HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Interstitial lung disease and CEA levels (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61584)

waterdreamer 08-04-2014 11:24 PM

Interstitial lung disease and CEA levels

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8138663

It appears that those of us with lung issues appear to have raised CEA levels - the question is -
Is it a new metastasis OR is it lung damage as a treatment side effect?

"Bronchiolar and alveolar cells appear primarily responsible for CEA-like substance production."

I feel that this is a crucial question that needs to be explored.
Does interstitial lung disease have increased FDG uptake on a PET/CT scan? If yes, how does one tell the difference, between interstitial lung disease and cancer growth?

CarolineC 08-05-2014 08:17 AM

Re: Interstitial lung disease and CEA levels

I've been wondering the exact same thing-I have lung thingies and my CEA is now 37, although I've also been having a hard time with what I believe to have been shingles fallout and an idiot (don't like to use that word, but it's a fact) doctor who punctured my lung in May.

I've wondered about lifestyle as well. The lung spots were noted after I ran 8km a few days before the scan. Now I just sit and try to adopt an anti-inflammatory diet before a scan. Do you have scans or TMs checked close to when you have been diving? I think about what happens to a water bottle when it's in a plane and wonder if the effect of your diving is showing on a scan and isn't cancer.

Rolepaul 08-05-2014 09:21 AM

Okay, this is going to sound strange, but I worked on the CEA tests in 1984-1985 time frame and the CEA does have issues with being specific enough to be a go/no go detection method. The increase from 30s to 50s is a definite concern though. The MRI scans will show higher uptake in scarred or areas under repair. Scuba Diving damages your lungs with each dive. That will be picked up by the MRI Scans. Same with flying for over four hours on the plane 1-4 days before being given the contrast agent. Ask the doctor to look at prior to the contrast agent for issues.

waterdreamer 08-05-2014 11:19 AM

The PET/CT scans were taken prior to any scuba diving. I was a scuba instructor for many years, doing multiple dives every day. All my scans after stopping my career where clear, that is until I got mets from a primary (breast). Thank you for your advice, I will see what can be determined on my next scans prior to contrast being given.

waterdreamer 09-19-2014 10:14 PM

I have to update. The rising of my CEA levels is due to lung mets not damage to my lungs caused by chemo. I believe my next choice of treatment is going to be Lapatinib/Xeloda. Sure is going to be interesting... My CEA's are now at 71 - they seem to be a good marker for me.

KDR 09-20-2014 06:57 PM

Hello, Fern-
My dear friend-I will be calling you.
Have much to tell and suggest.
All good.
Love
Karen

Mtngrl 09-20-2014 07:46 PM

I'm so sorry you're facing progression. I hope this new course will get you stable again.

I have never had tumor markers. Sometimes I think that might be a good thing.

waterdreamer 09-20-2014 11:57 PM

Hi Karen,
All is good, you know the battle only too well.
I tried to call the other evening and spoke to Yasmin, you were out working, living life.
I look forward to talking,
Love
Fern

waterdreamer 09-20-2014 11:59 PM

Hi Amy,
My CA15 and CA27-29 are always in the normal range, they mean nothing in terms of where my disease is at, but the CEA's are now proving to be very predictive for me. I am beginning to think that I would rather do CEA blood draws than scans...
Best wishes
Fern

KDR 09-21-2014 07:38 PM

Fern,
Check your PM.
Yours,
Karen
Yasmin did not mention the call.

Mtngrl 09-22-2014 07:15 AM

As I've said before, lungs are complicated!

I found an article a couple of years ago that said some lung lesions look like metastatic breast cancer but are actually benign. I remember when I was first diagnosed someone said that most people who live in cities and breathe polluted air have stuff in their lungs.

In my case, I have a positive lung biopsy (which surprised me. I requested the biopsy because I thought it would rule out lung mets.) That complicates figuring out what's happening in my lungs.

Fern, I hope you're doing well.