HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Arimidex vs generic Anastrozole (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51802)

Barbara2 10-17-2011 08:01 AM

Arimidex vs generic Anastrozole

I know that ER+ Her2+ is a fairly small group, but I am wondering how many of you are still taking Arimidex or have switched to the generic Anastrozole. (And maybe it is not a choice anymore?)

Do you have concerns that Anastrozole may not be as effective as Arimidex? Have you discussed this with your onc?

Thanks!

Becky 10-17-2011 10:08 AM

Re: Arimidex vs generic Anastrozole

My oncologist says they are the same and theoretically, they are. Hopefully they are working the same as I don't have joint symptoms or anything else to really go by. I have been on the generic about a year (since it came out) and don't have much as far as options due to my pharmaceutical insurance plan.

Pray 10-17-2011 09:39 PM

Becky,

If someone has joint pain does that mean the Arimidex is working?

Your Friend,

Nancy

Becky 10-18-2011 04:31 AM

No - it just means that you are experiencing one of the side effects. It is working - to prove it to yourself, get your onc to run your estradiol and estrone levels in your blood.

Pray 10-18-2011 09:57 PM

Thank you Becky, Your advice is always appreciated!

Rich66 10-18-2011 10:34 PM

Barbara,
Do you have a realistic choice in the matter? FWIW, I have read somewhere that there is a margin relayive to original that any generic needs to hit..i.e. might not have to be as potent all the time as the original. But as mentioned, could check up on things by periodically testing circulating estradiol etc.

Barbara2 10-20-2011 07:08 PM

I have not checked to see if my insurance would pay for Arimidex because I assumed the generic was as good, so the thought of asking for Arimidex had never crossed my mind. But last week my estradiol (25) was more than it was when I was taking Arimidex (13) so that is when I began to wonder how "equal" they are. (My onc says he likes the level to be 25 or less.)

Plus, my onc recently decided to start doing estradiol tests on a regular basis for his patients, so that also made me wonder if he is sort of checking to see how his patients levels are and if he might be questioning the effectiveness of Anastrozole. He didn't say that, of course...those were just my thoughts.

When I picked up the Anastrozole at the pharmacy today, the clerk commented that this pill may look different than the last bottle, as the manufacturer is different. So there are several manufacturers in the works, too.