anything I can do to help?

I saw my plastic surgeon today. He didn't know why I have pain in my thighs so he suggested we play the wait and see game.

He said in all his 20+ years of performing reconstructions, he had never seen capsular scarring as thick and hard as mine was---it was over 1/2 inch---mostly from radiation. No wonder I was in so much pain. I took off the compression bra and these girls are so soft---Wow! I was surprised to see my incision lines were just as long as my original mastectomy incisions. He had trimmed up the incision line scarring and put in all new black stitches --- made everything so much smoother and symetrical. And loosened the muscles under my armpits and he moved the babies closer together and out of my armpits. I go back in three weeks to get the stitches removed. I can't express how happy I am to have those darn expanders out and with the new results!!! I won't know how much pain has been eliminated yet, but I know the pressure is a great deal less. And Thank goodness for Motrin and Vicodyn!

God Bless!

Joan M 11-30-2007 09:38 PM

Joanne,

I'm glad to hear that your surgery was successful.

Enjoy your new look. What we girls go throught to look good! I had DIEP flap reconstruction where the plastic surgeon took fat from my tummy (AKA a tummy tuck) and put it in my right breast after my mastectomy. My new breast is larger than my other breast, so these things are not exactly perfect science. And if I were vain, I could get the left breast enlarged to match, but I think not.

I do remember having some leg pain, rather than thigh pain, after my mastectomy and after my lung surgery, but it was more like restless-legs pain. That is, when I walked around it felt better, but when I was lying down my legs really bothered me. It went away pretty quickly, and I thought at the time it was due to the anesthesia.

Joanne S 12-03-2007 05:07 AM

Good news! The pain in my thighs is completely gone!

And my new girls are feeling better too!

Thanks for all your notes!!!
Jo

Sheila 12-03-2007 06:33 AM

Joanne
They must have used thigh muscles to help carry the new girls!!!! I am so glad you are feeling better...mine didn't last long either, but I remember the pain!

Believe51 12-03-2007 10:42 AM

A Job Well Done...!!

Joanne, so happy to hear that the surgery went so well and that you are feeling better now. Been thinking of you and wondering how you are healing?? Thanks for keeping us posted with your operation and the outcome. Continued healing prayers. Sending Love and Giant Hugs>>Believe51