HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   AAARRGHH!! DENIED financial assistance by Tykerb "CARES & CANCERCARE (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40757)

jml 08-14-2009 03:15 PM

AAARRGHH!! DENIED financial assistance by Tykerb "CARES & CANCERCARE

UGH!
Can someone explain to me the logic behind being DENIED any patient assistance/access to Tykerb or other drugs on the basis that I do not already have prescription coverage???
But if I did have coverage I would be eligible for their assistance?

IS THIS NOT COMPLETELY BACKWARDS & TOTAL NONSENSE or AM I CHEMOCRAZY?

If I had prescription coverage, I may not need financial assistance or free drug!

I am so frustrated & upset by this whole process of applying, pulling all my financial records together, supplying a statement about why I need financial assistance, having to wait for my doc to complete their share, etc only to be DENIED assistance when I need it most, is ABSURD!
And then speaking to the Tykerb "Cares" rep, only to have them say "we're not denying you. you just need to apply to a different program" and start the WHOLE PROCESS OVER AGAIN makes me SO ANGRY!

When the rep said, "I understand your frustration...", I EXPLODED and said "NO, YOU DON'T. AND I HOPE YOU NEVER DO. I am asking for your help so that I have access to TYKERB to treat MBC, not Latisse because I'm trying to grow longer eyelashes."

I'm so dejected & disheartened. I can not afford the $1500/week out of pocket for Tykerb + Xeloda (who can after 7+years of being financially ravaged by this disease?!)

So what now??
I go back to older drugs that are covered under my general medical plan, even though I've progressed on Herceptin, Gemzar, Taxol, Navelbine?

Has anyone had any luck with any of the "assistance" programs?

Signing off to pour myself a GIANT glass of wine...
yet trying to Keep the Faith~

Jessica

whatz 08-14-2009 05:35 PM

Re: AAARRGHH!! DENIED financial assistance by Tykerb "CARES & CANCERCARE

Can't tell where you live but Mississippi has an organization called Pink Ribbon Society that helps with bills. Maybe not to the magnitude of $1500/week but some (and if you find other organizations it could add). Unfortunately this organization is restricted only to a list of counties within Mississippi. I have more information if it would apply to you.

Laurel 08-14-2009 05:42 PM

Jessica, I have no helpful incites, but I am hurting with you and for you in this plight to obtain the med you need. I will pray you find a way.

Joe 08-14-2009 06:26 PM

Jessica,

Your post has been forwarded to our contact at GSK. She has been very helpful in the past.

Regards
Joe

rl2 08-14-2009 06:27 PM

How horrible, to have to deal with this on top of everything else. So you applied for one program but you might be eligible for another and you have to start over? Does anyone in these jobs actually want to take some responsibility?

Anyway, I would go on line maybe to the American Cancer Society or the Lance Armstrong Foundation and see what they suggest, seems like they both have some strategies dealing with this.

Don't want to get people upset about the need for health care reform in this country, but this is another example.

Enjoy the wine.

Believe51 08-14-2009 09:33 PM

If you already have not done so, assign one of your favorite nurses and keep her in your loop. She will be a contact of sorts at the doctors and will be the single person there helping you with things like this. In the meantime, your post has been forwarded by Joe so those wheels are turning. Do not give up yet, stay strong...you are going to need it when the Tykerb shows up in the mail (smiling).>>Believe51

ElaineM 08-15-2009 03:52 PM

Have you tried Partnership for Prescription Assistance?
They have a website, so if you do a search on Yahoo or Google you will find it. From there you might be able to find the contact nearest you. Good luck.

Darlene Denise 08-16-2009 04:14 PM

Jessica: Are you perhaps eligible for the T-DM1 trials? Just a thought. Hope things go your way!

Darlene

Joe 08-17-2009 10:52 AM

Jessica,

Please call 760-602-9178 ASAP for help with your problem.

Regards
Joe

hutchibk 08-17-2009 04:53 PM

Joe has given you the most valuable info... best of luck. But here is the link to "commitment to access" for GSK oncology drugs. Maybe it will provide extra info for you as well.

http://www.CommitmentToAccess.com/about/faqs.html#b

My cancer clinic has a pharmaceutical advocate who helped me wind through the maze - which I think is required by GSK. Let us know how it all works out.

jml 08-18-2009 10:17 AM

Thank you everyone for your kind responses, advice and support. You guys are always here to "talk me off the ledge" with just the right things to say & do.
And thank you so much, Joe for passing on my note to GSK.
I had to take a step back & just not deal with it for a couple of days as I was (obviously) getting too emotional about the whole thing. Fortunately, this is my 'off' week from Xeloda & I've managed to find some room on my credit card for the Tykerb for this week.
I'm confident that this will all be resolved & I will have access to the drug, eventually...I just have to stay focused, do the paperwork & BE PATIENT!

Thank you again my Her2 Family of Friends~

Keeping the Faith!!!

Jessica

Naudia 06-29-2011 10:34 AM

This is horrible. It really doesn't make sense to me. I had a friend who ran into the same problem when she applied for assistance. I am praying for you, and hope that you find a way to get the help that you need. Best wishes. I am wondering if anyone has ever been to Dr. Robert Goulet? Is he a good doctor? Thank you.

Rich66 06-29-2011 11:21 PM

jml's post was from 08-18-2009. I suspect Tykerb cares came through

Jackie07 07-01-2011 04:34 AM

Jessica is currently on PI3Kinase+Herceptin study after being booted off T-DM1 (after 6 months):

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...745#post252745

pibikay 07-02-2011 04:37 AM

I just heard that our insurance does not cover tykerb.Herecptin is covered a it is administered IV.They rejected it once and I went through the cancer aid society .Then they gave the detailed explNtion saying only hospitalisation is covered.Looking out for other policies.

Lindy 08-22-2011 04:54 PM

Thank you all for sharing, my oncologist treats me like Dead Woman Walking. You are so uplifting.

Lindy 08-22-2011 04:57 PM

Oh, I am undecided on Tykerb as it is not covered by my insurance and the co-pay is $1600 a month. I have to have $600 out of pocket on meds to qualify to submit a request for financial assistance. More absurdity! I wish you great speed in getting your Tykerb.

Guest 08-25-2011 11:01 AM

My daughter Emily at age 31 was diagnosed with Stage 4 bc. She has been doing well in treatment for 20 months. Two weeks ago, a PET/CT scan showed progression w/ 3 new lesions. Her onc added tykerb to her regimen of herceptin and tamoxifen. Her insurance covers 50%, so her co-pay for a month of Tykerb is $1800!!!! Except for 4 weeks off for mastectomy and liver resection, she has worked. Therefore her income is too high to qualify for Tykerbcares (although she would qualify if she lived in Alaska). She does work in New york city and you'd think the income level there would carry the same weight.

It is just crushing that along with everything else, she is faced with this financial blow. We have contacted at least 13-14 foundations without much luck, many said they were out of funds for breast cancer. I am asking if there is a contact at GSK that could hear our story and give assistance.

Thank you,
Janet (also a bc survivor diagnosed 9 months after Emily)