HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ~Mighty Oak's Gamma Knife~September 10, 2008~ (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35362)

Believe51 09-02-2008 12:15 PM

~Mighty Oak's Gamma Knife~September 10, 2008~

Wanted to ask for some prayers on the 10th for Ed's Gamma Knife Procedure. We are quite confident that this will do the miracles we are begging for. Good thing is from the last set of scans, especially the Petscan, the rest of the body came out clean from the head down. If we can manage these new but aggressive brain mets.....I know we shall be dancing with NED finally!!>>Believe51

PS: The Neurosurgeon spent over a half an hour just talking about 'music' with the big guy. We are completely confident with his medical knowledge and rather impressed with his bedside manner. Besides, anyone that can talk THAT deep and long about music with Ed is a surefire winner in his book. (wink, wink!).

Ceesun 09-02-2008 12:30 PM

So glad to know an action plan is in the works. I will send along some prayers. Ceesun

Mary Anne in TX 09-02-2008 12:43 PM

I'll be praying for you both!

Joan M 09-02-2008 02:29 PM

Marie,

You and Ed are in my prayers. He's very brave, as are all the sisters here who have used either the Cyber or Gamma Knife to fight their brain mets. I'm so thankful that you have this option.

Joan

dhealey 09-02-2008 02:40 PM

Prayers coming your way. God Bless!

WomanofSteel 09-02-2008 03:19 PM

I will definitely keep you both in my prayers.

karenann 09-02-2008 03:55 PM

I believe the gamma knife will do the job!

Prayers being sent.

Karen

Joe 09-02-2008 04:42 PM

Marie,
This should cheer you up:

Surgery without a knife

Gamma Knife is a very precise and effective instrument that uses radiation to treat the brain and is often called radiosurgery. Using this method, doctors are able to focus radiation directly, and very precisely, on the target in the brain without affecting surrounding healthy tissue.
Studies show strong treatment success rates; for example, local control (successful treatment of a specific site) of tumors in any brain location exceeds an average of 85%. And, despite the name, there is no blade or knife – it’s called Gamma Knife because radiosurgery (one-session treatment) has such a dramatic and precise effect in the target zone that the changes are considered ‘surgical.’ So there’s no incision or blood, and minimal risk of complications.

Jackie07 09-02-2008 05:02 PM

Yes, Marie, we will be praying for Ed. Joe is right. Gamma knife is a 'radiosurgery' which is more of a radiation treatment than a 'knife' surgery. The powerful treatment and the gentle effect to the surrounding normal brain tissues makes it a top choice for people who have things growing in their brain.

I had three 'shots' back in 2001. I did get tired easily for a while - perhaps less than 2, 3 weeks. We'll keep you in our prayers.

chrisy 09-02-2008 05:17 PM

Marie (and Ed),
You are ALWAYS in my prayers - and I will specifically focus on the upcoming gamma knife date. It is so good that you are comfortable with the doctor both as a clinician AND as a human being.

All my love, and prayers for a successful procedure

Chris

Becky 09-02-2008 05:32 PM

Dear Marie

No need to ask, the prayers are already being said.

Bill 09-02-2008 05:43 PM

Marie, you and Ed are both in my prayers. Thanks for keeping us posted. Love, Bill

Patty F 09-02-2008 05:47 PM

Marie and Ed....You are both in my prayers. Soon again you will be dancing with NED.

StillHere 09-02-2008 07:00 PM

Marie and Ed.
I am so glad to see that you are both still fighting the good fight. My thoughts have always been with you. Just could not get my fingers to log on. I have a lot of catching up to do. Love Always, Karen

mariapiedra 09-02-2008 08:33 PM

I'm new to the site, I've been reading your inspirational stories. I'll be sending prayers your way.

Leslie's sister 09-03-2008 05:17 AM

Prayers

Marie:

I'm praying right now Marie.

Love,

Lisa

schoolteacher 09-03-2008 01:10 PM

Marie,

You and Ed will be in my prayers.

Amelia

Sheila 09-03-2008 05:03 PM

Dear marie
Know that I am holding you both close to my heart, and always in my prayers....may Sept. 10 come quickly and be successful...you both so deserve it!!!!
Love and Hugs

juanita 09-03-2008 05:37 PM

My prayers will be with you both! He's so lucky to have you!

SoCalGal 09-03-2008 09:29 PM

been there!

Hi Marie (and Ed)-
Compared to what you've endured the gamma is a cake walk. I went in at 7 and was home by 11:00. Only took a half of an ativan. The nurse said I seemed nervous which totally pissed me off since she had never met me. After pointing that out to her she backed off. My doc was great and when I said I needed a minute he completely stopped and just gave me a second to catch my breath. There was no pain. It was a very weird sensation when they "screw" the halo into your head. Not painful but a weird pressure that is just so un-natural that I needed a second to adjust before he continued. The brain surgeon did the screwing. Haha. The radiation oncologist assisted and apparently there was also a physicist or something like that doing calcs in the other room. Once they get the halo on the "hard" part is over. They will then do a scan where they click you into place for a precise mapping. Again - weird but if I can do it anyone can. The ativan really helped take the edge off my nerves. This scan gets to the micro slices in the brain so they ensure that there are no more spots to zap and that they zap all they see. Next you wait about 30 minutes while they do the calcs and planning. The only thing you can do at this time is just sit very still as this halo is on your head but also helmut like and in front of your face a little bit. I was able to drink through a straw. The actual gamma was less then 10 minutes if I remember correctly. I only had one spot to zap so it can vary on the number of little spots. Once the zapping is done they quickly just unscrew the halo and you are done. They wrapped my head in gauze for about 15 minutes to make sure I wasn't bleeding and that I felt fine (which I did). They did not shave my hair or put any excessive dressing on when I left. My head felt oddly numb for several days around the screw holes. I was slightly bruised but went out that weekend for sure. I went home on gamma day and rested but the next day and weekend I was fine. I did not have any pain or bad headache. It was really a miracle treatment. I know it will work the same miracle for you! Feel free to pm me if there is anything else I can say and sorry if I said more than you wanted to hear. xo xo Flori