HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Christine our Founder needs Cards & Prayers (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53406)

Sheila 03-08-2012 12:54 PM

Christine our Founder needs Cards & Prayers

Our Founder of this site, Christine Druther has had a major setback. Seems she suffered a stroke in the past week, and the doctors found a small tumor in her brain that's affecting her ability to walk. She has been taken to a skilled nursing facility for rehab. All of this is very hard on her 2 daughters, Danielle and Debra, and they would appreciate any one in the area that can visit to do so, and the rest of us to send cards to let Chris know how much she means to all of us. Danielle sent me this message before Chris was moved to the skilled care facility.

I haven't had a chance to really sit down with any of her doctors yet but I talked to one last night that said the mass of scar tissue that's been in her cerebellum for some time now has grown and is probably responsible for why she's unable to walk (what I took her in for) and it's surrounded by inflammation, which they want to treat with decadron. The only thing that makes me nervous about that is the effects that particular steroid has on blood sugar, considering my mom has taken it before and now has diabetes because of it. The stroke showed up in her MRI but as far as i can tell, she's at her base level behaviorally and there's no particular weakness on either side specifically that I've seen. I'm just not sure if she will walk again or if the anti inflammatory properties of the steroid will help restore better function to that area of the brain.

Lets send her all our love and prayers with an avalanch of cards! She has done so much for all of us!
To send a card to let her know we are thinking of her:

Christine Druther
Emeritus of Carmel Valley Room 185
13101 Hartfield Avenue
San Diego , CA 92130

Mary Anne in TX 03-08-2012 01:22 PM

Re: Christine our Founder needs Cards & Prayers

Thank you Sheila!

Jackie07 03-08-2012 02:29 PM

Thank you, Sheila. I just put a card in the mail.

bejuce 03-08-2012 03:29 PM

Oh no!!! What horrible news! I've always looked up to Christine as an inspiration and as a reminder that we can all pull through this disease no matter how dire the circumstances. But now this...

I'll definitely send a card/care package to them of some form.

Thanks for updating us,

Marcia

ElaineM 03-08-2012 03:56 PM

Consider it done. I will send her a greeting as soon as I can. Thanks for letting us know.

Yorkiegirl 03-08-2012 05:12 PM

This is so very sad. I will get a card out in the mail to her.

Christine has always remained in my thoughts.

JennyB 03-08-2012 06:24 PM

Thanks for letting us know - how devastating for them all hope she can regain normal function soon.

Jenny x

caya 03-08-2012 07:23 PM

So sorry to hear this news about Christine.

I will put a card in the mail tomorrow.

Fervently praying for Christine.

all the best
caya

Danielle 03-08-2012 07:35 PM

Mom was taken off Decadron once her neurologist was able to meet up with her, and the area of scar tissue in her brain is apparently getting smaller not larger as originally thought which was a huge relief to my sister and me. It's amazing what a second (and sometimes even third!) opinion can find. She's working very very hard at her rehab center just trying to get her balance and coordination back, and so far she's been doing us very proud. I'll be honest in saying she's a little bored in there, so getting cards and visitors would mean so much to her! Hearing from her loved HER2 ladies would be some amazing motivation to her as she continues on with her physical and occupational therapy. Thank you so much for getting the word out, Sheila!!

Hugs,
Danielle Druther :)

Ellie F 03-09-2012 05:41 AM

Thanks for the update Danielle. I hope and pray your mum continues to make good progress.
Did they decide on any treatment for the new tumour? or was it really scar tissue.

Hugs
Ellie

schoolteacher 03-09-2012 06:00 AM

Thanks, Shelia. I am sending a card today.

Amelia

sarah 03-09-2012 06:45 AM

Thank you Sheila for letting us know. Terrible news. My husband and I hope for her speedy recovery. She is so amazing and inspiring. I know we all love and care about her very much. What would we have all done without her and Joe.
I know you will express our concern and love to her.
hugs and love
Sarah
I will pop a card in the mail

Emelie B 03-09-2012 09:53 AM

Thank you Sheila. Sending card today.
Emelie

chrisy 03-09-2012 10:05 AM

Thanks for the update, Danielle. Don't forget to take care of yourself as well!

yanyan 03-09-2012 12:48 PM

Thanks Sheila. Will send a card to Christine tomorrow. She has been an inspiration for so many people!

Catherine 03-09-2012 01:32 PM

Thank you Sheila...just sent a card and now I am praying for Christine and her family.

Hugs to all,

Danielle 03-09-2012 02:59 PM

Ellie, when her general hospital physician had initially looked at the MRI, he thought the scar tissue she had had in her cerebellum had gotten larger with a fair amount of new edema surrounding it, so his initial instinct was to get her on Decadron for the swelling. But once she was visited by her neurologist and radiation oncologist the next morning, they both seemed to feel that the scar tissue was actually SMALLER than it had been and that keeping her on steroids wasn't necessary at all. So she was only on Decadron for about two days and was taken off of it immediately afterward.

Right now their only care plan is getting her motor skills and general sense of balance improved in the nursing skills facility and seeing how far they can advance that before sending her back home. I do know she has follow-ups scheduled with both her neurologist and her onc in the near future, so I'm hoping that's when the more specific course of action kicks in.

Thank you for helping us root Mom on, ladies! Stroke recovery is something that's going to require a lot of endurance and focus from her, and I want her and everyone at the facility to know she's a very special lady.

jml 03-09-2012 06:45 PM

Thank you Sheila for letting us know.
And thank you so much Danielle for the update.
Our prayers, thoughts, energy & love are focused on you guys!
Take good care of your mom and each other~

Keep us posted!

Jessica

KDR 03-09-2012 06:54 PM

Thanks for letting us know about Christine. I will be sure to get something special in the mail to her tomorrow.
Karen

sassy 03-09-2012 08:05 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with Christine, Debra and Danielle. Please take care of yourselves as well as Mom.

Much love to you all.